Hi from down South.

IanOz

Hello all.  As per the username, I'm Ian and live in Melbourne in the south-east of Australia.

Used to be quite active as a teenager in the 70's, mainly 1/76 armour for wargaming but with the odd aircraft and 1/35 for fun.   Drifted away from the hobby, but I'm picking it back up now I'm well into my 6th decade and retired so can dedicate the time again.   

This site has been a go-to for researching and tips/traps while setting up.  Great information and no hassle in the threads, so I'm happy to be part of the family now.  

Enjoying some of the Tamiya 1/35 kits that were brand new bleeding edge releases that I lusted for back then, but now are re-released as 'classics' with 'not bad detail considering their age'.  Sigh....  Hopefully I can do a better job on them now than back then.   Happily I don't need to rely on tools from the dollar-shop and 'borrowed' from Dad's shed anymore - the only perk of getting older. I think one pair of good nippers cost many times more than my entire toolset as a kid 😄

One of the current generation kits I've started is a MiniArt StugIII Ausf. G with full interior - decided that was probably not the smartest move (the kit is excellent, but darn some of those parts are small, and photoetch is a whole new game to me) -- it's a learning experience for sure! 

Cheers

Ian

• Like 5

Gidday Ian (my father's name), welcome aboard, from the other side of the country. I'm into 1/600 scale ships myself, done to a rather average standard. I can highly recommend retirement, did it myself two years ago, at 65. Work can really interfere with modeling sometimes. And yeah, decent tools are worth it, although I sometimes 'fine tune' cheap tools to suit me.

Good luck with the PE, that's something I haven't tried, but then I'm quite set in my ways. This is a terrific site, members always willing to offer tips and advice, squabbles are almost unheard of. You should enjoy it here, I have.

Regards, Jeff.

Hi Ian, and welcome aboard. Wow! You certainly jumped in at the deep end with a MiniArt kit. Lovely kits, but not for the faint hearted due to their complexity. That said, good luck with your build.

John.

Thanks for the welcome :) 

@ArnoldAmbrose We want to head over to Perth again sometime, so I can sneak in another visit to the Bull Run RAAF museum.  Got to clamber through their Lancaster and Spitfire last time.  Great memories (if I've linked the photo correctly).

spacer.png

@Bullbasket Yes on the MiniArt - didn't realise just how detailed those kits are.   To make it worse I was given an RFM Tiger 1 with interior at Christmas...  Those two models alone should kill most of the year!

Cheers guys

Ian

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IanOz said:

Those two models alone should kill most of the year!

If your lucky they will only last a year.  :pray:

Welcome back to the modelling madness.  :yahoo:

beefy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanOz said:

We want to head over to Perth again sometime, so I can sneak in another visit to the Bull Run RAAF museum.  Got to clamber through their Lancaster and Spitfire last time. 

Gidday Ian, actually it's Bullcreek. Bull Run was a battle in the American Civil War I believe. Surprisingly I haven't been to the museum, perhaps I should. I remember the Lancaster when it was outside at Perth airport decades ago. I climbed into the rear of the hull fuselage as a kid but not as far as the cockpit. There was a cage barrier across it inside.

Regards, Jeff.

Hi Ian

If you're into AFVs, and fancy the challenge of even smaller parts and impossible PE, check out Vespid's excellent range of 1/72 kits.. 😀

One reason why I also enjoy classic 1/35 Tamiya!

Ian

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Ian, actually it's Bullcreek. Bull Run was a battle in the American Civil War I believe

Oops - bit of a brain fart there 🤪  I blame the pills...   or sniffing too much thinners...

• Haha 1

@IanC  Looked up those Vespid kits - impressive detail.  I might try one of those as soon as i get some new fingers and eyeballs to work with.. 😝   

• Haha 1