AIMS 1/32 PR/Tac R Hawker Hurricane conversion of Revell Mk IIb kit

Aims

Wow John, that is stunning, love to see some natural light and backdrop pics.  Love the red earth weathering.

May I suggest that anyone looking at this check the WIP thread, https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235129863-aims-132-prtac-r-conversion-for-revell-hawker-hurricane-mk-ii/

To get an idea of the work put into this.  One of the best Hurricane models I've ever seen.

Cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Keeff said:

Thats a very nice example of the type.

The weathering really pops against the black and gives that 'well used' look. 

Keith 😁 

Keith it is a dark purple blue actually - just the flash making it look darker whereas under my modelling lamp it looks too light - I cannot win!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aims said:

Keith it is a dark purple blue actually

Ah, my bad! 

Seems it's different under different lighting. .... but a fantastic finish none the less. 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

AIMS 1/32 PR/Tac R Hawker Hurricane gallery shots (taken outside - better resolution but the dark blue still looks almost black just like in the WWII photos)

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Aims said:

it is a dark purple blue actually - just the flash making it look darker whereas under my modelling lamp it looks too light - I cannot win!

I suspect this is the reason for use in real life,  bring to mind USAAF  haze paint,   well, the base coat at least

https://www.paulbudzik.com/models/tamiya-p-38-photo-recon/tamiya-p-38-photo-recon-pg2.html

"It was in the summer of 1940 when a prominent paint manufacturer named Samuel Cabot contacted that Army about a new white paint with "unusual properties". It was a colloidal solution of zinc oxide in oil originally know by his stock number L 31340. These "unusual properties" were the grains of pigment themselves. They had a diameter below the wavelength of blue or violet light, which causes a high reflection in these color ranges. This is known as the "Tyndall Effect." This is what makes our skies blue, and the purple of our mountains majesty. Cabot theorized that by spraying this pigment over a dark blue or black base coat, only blue and violet would be reflected...with all other colors of the spectrum being absorbed by the dark base coat. Differing angles of reflection would change the rate of absorbtion and theoretically match the ambient sky color. Although "invisibility" was not promised under all circumstances, it was felt that under certain weather conditions and lighting situations, that this scheme would yield favorable results."

6 hours ago, Aims said:

taken outside - better resolution but the dark blue still looks almost black just like in the WWII photos)

Amazing.  The rivet detail is mind blowing.   co-incidentally I have been mixing paint to try to match the FS595 'match' quoted in Eyes For The Phoenix, and a dull dark purple blue really react to differing lighting conditions.

8 hours ago, Keeff said:

against the black

For you, and anyone else,  a discussion on the colour applied 

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Fantastic build!!!

The rivets are a real highlight.

Alex

Thanks just a shame so much extra money needs spent on the kit but the rivets are a must! The Eduard exhausts, Barracuda Studios wheels, my AIMS conversion, Rotol spinner and props set and AIMS tail wheel fork - all can be done without and just make nice model from the kit with the kit decals but without the rivets it is just wrong - everything else can be made a little better without extra money

• Like 1

Just a great build of an older kit that has some fit and shape problems.  The rivets do bring the model to life.  I understand how you feel.  I just got the Eduard Hind E kit and there are absolutely no rivets on the kit surface even though the actual Hind is full of them.  They do sell a rivet set that costs more than the kit itself though.  Sadly, I'm going to get it to make the model complete, but a little irritated that the kit didn't have them to start with.  Thanks for sharing this very different and well executed Hurricane.  The extensive work you did on customizing the cockpit is just unreal.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Just a great build of an older kit that has some fit and shape problems.  The rivets do bring the model to life.  I understand how you feel.  I just got the Eduard Hind E kit and there are absolutely no rivets on the kit surface even though the actual Hind is full of them.  They do sell a rivet set that costs more than the kit itself though.  Sadly, I'm going to get it to make the model complete, but a little irritated that the kit didn't have them to start with.  Thanks for sharing this very different and well executed Hurricane.  The extensive work you did on customizing the cockpit is just unreal.

This is the New Revell kit!

• Sad 1

A masterly build, John. As well as the improvements with the rivets, the weathering is exemplary and I really like the contrasting levels of sheen that the photo’s pick up.  I also think the single removed panel on the starboard side is a sophisticated touch.  Doesn’t spoil the lines of the aircraft and looks magnificent.  I’ve seen a number of photo’s of Hurricanes with that panel on one or both sides removed for servicing so it looks really authentic too.

• Like 2