North American B-25J Mitchell (Hasegawa 1/72)

Beautifully done!  Is that a Soviet turret?  It does not look standard to me, so I'd be interested in how you modified it.  Also, what paints did you use?  Akan?  Zip?  Jim Scale?  It looks like the paint went on very well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done!  Is that a Soviet turret?  It does not look standard to me, so I'd be interested in how you modified it.  Also, what paints did you use?  Akan?  Zip?  Jim Scale?  It looks like the paint went on very well.

I was thinking the same thing. The upper turret looks very much oversize. The model, on the other hand, is great!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Is that a Soviet turret?  It does not look standard to me, so I'd be interested in how you modified it.  Also, what paints

The turret is the kit turret, but not positioned properly.

note many US top turrets were made from sections of perspex glued together, the 'panel lines' are in fact glue joins.

I don't know what model paints were used, the real paints are American ANA colors,  613 Olive Drab, 603 Sea Gray and 616 Sand,  with 604 Black undersides. 

when the USA dropped camouflage paints, the Soviets still wanted paint, so they were done in US colors to VVS specifications,  which used a 3 tone upper.

431 162 was photographed on a test flight in the USA in color

this is a bit washed out

dlnzhkyigdc61.jpg

color better here

iuwHidm.jpeg

this is the camo diagram

B-25JVVScamoschematic.jpg

Thread on VVS B-25's here

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1366.0

52 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

The upper turret looks very much oversize.

white lines are glue joints

341st_Bomb_Group_B-25_Mitchell_with_75mm

some have an armour back/head panel

B-25J_44-30589_42nd_BG_100th_BS.jpg

neat B-25 @AC87

:goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

So basically, the glue joins that we work so hard to conceal should be glue joins?

depends on the type of turret.  Some have frames.

this is a B-26 Marauder top turret which is glued Perspex sections

9WvnCnf.jpg

#

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I was thinking the same thing. The upper turret looks very much oversize. The model, on the other hand, is great!

The too-tall turret is one of the Hasegawa kit's faults ( along with symmetrical framing on the nose transparency and the cowl fronts which have openings which are too small......).

Thanks! There's really something wrong with the turret, now I'm convinced of it.

I get the colors for painting myself using Mr.Color paints. Perhaps there are discrepancies somewhere, since the photos have different colors everywhere.

Alex.

23 minutes ago, AC87 said:

Perhaps there are discrepancies somewhere, since the photos have different colors everywhere.

VSS camo.  THis is based on official directive 

n°2389/0133 of July 3, 1943, gave new instructions to paint the Soviet warplanes:

the upper and side surfaces of all fighter aircraft were to have two colors: greyish blue and dark grey in the same scheme;

upper and side surfaces of all types of aircraft but fighters had to be camouflaged in green, light brown and dark grey (black for Il-4 and Pe-8);

the red stars remained in the same six positions of before, but were addictioned with a thick white outline and, more externally, with a further thin red outline.

the directive applied to new planes and those in repair shops; it wasn't required that operative units repainted all their planes.

tem-il4-43r.jpg

substitute black with grey, the shapes and colors used are basically the same   above from https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/1943-45-bombers/1943-45bombers.html

This photo is color shifted, 

dlnzhkyigdc61.jpg

the color running through the wing star is Olive Drab, but in this it look too brown.

I posted a camo diagram, and this is shown, the "slate grey" and "field drab" (not a ANA color names)  also correspond with the photo

B-25JVVScamoschematic.jpg

of the 3 colors listed, the only one which corresponds to a ANA color name is Olive Drab,  but looking at this (and I have the book, not just these scans)  of ANA colors, and thinking about VVS colors which were used in this scheme, 

which would be AMT-1 light brown, AMT-4 Green, AMT -12 dark grey, 

the best matches from the US ANA colors would be ANA 603 Sea Gray and 616 Sand.

PTECTPK.jpg

MXQmutm.jpg

again, see here

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1366.0

Hope of interest.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 12:05 AM, AC87 said:

There's really something wrong with the turret, now I'm convinced of it.

Well, you have many possible ways of solving the problem if it bothers you.  As a talented modeler, I'm sure you can think of a few!

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Well, you have many possible ways of solving the problem if it bothers you.  As a talented modeler, I'm sure you can think of a few!

Thank you very much for such detailed information. I think it will be useful to others.

Alas, I will not be able to make changes to the model, it is in the collection of another person. But if I build another Mitchell in the future, I won't make a mistake.

• Like 1