The_Lancaster's 17 builds for 2023!

The_Lancaster

Compared to last years output this year has been a bumper crop of models for me! Partially I think because last year I was going after my EMT qualifcation, though I don't know how that'll bode for next year considering I'm starting my Paramedic Science Degree. 🤔

In the mean time however! I have built plenty of Shermans, and some other stuff... 

This is Tamiya's 1/35 M4 Early, converted to a Sherman I used by the British Army. Markings show it as a vehicle from the Northants Yeomanry

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

This is Asuka's 1/35 Sherman III, with a deep wading set from Resicast. The vehicle is depicted as one used by the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

I had a change of pace and moved on to Cold War subjects, starting with the old Revell 1/35 Kanonenjagdpanzer, which I built just as Das Werke announced their new one!

DSCN0069.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

Related in it's development, I managed to get hold of Revell's Raketenjagdpanzer in 1/35 as well. Hopefully Das Werke/Amusing Hobby has one of these up their sleeve as well, if not another variant as I think they're a fantastic looking vehicle!

DSCN0105.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

On the other side of the iron curtain I had a look at Takom's T-55AM2b which I built with T-Rex's 3D printed track. 

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0263.jpg

Occasionally it's been known that I build aircraft, I suppose I have to in order to earn my username and profile pic! This is Trumpeter's 1/48H-34 done as an Italian vehicle. 

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

Moving back to the Cold War however, when Tamiya re-released their early Marder 1A2 in 1/35 scale and I snapped it up. I built it out of the box but played around with stowage from my spares as the stowage included in the kit was a bit dated in areas. 

DSCN0489.jpg

DSCN0497.jpg

I also ventured into 1/144 for the first time this year with Mark I models Wessex, which I enjoyed building so much that I snapped up a couple more of these kits in different markings. I'm hoping along with the rest of Italeri's re-releases recently, we might see their earlier wessex's re-done in 1/48. 

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

Moving back to Shermans, I next built another Asuka Sherman III, with this time the base section of Resicast's Deep wading gear, all in 1/35 of course. 

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0572.jpg

I moved on next to Airfix's 1/35 M36 Jackson, originally from Academy

DSCN0574.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

And then I did another Sherman, this time Tamiya's 1/35 M4A3E8, out of the box. I really found their commander figure impressive, with an impressive posture. 

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

An earlier Sherman followed, this time Tamiya's M4 Early in 1/35, done as a vehicle that landed at Utah Beach on D-Day.

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

For something completely different, I was inspired do some middle-eastern subjects and used a Tamiya 1/35 JS-3 to make an Egyptian variant, only to find out the Egyptians used the later IS-3M part way through the build, but nevermind i suppose!

DSCN0030.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

Keeping with the Middle-Eastern theme, I built Tamiya's 1/35 T-55 Engima, which was a beautiful kit in all fairness. I thoroughly enjoyed weathering this one as well. 

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

Clearing the stash a bit, I cobbled together a 1/35 T-34/85 from the old Italeri kit with some help from Miniart and other spares to make a DDR variant. 

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

However, moving back to a Middle-Eastern theme I built Dragon's 1/35 SU-100 as an Egyptian example.

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

Finally, with a build I finished today, and what I foresee to be my last build of the year, though I do have a 1/35 BTR-50PK in the works, is Tamiya's 1/35 M2A2 Bradley ODS.

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0060.jpg

Overall a varied year, though I have learnt a lot, tried a few new things, and hopefully will carry across newfound skills into next year. Here's to a hopefully fruitful 2024!

Sam :)

• Like 19

These are really stunning, I love your finished, they look really clean and neat, but not in an unrealistic way. The third Sherman stands out, for me the huge amount of stowage looks great.

• Like 1

Some rather excellent builds.. I don't know much about Tanks but some of yours look quite real by the weathering you did. For me i find it difficult to paint tanks in OD and not look like there have a thick layer of 'OD' coloured snow! so I salute you Sir!  Great stuff. My fav build was your H-34 Helicopter ! 

Where I live there is a park which had a WW1 female tank on a plinth. It was removed for scrap in 1940 but recently a fibreglass\wood\metal full size replica has been placed on the plinth.. there's a URL to some pics of said tank for those who may be interested? 

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/new-presentation-tank-waltham-cross

Regards, Andy

• Like 1