Blitzenbayraktar TB2 (or not TB2 finished on time: not TB. Slings and arrows of outrageous photo-etch.) *****DNF*****

Angus Tura

Merry Christmas!

231222a 'nother box 231222b 'nother bits

This is the Big Planes Kits (very small) model of the Turkish Bayraktar TB2 drone extensively used in Ukraine and earlier in Nagorno-Karabakh. I was going to do the much simpler Aztec Models TB2 but it arrived without decals, which still haven't shown up. Maybe it can be a later (shorter) BBGB later in the year.

Before hearing about @Enzo the Magnificent's latest extension till 27/12/23 I thought I'd need to try to Superhero this today. So, after and evening of prep I was good to go at midnight last night:

231224a Start

So, the halves of the fuselage, air-scoop above the fuselage, tail-booms and  wings have been cleaned up as have the halves of bits that will need a joint line dealt with. 

The bottom of this large NACA-style scoop,

231224b pesky NACA scoop

and the bits of etch to go inside,

231224c pesky etch

are a bit painful.

The rest of the assembly is easy-peasy but took me an hour longer than planned bedtime:

231224d stuck

So, 3'10" down.

Sleep followed by reading Enzo's latest, followed by another sleep and breakfast.

20231224_093748 20231224_094442

After a concerning HbA1C in 2022, I have ditched marmalade toast, fresh orange and sugar for salad sandwich, polish sausage and atorvastatin: I might live long enough to clear the stash now: 253 years.

See you later.

Alan 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

I was going to do the much simpler Aztec Models TB2 but it arrived without decals, which still haven't shown up. Maybe it can be a later (shorter) BBGB later in the year.

There looks to be plenty of spare decals from this kit to help out with the Aztec one Alan?

Hello. Un-inspired by the extension, if you know what I mean, I had a bit of a leisurely start,

231224f Restart

before smoothing out and sanding down and bits of superglue and accelerator as filler. Then Mrs.T told me it was time to do some chores and not quite done with that:

231224g Smoothed out

So now 5'10" down.

I heart-searched a bit about the wing root joins. I previously spent a lot of time on an MQ-1 losing that join only to find out that it's a very obvious join on the real thing where it breaks down to transport. So, I've kept them. I haven't done the jon between the fuselage top and bottom at the nose, and I managed to bust-off and re-glue one of the booms...but Mrs.Tura is not always the easiest to gainsay...

See you later,

Alan

• Like 11

Merry Christmas!

231225a Xmas Breakfast

Breakfast unchanged except Mrs.Tura's excellent glazed ham. How she does this now that Future polish has dissappeared remains a mystery.

Yesterday update:

231224a Xmas eve start 231224b Xmas eve finish

This is just all smoothing out smoothed out. So, ready for details and then paint. I was going to do a ukraini one but the more I think about a black prototype one-and-don't-have-to-worry-about-panel-lines(!) the more attractive a prospect that becomes.

Goodwill to all BlitzenBritModellers.

Manana

Angus

• Like 4

So so so. Ho ho ho

On 12/25/2023 at 11:31 AM, Angus Tura said:

I was going to do a ukraini one but the more I think about a black prototype one-and-don't-have-to-worry-about-panel-lines(!) the more attractive a prospect that becomes.

This seemed a better and better idea. I thought I'd check what colour the missiles would be on a black prototype and, according to BPK's instructions, there are no missiles. So, this is definitely the way to go: the thought of getting 32 etch fins square on the 4 rockets was giving me the screaming ab-dabs.

231226b Restart

This is just to record a start time but you can see the flanges around the pylons at the innermost part of the wings.

231226c Pylons off

Here it is minus-flanges.

Then bits that can't go on till after painting. I like to try to keep these on the sprues to make holding easier for painting.

231226d Nosewheel holder

And here they all are.

231226e Most add-ons done

These are the propeller and sensor dome. Between these is a little part for the back of the fuselage. That fits very well. There's a bit of engine detail on it. Leaving it off has let me put a sprue-handle on the model to help me paint.

So now, before paint I need to get on the rest of the plastic and photoetch details, wash, metal primer on the etch parts and spray. 'Piece of cake!

See you later,

Alan

9'00"

• Like 3

• Angus Tura changed the title to Blitzenbayraktar TB2 (or not TB2 finished on time: not TB. Slings and arrows of outrageous photo-etch.) *****DNF*****

Ah me!

Yesterday was more than averagely frustrating. Many bits of family nonsense, especially taxi-ing. I also notice in the last several months that I can't get by on no sleep like I used to. I totted-up the time as I went along and I've plenty of time, but I'm afraid I've got things I really do have to do today.

Here's as far as I got:

231227a DNF

This was 12.30am today. Getting the photo-etch details on was not good. There is very little help in terms of pins and hole, lugs &c. It's also terribly delicate. I'm hoping that several sprayed on coats of gloss black paint can act as a glue. Having given up too on the BBGB I can paint the details with enamels and not vallejo-style acrylics and that has got to be better.

There is an upside! I do like the kit, and there's another one in the box, and I've learnt a lot about the kit. So, in May Blitzbuild I think I'll have another go. I think there's quite a bit more prep one could do within the rules and I'd replace some but not all of the photoetch with plastic-card. But imminently do-able, I think.

So, see you in May and apologies.

Alan

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Great attempt - sorry to hear about the family stuff, hope it all smooths out with a bit of time for reflection.

Thanks: I think I've given you the wrong impression! The family are all fine but however much they reflect they continue to think that talking, eating, telly watching and playing cards together is more important than blitzbuilding!

KRO

Alan

• Haha 3