Real Bacon Sandwich

Philly1860

12 hours ago, Philly1860 said:

Never tried to get some sent.

Now I have an Idea for care package...Clonakilty Pudding, Barry's Tea, Hunky Dorys Cheese & Onion Crips (yes crisps not chips 😁) and Cadbury's Mint Chocolate for the better half) for a start.

The won't send pudding or sausages to the US but several companies do care packages of Irish staples. 

As it happens I'm feeling hungry now. Time for brunch. I bought some premium dry cured rashers yesterday. Bacon sandwich coming up.

I like your Avatar,  philly. I served six years in D Coy, 20th Batt, 'The Pearse' from '78 to '84. When were you in, that's the early patch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

The won't send pudding or sausages to the US but several companies do care packages of Irish staples. 

As it happens I'm feeling hungry now. Time for brunch. I bought some premium dry cured rashers yesterday. Bacon sandwich coming up.

I like your Avatar,  philly. I served six years in D Coy, 20th Batt, 'The Pearse' from '78 to '84. When were you in, that's the early patch?

Hi Noel,

yea we overlapped I was in '82 to '85 Mick Doheny (RIP) was our Cpl.  I did have an image of the newer D Coy flash but can't find it, need to look through some old HD's to see if I saved it anywhere.  On the hunt for one and Rifle Colar devices for a Shadow Box. 

Colin

15 hours ago, Philly1860 said:

I'm going to have just a bacon, butter and bread one with a pot of Barry's Tea while watching the 6 Nations on Saturday...oh no 2 more topics to divide people...😆

Having just run across this thread, I was amused by that Colin, as I sit here sipping my Barry's as I read.  Americans have never understood my predilection for hot tea as the preferred morning beverage, nor how I managed both a military and a municipal service career without ever acquiring a coffee habit.  What can I say but that old habits die hard?

As a child reared in Ireland in the 1960s and '70s, tea was a staple, and the cure for all ills.  The family took the habit to America when we emigrated (supposedly for 5 years) to Texas when I was mid-teens.

Later, as a US Marine infantryman, tea was hard to come by.  But stationed in Norway in 1980 we were teamed up with the Royal Marines as "The Baddies" during a large month-long NATO exercise.  The RMs of course had a brew up as soon as motion stopped, so I quickly became known in the Brit camp as I toddled over with my tin mug looking to snare some tea.  Quite soon, whenever there was a brew up in the British camp, I'd hear "Oi!  Yanks!  Where's yer Paddy Marine?  Tea up!"

We used to be able to have sausages, puds, and other delights shipped over here, but that ended a few years ago.  It was also possible to bring some back in luggage from trips home, but not anymore.  I've been allowed to bring in a loaf or two of brown bread, but no meat products.  Sigh....

Right, on the topic of bacon sandwiches - my preference is plain bread, butter, bacon.  But I've tried, or would be willing to try, pretty much anything suggested so far.  Except possibly ketchup.  And definitely no cheese, as I think cheese in all its forms is the most disgusting thing ever squeezed out of a cow.  A minority opinion, perhaps, but one I am fervently attached to.  😁

Cheers

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CH-53D said:

Having just run across this thread, I was amused by that Colin, as I sit here sipping my Barry's as I read.  Americans have never understood my predilection for hot tea as the preferred morning beverage, nor how I managed both a military and a municipal service career without ever acquiring a coffee habit.  What can I say but that old habits die hard?

As a child reared in Ireland in the 1960s and '70s, tea was a staple, and the cure for all ills.  The family took the habit to America when we emigrated (supposedly for 5 years) to Texas when I was mid-teens.

Later, as a US Marine infantryman, tea was hard to come by.  But stationed in Norway in 1980 we were teamed up with the Royal Marines as "The Baddies" during a large month-long NATO exercise.  The RMs of course had a brew up as soon as motion stopped, so I quickly became known in the Brit camp as I toddled over with my tin mug looking to snare some tea.  Quite soon, whenever there was a brew up in the British camp, I'd hear "Oi!  Yanks!  Where's yer Paddy Marine?  Tea up!"

We used to be able to have sausages, puds, and other delights shipped over here, but that ended a few years ago.  It was also possible to bring some back in luggage from trips home, but not anymore.  I've been allowed to bring in a loaf or two of brown bread, but no meat products.  Sigh....

Right, on the topic of bacon sandwiches - my preference is plain bread, butter, bacon.  But I've tried, or would be willing to try, pretty much anything suggested so far.  Except possibly ketchup.  And definitely no cheese, as I think cheese in all its forms is the most disgusting thing ever squeezed out of a cow.  A minority opinion, perhaps, but one I am fervently attached to.  😁

Cheers

Rory,

If you had been a Chief you would never have escaped the coffee addiction.  Any visit to a Chief's Mess would reinforce this but some of their traditions around their coffee cups well not for me!  I hear ya on the Hot tea topic not too common here in Texas 😄.  Don't forget the cure for all Sudacrem and Ayrton's magic creams.  Have introduced Sudacrem to friends with nippers here in the US.  Brought back a suitcase load for my little one (still have a tub or two).

