Lancaster Nose Art Kit

Hi All

No way I can find space for the full kit, so this'll have to do.

Its WnW heritage is obvious, with quality and detail at least matching Tamiya's Mosquito. Shame that there is no way of displaying the interior though as the double-skinned fuselage means a clear section (as per HKM's otherwise vastly inferior version) isn't feasible. Photos will have to do instead.

Only problems I encountered were that the instructions are a little vague in places as to the the locations of some minor fittings, and the decals are the thinnest I've ever come across - while usually a good thing, it meant that the larger ones were prone to curl and stretch, hence the wavy lines of bombs on the mission tally; and I completely destroyed the one of the "Phantom of the Ruhr" text which meant I had to hand paint it instead.

53349280575_3436b3eee4_b.jpg

53347958242_467c717f97_b.jpg
53347958187_89e4befefb_b.jpg

53348830371_43d55f6720_b.jpg

53349062323_478c34a426_b.jpg

53349062283_d951215d75_b.jpg

53349280530_035ce5727c_b.jpg

The duplicated flight deck in the foreground is my own resin cast of the Border one with a heavily modified/scratch built seat, which I'm going to use to try to bring the HKM version a little closer to representing the actual thing:

53349280585_5fdaa2afe4_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

J.A.

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

I got the HK nose kit before the announcement of the Border Models version.  Wish I would have waited.  Your build of this kit is just awesome.  It is a shame all of that wonderfully done cockpit detail is hidden from view.  Just a great build.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dov said:

Was thrilled when first time saw a bomber cockpit in museum!

Same here.. I went to the IWM in London and got quite emotional when it hit me just how exposed a bomber crew was to injury or death. There really was nothing to protect you apart from the Pilots seat with a bit of armoured plating. God those guys displayed amazing bravery going up in these machines night after night with a less than 50% chance of making it through 30 Ops alive and a 15% chance of exiting the bomber if you were shot down..  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, johnny akes said:

Hi All

No way I can find space for the full kit, so this'll have to do.

Its WnW heritage is obvious, with quality and detail at least matching Tamiya's Mosquito. Shame that there is no way of displaying the interior though as the double-skinned fuselage means a clear section (as per HKM's otherwise vastly inferior version) isn't feasible. Photos will have to do instead.

Only problems I encountered were that the instructions are a little vague in places as to the the locations of some minor fittings, and the decals are the thinnest I've ever come across - while usually a good thing, it meant that the larger ones were prone to curl and stretch, hence the wavy lines of bombs on the mission tally; and I completely destroyed the one of the "Phantom of the Ruhr" text which meant I had to hand paint it instead.

53349280575_3436b3eee4_b.jpg

53347958242_467c717f97_b.jpg
53347958187_89e4befefb_b.jpg

53348830371_43d55f6720_b.jpg

53349062323_478c34a426_b.jpg

53349062283_d951215d75_b.jpg

53349280530_035ce5727c_b.jpg

The duplicated flight deck in the foreground is my own resin cast of the Border one with a heavily modified/scratch built seat, which I'm going to use to try to bring the HKM version a little closer to representing the actual thing:

53349280585_5fdaa2afe4_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

J.A.

JA.. this looks lovely.. don't ya hate it when decals let you down?  i guess the bomb mission markers can be uneven?  your Ghost Of The Ruhr hand painted nose art is excellent! Thanks for showing! I'd  love to get the full kit in 1:32 scale but SWMBO would never let me display it anywhere.. ever! LOL. I did see someone on BM made a coffee table with glass top and side panels to display it though.. 

Regards, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

That's very nice.  Like others, I've considered the full kit but nowhere to display it 😏

You've done a great job on your nose art version .... the details are picked out nicely ... just such a shame they're all tucked away! 

Thank you for sharing!  

Keith 😁 

• Like 2

Just the nose is cheaper than building an extension to the house...

And it looks impressive like this. Not to mention that your build is awesome.

Congrats.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Incredibly cool!

The interior detail is amazing!

Well done! 👏👏👏

In spite of your decal difficulty, I wonder if the real mission symbols were applied with mathematical alignment anyway. 

• Like 1