Loaded question: Best 1/48 Tornado--Gulf War era??....and decals???

Corvi

OK I have been doing some research online and it seems to be a toss up between the Italeri and the newer tooled Revell kit.  I am leaning towards the Revell kit GR.4?

What is everyone's opinion on building a 1/48 Gulf War Tornado?  Best kit to start??

Also Stores for the kit...Best bet???  Resin or are the Revell or Italeri passable??

Also any comments on the Kit World decals

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW148126?result-token=hmNf1

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW148132?result-token=hmNf1

BTW_--The Hobbyboss kits seems to have too many boo-boos to fix and not worth comparison??

Steve,

Edited by Corvi
spelling

I'd start with the Revell kit now. If there isn't a GR1 kit, back dating a GR4 shouldn't be too hard. I don't have one but from reviews it looks like a tricky build. Scalemates is a good place to check for decals and weapons.

I'm not too familiar with the Revell Tornado since I've got a pair of the Italeri ones in the stash that are also fine, but need more resin. The Italeri needs some resin corrections that will likely be hard to find now. The base of the vertical fin is the most obvious. I think Neomega still make a cockpit for it. One of mine I found on eBay a decade ago with a full complement of the OOP Paragon sets for a steal.

The Hobby Boss kit got slammed for poor shapes when it was released and I've never really considered it a viable option.

• Like 1

I have both in the stash but not built either (yet...would want to) - the Revell has highly superior detail, but is engineered to have mostly flat parts, and to accommodate maximum mileage, version-wise, so has a lot of joints to line up properly. The Italeri is a lot more simple overall, has slightly pebbly surfaces, panels lines some may not find sharp enough, and some sinkage where the u/c well liner guides are situated. It is some 30 years old now, and I don't think was considered cutting-edge technology right back then. But it looks quite good in the box and should be comparably cheap. My boxing (which should be the initial one, as it's from the estate of a mag editor and probably a review kit) has Cartograf decals, including Gulf Killer and Snoopy Airlines. They are printed sharply, but very matt, and the girls have a single-pink skin. 

Apparently the main cockpit parts are the same for IDS and 4 boxings, but the 4 should be much more easily available anyway. The LRMTS is also in the IDS boxing.

I would go for the Revel kit, I've built a few and although you need to put the work in at certain places it's the best out there. I've also built a few of the Italeri kits and the Hobby Boss one. Make sure you get the GR4 boxing of the Revel kit and then select/delete the parts required for the GR1.

The Kits World decals look not bad, I've never used them. Looking at the first sheet on your links there appears to be only one 'N' tail code for Nikki and the one that is there looks to be the wrong colour as it should be black.

As for stores Eduard do a decent range with Alarm, JP233 and Paveway II available. They also do the Boz and Skyshadow pods but the kit ones are not bad.

Hope this helps, Muzz.

OK Pulled the trigger on the Revell GR.4 in 1/48  It does look rather nice.

Will do the Kits World decals and substitute the N for some black ones in my spares!

Now to get  seats or am I am going to put some blokes in there!!!  This maybe a nice inflight display??   It does avoids extensive wheel well work or resin seats. ??

Steve

Eduard are soon releasing their ejection seats that were in the Desert Babe release. They are great seats!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Both kits will do but the italeri one needs a few quid spent on it to give a reasonable result. Its an older kit and shows its age but.. the basic shape is good. Put a Neomega GR1 cockpit in then decide if you want to upgrade the poor parts, tanks, pylons, fin intake, engines, wheels, skyshadow and Boz pods. Even then you can go further and add dropped slats

The Revell kit is a better option but you have to ignore the pilots digital dashboard parts or convert them and the seats arent great but acceptable. This kit too has upgrades available but these are mainly for true accuracy and specific british parts rather than poor shape

I do all the parts I've mentioned through Tornado sig, pm me if you want to see our catalogue 

All the best

Nigel

Ps my personal perferance is the Italeri kit with all the add ons

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:31 PM, nigelshipp said:

Although surface detail is also poor, and landing gear is skinny?!?!

I think the only decent kit currently is the Revell one... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RMP2 said:

No votes for the Airfix offering..?

I built the Airfix F3 version back when it was new.  I remember it being very simplistic and mostly raised panel lines with a few recessed one that if I remember were very heavy. It's one that I binned during a move rather than pack up. I think the GR1 came later but I would expect it to still have raised panel lines.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, RMP2 said:

You mean the new-tooled 1/48 they will release this year together with a Jaguar as surprise? 😵‍💫😜

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 1:12 AM, Corvi said:

OK Pulled the trigger on the Revell GR.4 in 1/48  It does look rather nice.

Will do the Kits World decals and substitute the N for some black ones in my spares!

Now to get  seats or am I am going to put some blokes in there!!!  This maybe a nice inflight display??   It does avoids extensive wheel well work or resin seats. ??

Steve

I tried to fix up the Italeri. If you want the wings swept back stay clear from it, the pivot points seem to be wrong and will result in a MiG-23-wing. Other than that it can be done, with a lot of surgery, scribing, scratchbuilding and Resin parts. I binned my project because I glued the wings before realising the wrong alignment, salvaging the resin bits for a future build with a different kit (hello Airfix, if you read this). 

Backdating the Revell GR.4 seems the best option. Eduard has a great big sin set for the armament of the GR.1. - And inflight is the best way to showcase an aircraft, but that‘s my personal opinion. 

On 3/1/2024 at 2:31 PM, nigelshipp said:

Both kits will do but the italeri one needs a few quid spent on it to give a reasonable result. Its an older kit and shows its age but.. the basic shape is good. Put a Neomega GR1 cockpit in then decide if you want to upgrade the poor parts, tanks, pylons, fin intake, engines, wheels, skyshadow and Boz pods. Even then you can go further and add dropped slats

The Revell kit is a better option but you have to ignore the pilots digital dashboard parts or convert them and the seats arent great but acceptable. This kit too has upgrades available but these are mainly for true accuracy and specific british parts rather than poor shape

I do all the parts I've mentioned through Tornado sig, pm me if you want to see our catalogue 

All the best

Nigel

Did you not run into alignment problems with the wings swept back? I had to abort my build due to this and I am beginning to think it‘s due to my own stupidity…

On 3/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, RMP2 said:

hmm... no!

weapons are correct though! but basically a very old and outdated kit. Bad landing gear.

I build the Airfix F3 once, with lots of aftermarket designed for the HobbyBoss kit.
Turned out nice in the end I think!

The new 1/48 Revell Tornado is the better option. Over engineering I think. AIRES resins and PE,  Black Dog, Eduard PE/resins/Look, Quinta Studio cockpits placards, Paragon (several resin sets, seats, exhauts, flaps, slats, wheels, eletronics devices and even the JP223, Pavla resins, Amur PE, Flyghtpath PE, Scale metal Pitot.

What I really did not in this kit,  why Revell made the front fuselage sides like a pyramidal shape, since Italeri and HB made that right and straight.

SouthViper 

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of WIP posts concerning this kit (I built mine about three years ago). It's good but there are some traps. Read about our mistakes before you start!