My 1st job on a building site during summer holidays as a 12-year-old was as a Tea boy.  Little but of Tea info Ireland consumes the largest quantity (by tonnage) of high-quality tea in the world the vast majority blended y Irish Tea Packers such as good old Barry's. 

Find it hard to get nice white bread (oh for a loaf of fresh (still warm from the bakery) Brennans.  I make my own brown soda bread and also scones, Haven't perfected it yet but is very passable and simple to make.  

Have to disagree with you on the cheese, well some cheeses not all.  I do lean on the cheese like bacon makes everything taste better side.

Possible Chat Topics for next week might include:

• Tea - Loos Leaf or Tea bags
  • Barry's or Lyons (for the Irish)
  • 6 Nations Rugby
  • Marmite or Vegemite😄

Colin

• Like 2

Bacon butty, sauce optional. But if you add a fried egg it becomes an egg Banjo! That's official!

Now, bread? Bap? roll? cob? bun? balm cake? Wrap? Croissant? Baguette? Hot cross bun? We need a comparison competition I think. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Sure, you won't be liking the White Pudding then.... 

When you eat a steak (or similar meat), a percentage of your consumption is blood. Is black/white pudding radically different from that? Personally, I think not. 

Just my two penneth. 

Chris.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

When you eat a steak (or similar meat), a percentage of your consumption is blood. Is black/white pudding radically different from that? Personally, I think not. 

Just my two penneth. 

Chris.  

I think they are different.  They have a lot of common ingredients black pudding also referred to as a blood pudding specifically has pig blood added whereas white pudding doesn't.  Not sure on the exact % of blood that would be found in typical white pudding but I would guess it is very small.  The point is none is added to white pudding but actually is added to black pudding so not sure if this qualifies as a radical difference.

Colin

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Philly1860 said:

Rory,

If you had been a Chief you would never have escaped the coffee addiction.  Any visit to a Chief's Mess would reinforce this but some of their traditions around their coffee cups well not for me!  I hear ya on the Hot tea topic not too common here in Texas 😄.  Don't forget the cure for all Sudacrem and Ayrton's magic creams.  Have introduced Sudacrem to friends with nippers here in the US.  Brought back a suitcase load for my little one (still have a tub or two).

My 1st job on a building site during summer holidays as a 12-year-old was as a Tea boy.  Little but of Tea info Ireland consumes the largest quantity (by tonnage) of high-quality tea in the world the vast majority blended y Irish Tea Packers such as good old Barry's. 

Find it hard to get nice white bread (oh for a loaf of fresh (still warm from the bakery) Brennans.  I make my own brown soda bread and also scones, Haven't perfected it yet but is very passable and simple to make.  

Have to disagree with you on the cheese, well some cheeses not all.  I do lean on the cheese like bacon makes everything taste better side.

Possible Chat Topics for next week might include:

• Tea - Loos Leaf or Tea bags
  • Barry's or Lyons (for the Irish)
  • 6 Nations Rugby
  • Marmite or Vegemite😄

Colin

Colin, we can disagree completely on the cheese and still be friends.  😉

I have one son who agrees with my opinion that cheese is a villainous creation by demons, and one who garnishes his cheese with other foods.

As a Marine Gunny (Gunnery Sergeant) I was welcomed in the Goat Locker, as the Chief's mess is referred to aboard ship, and the subject of great merriment when I suggested tea as the better beverage, which I did with great gusto.  I would accept coffee from them (after a good look inside the mug first), but never really developed any delight in it.

My daughter, bless her sweet heart, makes very passable soda bread for me, both brown and white.  She is working diligently on perfecting it and has come very close.  One key being the importation of Odlums flour, nothing here would work well. 

My sisters, of course, mastered it long ago, and very kindly provide me an annual batch in honour of Saint Patrick, so I will happily trundle over to Kerrville, where they both live, in ten days. 

On tea -

loose leaf or teabags - either, so long as I get tea (though loose leaf may make a better pot)

Barry's or Lyons - again, either.  My local grocery stocks Barry's, but Lyons is nigh impossible to find, save by mail order.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, CH-53D said:

Colin, we can disagree completely on the cheese and still be friends.  😉

I have one son who agrees with my opinion that cheese is a villainous creation by demons, and one who garnishes his cheese with other foods.

As a Marine Gunny (Gunnery Sergeant) I was welcomed in the Goat Locker, as the Chief's mess is referred to aboard ship, and the subject of great merriment when I suggested tea as the better beverage, which I did with great gusto.  I would accept coffee from them (after a good look inside the mug first), but never really developed any delight in it.

