P51-D Mustang (Revell 1:32)

3 hours ago, galgos said:

Looks like a couple of seams to sort out but it’s coming together really well. 

47 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Hey you did a great job around that belly intake, that's the one bit that gave me trouble with this kit. Otherwise, as you say, it's a super kit, and amazing value for money.

Thanks both! :happy:

I've done a bit more and she's ready for primer

53081417378_7be22573a3_k.jpg

Can't believe how big this is. I know that sounds daft but I've only ever built one 1:32 before; that was Revell's Beaufighter which I expected to be large due to its twin engines.

• Like 4

Managed to get the primer down yesterday and have finished the colours today. The canopy parts are just placed on for now. Ready for gloss and decals me thinks.

53085228863_fc1c57f4e8_k.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, galgos said:

Looks very crisp and smart. Mustangs must be easy to build, this is the second quick one in the GB! 😃

Can't speak for the other kits, but this one is a pleasure so far!! 

• Like 1

Realised last night the the artwork with the decals isn't correct. The belly stripes are depicted further up the side of the fuselage than on the real this so it was a quick repair job whilst in the process of glossing. Never mind; ready for decals now (with a note to doing a little research prior to the build; not during :whistle: )

53088199556_5d15013aee_k.jpg

53088199586_c95a7b6530_k.jpg

• Like 6

I have family staying this weekend so probably not going to get any time at the bench, hence I thought I'd post where I'm at with the decals. The kit decals are good but the 'Kits World' decals are like nothing I've ever used before!! They are quite fragile but the 'clear' parts are nigh on invisible and they conform to panel lines like paint; just amazing.

The 'cloudy' areas are where the 'Sol' reacts with the gloss. I have this every time but it disappears once the top coat of gloss is applied.

I'm not going to use the other half of the decal set, so if anyone wants them, let me know and I'll post them out to you (hope that's not breaking any rules!!)

53093957244_e4bcc25d0a_k.jpg

• Like 6

Looks fantastic all dressed up (well, apart from the nose art figure 😄)

On 8/4/2023 at 9:45 PM, wimbledon99 said:

I'm not going to use the other half of the decal set, so if anyone wants them, let me know and I'll post them out to you

PM sent 👍

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

wow what awesome progress on her!! :thumbsup:

Lovely work, sh'e 's looking amazing, not too much to go before she's finished.

9 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work on that Mustang! I must say she looks good in the green!

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Looks fantastic all dressed up (well, apart from the nose art figure 😄)

PM sent 👍

Thanks all. I’ve quite a few decals to go so probably a few sessions before she’s done. I’m working on the prop and uc in parallel so hopefully not too long before she’s ready for the gallery 🤞

• Like 2

Almost there!! I forget that the work needed to go into the 'last few bits' is always underestimated. The decals are complete and she's ready for an overcoat of gloss. After that it will be the panel lines and light weathering. The bits I've been working on in parallel are almost done; just need to put it all together. The picture's not very clear, but I drilled out the exhaust ports. It's a small thing but makes quite a difference (Matron!!).

53108392657_edf13e78e7_k.jpg

53109910553_73c20d8b41_k.jpg

• Like 6

Yep, the final few bits on my Demon took two solid days of frustration! I presume you’ll be fitting the exhaust ports from inside via the nose opening or do they slot in from the side? 

• Like 1

Hi Craig, Hope you’re good. Thank you 😊 Revell can take the credit here. This kit almost falls together on its own. Not sure what their other 1:32s are like but I might be tempted based upon this one!! 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Not sure what their other 1:32s are like but I might be tempted based upon this one!! 

Their WW2 1/32 stuff from the past 10 years is very nice, especially the Spitfires, Me109s and Fw190s...Me262 is a bit of a challenge though. Avoid the 1/32 jets (apart from the Hunter) unless you like a fight!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Their WW2 1/32 stuff from the past 10 years is very nice, especially the Spitfires, Me109s and Fw190s...Me262 is a bit of a challenge though. Avoid the 1/32 jets (apart from the Hunter) unless you like a fight!

And if you get a Bf109 use an AM substitute for the undercarriage (NOT SAC!, Brassin from memory does a good set) because the Revell ones gradually subside till the plane pancakes! 

OK - 'bits & bobs' sorted and she's complete. The bench lamp make her look glossier and cleaner than she is so I'll take the rest outside one day, for the gallery.

Thanks for the chance @trickyrich for the build; so glad I did!! And thanks for the company of others.

Cheers

Nigel

53121247165_23be428488_k.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/13/2023 at 3:57 AM, Alan P said:

Sounds like I'm in for it then.  That would be about par for the course.  :rofl2:

Nice job on the Mustang.  Certainly looks to have gone together well.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, galgos said:

That’s a great looking Mustang Nigel, one to be really proud of. Looking forward to outside shots too. 

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

Sounds like I'm in for it then.  That would be about par for the course.  :rofl2:

Nice job on the Mustang.  Certainly looks to have gone together well.  :thumbsup:

Thanks both :happy:

Just need somewhere to put her now! :wonder: