Old-skool 1/48th Monogram B-17G

Evening all.

My latest completion is a real classic: Monogram's 1975 edition B-17G in 1/48th scale. I actually started this a number of years ago for a previous B-17 Group Build, but got side-tracked and never finished it. However, I recently stumbled upon the partially-started kit when rummaging in the loft and thought it was time to finish it off. 

Despite its age, it builds well and is a good rendition of the B-17. Although HK have recently come to the party with their B-17F and G kits the Monogram kit, in my humble opinion, is more accurate shape-wise and I actually prefer the raised surface details which are a far better representation of the Fortress' skin than anything recessed. Saying that, I do have both the F and G kits from HK and will build them one day!

This was made more or less as it comes in the box - you can't see much of the interior so I didn't bother enhancing it at all and just enjoyed building it. I did substitute the cowls from the Revell kit however, as I'd previously used the Monogram parts for a B-17C conversion a couple of years ago. The tail gunner's transparency was also improved as the kit part fits poorly so I blended the whole thing in with Miliput, sanded it all smooth, polished it back to clarity and then made my own window masks. Other than that, it's how Monogram intended. Decals came from KitsWorld as the ones I had in the kit (original 1975 boxing) were well past their best. 

I've modelled this as "Pistol Packin' Muma" would have looked in early March 1944 when it arrived at Bassingbourn: 42-37779 flew with the 324th Squadron of the 91st Bomb Group. This was prior to the red 1st Division tails and wing-tips being used, the radio operator's gun is still in position and she's only got three missions to her credit. The Monogram kit is actually a later-batch than the real deal, but I can live with that as other than the cheek gun arrangement, the Monogram kit is a pretty close match for this particular aircraft. 

Paints were my favourite Xtracolor enamels, with decals from KitsWorld. Some light weathering with some pastels give an impression of wear but nothing too dirty as the full on rigours of air combat are yet to ravage her fresh olive drab paint.

For those of you with these Monogram classics in your stash - build them: they're great fun!

Tom

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11

Pic 12

Pic 13

• Like 63
  • Thanks 1

Beautifully done as usual Tom, and proving once again you can't go wrong with old Monogram 💪

Really well done, nice to see you tackle a little subject for a change 😂

• Like 2

Very big and very beautiful.

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

That’s a big beautiful fortress Tom, built one years ago, inspired by Shep Payne’s crash diorama pamphlet that came with the kit, she gathering dust on top of the cabinet! 
Thanks for the memories!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:55 PM, Alan P said:

Beautifully done as usual Tom, and proving once again you can't go wrong with old Monogram 💪

Really well done, nice to see you tackle a little subject for a change 😂

Many thanks, Alan - and yes a 1/48th heavy bomber makes a nice change!!!

On 8/5/2023 at 8:57 PM, Rob K. said:

Nice build of another nice Monogram kit. Still have a few of the other Monogram bombers to start work on soon. Thanks for sharing.

Rgds,

Rob 

Thanks, Rob. I too have a few more to do - the B-26 (lots of notes taken from your build!) and I have the B-24 and B-29, too. Great kits that have stood the test of time well. 

On 8/5/2023 at 9:56 PM, Farmerboy said:

That’s a big beautiful fortress Tom, built one years ago, inspired by Shep Payne’s crash diorama pamphlet that came with the kit, she gathering dust on top of the cabinet! 
Thanks for the memories!

Thank you! This original boxing has the Shep Payne diorama leaflet with it which I have kept - gold dust that still has lots of useful tips!

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1

I have more than a few of these kits still to build including the Phantom version.  Your build of this great old kit was wonderful.  The weathering was subdued, but effective.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 10:37 PM, georgeusa said:

I have more than a few of these kits still to build including the Phantom version.  Your build of this great old kit was wonderful.  The weathering was subdued, but effective.  Thanks for sharing.

Many thanks - and the weathering was kept to the minimum as I have depicted her as a relatively new machine. One day, I’ll have a go at the faded mess they became - the browny-purple hue OD took in after a couple of years in the front line will be a challenge to recreate!

Hello, Tom,

Beautiful work and superb finish.  :analintruder:  👍

Are you deliberately turning into a gremlin to tempt your model-building buddies? :wicked:
I picked up a 1/48th scale B17 from my garage, I think I'll give it a whirl in the GB dedicated to the B17. :hypnotised:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Splendid result from an old kit.

I built one of these back in the 70s, although it got painted a shiny aluminium instead of OD. I remember the Shep Payne leaflet, too. Sadly both kit and leaflet are long lost to the dusts of history...