My daughter, bless her sweet heart, makes very passable soda bread for me, both brown and white.  She is working diligently on perfecting it and has come very close.  One key being the importation of Odlums flour, nothing here would work well. 

My sisters, of course, mastered it long ago, and very kindly provide me an annual batch in honour of Saint Patrick, so I will happily trundle over to Kerrville, where they both live, in ten days. 

On tea -

loose leaf or teabags - either, so long as I get tea (though loose leaf may make a better pot)

Barry's or Lyons - again, either.  My local grocery stocks Barry's, but Lyons is nigh impossible to find, save by mail order.

Cheers

I've been in the Goat locker on the Momsen.  Barry's Tea all the way.  They use better quality tea in their blends. Lyons stopped buying their tea from Irish brokers a long time ago and now buy the cheapest tea they can find.  The only Lyns I like is their Kenya blend if you can find it.  Odlums course brown flour is what's missing from my brown soda bread.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Philly1860 said:

I've been in the Goat locker on the Momsen.  Barry's Tea all the way.  They use better quality tea in their blends. Lyons stopped buying their tea from Irish brokers a long time ago and now buy the cheapest tea they can find.  The only Lyns I like is their Kenya blend if you can find it.  Odlums course brown flour is what's missing from my brown soda bread.

Ah, so just as well Lyons isn't available here, not a loss then.  😒

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philly1860 said:

Hi Noel,

yea we overlapped I was in '82 to '85 Mick Doheny (RIP) was our Cpl.  I did have an image of the newer D Coy flash but can't find it, need to look through some old HD's to see if I saved it anywhere.  On the hunt for one and Rifle Colar devices for a Shadow Box. 

Colin

Small world! I guess we did overlap, you must have  been one of those snotty nosed recruits we in No 1 platoon used to take the p out of. In fact while I bought myself out in '85, I  thought. But I needed discharge papers for my US Green Card in '89. I went to  Collins barracks where I  met yet another D Coy comrade. He checked and told I was still on the books! I think I'm due a  long service  medal.😃

Poor Mick Doheny, nice guy. He's not the only old soldier who has 'faded'  away. I've lost touch with many of them but our comrades in our little 'Regiment of Pearse' scattered everywhere after service. 

Many went onto uniformed careers. Foreign Legion, PDF, ARW and rumoured SAS? ,several pilots the Paras and other British regiments, including the Irish Guards. In fact one of our sergeants was ex Irish  Guards. A later  one of ours was killed in Iraq serving in the Guards. 

Sadly the Pearse is no more, merged into the 5th Battalion. 

Did you do a border camp? I  did a couple in Monaghan and the the locals were nearly as hostile to us as they were to the BA.

I still have my uniform, ready to  serve! So I  obviously have the patch. I could send a HD photo? I  also have the infantry  collar badges. I'll  be  keeping them them though.

10 minutes ago, noelh said:

Small world! I guess we did overlap, you must have  been one of those snotty nosed recruits we in No 1 platoon used to take the p out of. In fact while I bought myself out in '85, I  thought. But I needed discharge papers for my US Green Card in '89. I went to  Collins barracks where I  met yet another D Coy comrade. He checked and told I was still on the books! I think I'm due a  long service  medal.😃

Poor Mick Doheny, nice guy. He's not the only old soldier who has 'faded'  away. I've lost touch with many of them but our comrades in our little 'Regiment of Pearse' scattered everywhere after service. 

Many went onto uniformed careers. Foreign Legion, PDF, ARW and rumoured SAS? ,several pilots the Paras and other British regiments, including the Irish Guards. In fact one of our sergeants was ex Irish  Guards. A later  one of ours was killed in Iraq serving in the Guards. 

Sadly the Pearse is no more, merged into the 5th Battalion. 

Did you do a border camp? I  did a couple in Monaghan and the the locals were nearly as hostile to us as they were to the BA.

I still have my uniform, ready to  serve! So I  obviously have the patch. I could send a HD photo? I  also have the infantry  collar badges. I'll  be  keeping them them though.

Yes I was one of those snotty nosed ones.  I think we were No 3 platoon.  Did Gormanston but never the boarder.  You would be due a Long Service Medal what about back pay? 

A HD image would be great.  Still have my uniform still in Ireland due to be shipped over shortly.  

I think a few of our platoon went PDF and I think one went ARW.  I saw a D Coy badge on FB messaged the poster to see if it was available but not got a response yet.  My brother has a friend still in PDF and is going to reach out to them to see if they can get the collar devices. 

I'll PM you my email address.

