Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - Never too late to join

AdrianMF

• AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - now at 26
  • 2 weeks later...

Please put me on the list there, Adrian. I've got nothing on your level of awfulness but there's an old AMT/Matchbox Kenworth kit in my cupboard which is always giving me the evil eye. 

• Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - now at 27
1 minute ago, CarLos said:

Asking permission to join the gang

Certainly sir. Walk this way!

Do you care to share which you kit(s) you might be thinking of? There's no obligation to choose yet. It's just like a horror movie trailer...

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - now at 28
  • AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - now at 29!!

I seem to recall that Esci’s F/A-18 Hornets getting a slating back in the day for their accuracy (or lack of!) so that could be a possible candidate? 

Grahame

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Threadbear said:

that could be a possible candidate?

If it sucks for you, it's in! Welcome...

I am in the process of building the Esci F-100 - it's meant to be the best 1/72 F-100 out there and it all fits like a dream! Esci seemed to be either brilliant or terrible with no in-between...

And you are volunteer #30*, so we are in the Bunfight!

Regards,

Adrian

* luckily for you, we don't give you a prize of 30 'orrible kits!

• Like 2

• AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - 30 and Bunfight Bound!
13 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Do you care to share which you kit(s) you might be thinking of? There's no obligation to choose yet. It's just like a horror movie trailer...

Well, you asked for it. Don't blame me for assaulting the topic!

53440265690_5ce6b9c3ac_c.jpg

ANY Merlin kit. I have a few. Do I need to say more?

53439849126_a84e2f1466_c.jpg

ANY Magna kit, but for other reasons. Magnas are generally accurate, but very simplified in the details, with thick fuselage walls and full of bubbles. The Petrel is a beautiful aircraft, and because I love it so much I oblige myself to be VERY picky. I also have the Flamingo.

53440165424_f0860fd722_c.jpg[/url]

Atkins Short Crusader. Much better than Karaya, but much more difficult to build. I don't know if I can live with the solid cylinder covers, and I don't know where the prop is. I also have the Hurricane prototype, but if I will do a prototype I'll modify a plastic kit.

53438925897_b7f4b70acd_c.jpg

53440265715_4d0c8dc772_c.jpg

ANY Dujin kit (and I have a lot of them). The Desouters and the Potez 560 are among my favorites. As with Magna, you may expect a lot of bubbles, thick walls and you will need to scratch many details. But nice models can be made from them - bellow is my "in progress" Caudron Phalène. 

53440165604_0abab7de04_c.jpg[/url]

53438925937_bfbfde1acc_c.jpg[/url]

Ikar's ANT-25. Not exactly a catastrophic one, but it takes time making all parts to fit. After some hours of work it still looks like an unstarted kit.

53439986218_f8a3b84aa8_c.jpg

I was looking for ages for a Matchbox HS 125 and a friend gave me what he had in his parts bin. It will look well near the Mach 2 Falcon 20 (another case of a few hours working on it and still needing a lot more before parts are attached). Forget to take photos, but ANY Mack 2 kit, and I have a lot of them!

53439849211_418fff966d_c.jpg

RT Junkers W33. Can you believe that I have three of them? It is made of a very strange plastic (or resin?) and you have to take the parts out of the flash. Difficult to work with, and even more because of the corrugations. But a great challenge!

53438925972_89781d7eaa_c.jpg

Contrail Albemarle. I once confronted the kit with plans and published dimensions and put it in the "for sale" mental list. Then the Valom kit came in, but for one reason or another I never acquired one - and I tried hard! So, Contrail and me, it's written in the stars. The Airspeed Ambassador (AIM) is a similar case. 

I don't know it these two are above or bellow the 30% rule, but they would fit. Lindberg He 100 converted to record breaker and Delta S.72. Both had enough plastic to sculpt from.

53440165564_7a5b7ed314_c.jpg

53440165574_b158a4f203_c.jpg

I am a "Zellig modeller". Someone makes a model that interests me and I will jump to the stash to do the same. In this case, the old Airfix Skyhawk was inspired for a build here (sorry, couldn't find the topic). I still need a canopy (is there any vac one?) and scratch build lots of parts. I guess this one is bellow the 30% mark.

53439986293_6757389cb9_c.jpg

This is my Orion's box (*). I had started the Special Hobby kit and then I realized how bad the shape of the wheel wells are and started the Merlin. I'll get there... someday.

(*) The "small" Orions. I also have an "Electra to Orion" conversion in progress. And I blame Jeff Thomsen for my Zellig disease.

53439986353_3794384d90_c.jpg

53438926042_175e29966f_c.jpg

Artur Resin's Hodek HK-101. It is very small and has only a few parts. But the bar is very high! Have a look at Petr Kácal's beautiful model.

A few others that may fit bellow the 30% rule: XF4U-1 conversion and Beaufighter Mk.II conversion. Some may recognise parts of the old Revell Lancaster that I am currently converting to Manchester. Never throw away a kit part!

53438926072_cef8ba44c1_c.jpg

53438926087_a2dab560b9_c.jpg

But I may end up with a Ninak using the Maquette kit. I have been trying a variation of St Harry's method for wings and I feel encouraged. Bellow are several steps of the Maquette wings, together with Clear Prop's one. 

53438919187_6d935f30cd_c.jpg

Or I may enter with something else. I may even have all of the above finished by 2025!

Carlos

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That is an amazing collection!

I see some common themes: my stash also contains Merlin and Magna kits, resin kits with far too many struts, an Atkins Short Crusader (bought very recently!), sketchy ill-fitting kits from behind the Iron Curtain, a Delta Macchi 72, and some  ambitious but stalled scratchbuilds and conversions.

And I have dithered over vacform Albermarles at vendor's tables in model shows too.

But I have to confess, your parade of horrors is very impressive!

I do like the look of the Ant25 though ;)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 1/3/2024 at 3:51 PM, CarLos said:

Well, you asked for it. Don't blame me for assaulting the topic!

ANY Merlin kit. I have a few. Do I need to say more?

ANY Magna kit, but for other reasons. Magnas are generally accurate, but very simplified in the details, with thick fuselage walls and full of bubbles. The Petrel is a beautiful aircraft, and because I love it so much I oblige myself to be VERY picky. I also have the Flamingo.

RT Junkers W33. Can you believe that I have three of them? It is made of a very strange plastic (or resin?) and you have to take the parts out of the flash. Difficult to work with, and even more because of the corrugations. But a great challenge!

Contrail Albemarle. I once confronted the kit with plans and published dimensions and put it in the "for sale" mental list. Then the Valom kit came in, but for one reason or another I never acquired one - and I tried hard! So, Contrail and me, it's written in the stars. The Airspeed Ambassador (AIM) is a similar case.

Are you @JOCKNEY's Italian brother? You, my friend need urgent medical help ;)

• Haha 4

On 1/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, AdrianMF said:

And I have dithered over vacform Albermarles at vendor's tables in model shows too.

I had a closer look at the Albemarle and it can be done. After sanding the fuselage I found I must take about 3mm in width, the fuselage must be augmented in length and the wings are way off in aerofoil profile, so it needs new under surfaces.

The problem is - I don't know if I can wait until 2025!

On 1/5/2024 at 7:39 PM, SleeperService said:

No, I am his Portuguese cousin. And you are right, I already have an appointment to change my medication 🙂

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, CarLos said:

I don't know if I can wait until 2025!

Put your worst one into Christmas wrapping paper and label it "To CarLos, Xmas 2024"....

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

I might sign myself up for this too, if possible! I've never done a group build on BM before (I'm rather new) but I would like to, and I think this is a great way to start!

I would probably be entering with the old Frog 1/72 P-51A. I'd like to fix up the shape of the model and rescribe it too. Is that allowed?

Domenic

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, B0BY_1234567 said:

I might sign myself up for this too, if possible!

Absolutely! It will be a pleasure to have you join us. The FROG kit, although fa-a-ar from being the worst ever (see @CarLos's handy post above to remind us) could still use a lot of TLC to make it better.  And on one of my current projects I've just finished filling in a load of my own scribing that did not work, so I will watch from a safe distance!

Bear in mind though that this GB (if it gets through the voting stage) won't start until some time in 2025, and that there is going to be a FROG GB starting at the end of this week.  So you could jump into a GB with your Mustang this week instead of waiting another year. I'm sure you could  find another "katastrophic kit" somewhere if you want to join in this one :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - 31 and Bunfight Bound!

I think the description applies to at least half of my stash. Count me in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - 32 and Bunfight Bound!
1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Bear in mind though that this GB (if it gets through the voting stage) won't start until some time in 2025, and that there is going to be a FROG GB starting at the end of this week.  So you could jump into a GB with your Mustang this week instead of waiting another year. I'm sure you could  find another "katastrophic kit" somewhere if you want to join in this one :)

Regards,

Adrian

Actually I’ve planned it out about perfectly - I’ve got a couple modes lined up which I’d like to finish before I get to work on the Mustang, so having a start date for it in 2025 should keep me accountable!

Domenic 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • AdrianMF changed the title to Kit Katastrophies - get those difficult or horrible kits out (AKA "I wouldn't start from here") - Never too late to join
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2024 at 06:39, SleeperService said:

On 09/01/2024 at 05:46, CarLos said:

No, I am his Portuguese cousin. And you are right, I already have an appointment to change my medication 

🙂

Welcome to the family @CarLos :drunk:

Your display of models is a credit to you sir, I would post pictures of mine but I don't want to frighten small children and fellow modellers with a nervous disposition  :tmi:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this while looking at all the stuff you have going on in your signature section Adrian. Again this is right up my alley and I have some interesting ones to choose from. I see a lot of vacuform and resin kits on here and I have some as well. I have to ask if solid wooden kits would be allowed? I have a few of those as well, such as B-17’s and a rare Maircraft 1/48 DC-3. At any rate, please add me to the list. I think I will update my signature section like many others, it’s a good idea.

Cheers

Jeff