Colin

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

What about a slice or two of black pudding.... 👍

mmm....  black pudding....

full

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Great, but on the  subject of white pudding there is no blood in it. Pork,  maybe. Tesco use Turkey, well they're British. 🤔

In fact it's  mostly oatmeal, a poor mans ingredient, some  pork and some other ingredients. No blood. 

Black pudding is now an artisan food. My local  supermarket is a battlefield of black puddings. 

Colin will be disappointed to know, I  casually went to my  local Tesco and bought Clonakilty Pudding. Sorry😃

There's a  real  danger that this thread will drift into a debate as to the best fried breakfast in Britain and Ireland. The full Irish the Ulster fry, full English. Scottish? Not  sure about the Welsh. Sheep probably.🤔

I can add the full Zimbabwe. A few years ago me and an English friend got into his aeroplane and flew into Victoria  Falls very early. We went to the 'Camp' and had a full  Zimbabwe. Bacon, eggs, sauages, tomatoes.

Home  from home. No white  pudding  though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

CH53D and colin may be  disappointed to hear, that while tea is still popular. Everyone does coffee in both Britain and Ireland. 

We've been continentalised.  As I  drive the  boys to school every  morning I  see the queues outside the coffee  shops. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, noelh said:

CH53D and colin may be  disappointed to hear, that while tea is still popular. Everyone does coffee in both Britain and Ireland. 

We've been continentalised.  As I  drive the  boys to school every  morning I  see the queues outside the coffee  shops. 

I have noticed that on recent trips.  I was home in April of last year and I was offered coffee more than tea, and in a couple of hotels I had to ask for a pot of tea with breakfast, I got a semi-incredulous "Oh, not coffee??".  I also noticed no round loaf of brown bread, being served some squarish approximation called (I think) "cottage loaf".  Decent enough, but nowhere near as good.  No white soda bread at all.  I didn't do any shopping for my own food at the grocery, as we sold my father's house in Castleknock a couple of years ago, too expensive to maintain for occasional visits, so I don't know what's available for home consumption, but Quinnsworth/Superquinn is long gone, as was the old butcher shop around the corner from the house. 

The price of getting older, I suppose.  The world was a much bigger place when I was young.

Cheers

• Like 2

Favourite type of bacon sandwich, two slices of Tiger bread and a slice of middle back bacon and a splash of Encona West Indian hot pepper sauce.

Robert 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CH-53D said:

I have noticed that on recent trips.  I was home in April of last year and I was offered coffee more than tea, and in a couple of hotels I had to ask for a pot of tea with breakfast, I got a semi-incredulous "Oh, not coffee??".  I also noticed no round loaf of brown bread, being served some squarish approximation called (I think) "cottage loaf".  Decent enough, but nowhere near as good.  No white soda bread at all.  I didn't do any shopping for my own food at the grocery, as we sold my father's house in Castleknock a couple of years ago, too expensive to maintain for occasional visits, so I don't know what's available for home consumption, but Quinnsworth/Superquinn is long gone, as was the old butcher shop around the corner from the house. 

The price of getting older, I suppose.  The world was a much bigger place when I was young.

Cheers

Yup, welcome to a different and better and  richer country. We're more  European. Although most  so called foreigners are  British who  aren't actually foreign.

A  friend of mine  from Africa said we were a country of opportunity. 

Like we thought of  America.

For us oldies that's  strange 

• Like 3

But  none of this helps with bacon. It's  all very amusing culturally but who does the best breakfast?

In the English  speaking world?

Oh controversial.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "improvements" are, of course, debatable.  As an oldie, I find it a bit disconcerting to lose the security of "home as it was when I was young", the things and ways we knew.  But such is the way of the shrinking world.

Least changed last April was Inishbofin, though the ferry from Cleggan is still a bit odd to me.  Through our childhood we'd visit there on holiday, but had to hire a local fisherman to take us out.  This trip was to spread the ashes of my lifelong friend Peter (two weeks apart in age, we were neighbours and inseparable friends since age 5, remaining friends over the years after I went to America).

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noelh said:

But  none of this helps with bacon. It's  all very amusing culturally but who does the best breakfast?

Oh controversial.

Easily Malaysia with Roti Canai, (yes, 'English speaking world' -it's a recognised language)

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CH-53D said:

...Right, on the topic of bacon sandwiches -

Surely Texas does not have any problem with bacon supplies?

Watching a few videos of hunting the feral pests in the lone star state... Damn there are a few of them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noelh said:

Oh controversial.

Hi

Las Vegas, had some jiffy normous brekkies there, mount vesuvius on a plate , followed by bread n butter pudding 

otherwise what happens in vegas stays in vegas unless you drunkenly put it on facebook 

cheers 

jerry

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hairystick said:

Watching a few videos of hunting the feral pests in the lone star state... Damn there are a few of them!

And that's before you take into account the local wild fauna ...