The Fleets In-U.S. Naval Air 1910 to Present - 11 May to 1 Sep 2024

LorenSharp

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Count me in, please! I was thinking Curtiss Sparrowhawk, but Marklo has beaten me to it :D But there are plenty of subjects I'd like to cover such as Atlantic Fleet F4Fs, SBDs and OS2Us!

Cheers,

Mark

Coming in at number 14 @2996 Victor ! Come on down!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I really like your attitude towards inclusivity, you're my kind of a GB host 👍

V-P

It's not easy being easy. No comments from the naughty corner,One thing about the Navy Air. It has a long and varied history. There should just about be something for everyone.

• Like 2

Count me in. I don't have a lot of options for carrier-based USN aircraft, although there are a few in the stash, but things get a bit more interesting if some other USN aircraft are allowed. Would training aircraft (I'm thinking of the T-39 Sabreliner and T-6 Texan II) or flying boats (this might finally be the kick I need to build the Sikorsky JRS-1 that's been languishing in the stash) count?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zebra said:

Count me in. I don't have a lot of options for carrier-based USN aircraft, although there are a few in the stash, but things get a bit more interesting if some other USN aircraft are allowed. Would training aircraft (I'm thinking of the T-39 Sabreliner and T-6 Texan II) or flying boats (this might finally be the kick I need to build the Sikorsky JRS-1 that's been languishing in the stash) count?

They're included. Flying boats, Recon aircraft(EC-121, Mercator,etc)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Please put me down for this. An ideal place for X-47A & B.

Alan

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

Welcome aboard Guys!

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Thom216 said:

This looks like a good choice...🤔

sword72140reviewgc_1.jpg

I would concur. If I have enough courage when the time comes I've got a a Golden Wings Vac I may attempt.

6 hours ago, John Masters said:

I've had this on the list for a couple of years.  Thanks to Jet Photos for the screen grab.

53078531441_8b6805eb25_c_d.jpg

Excellent! One thing about the paint job. At least the pilot knows what ship he's from.:whistle:

• Haha 3

More about the USS Texas...I didn't know this. So, if the Modsdeem the Camel ineligible because it launched only once I am ok with that.  However, it did open the door for other cruiser based aircraft to be used as artillery spotters, etc...It proved it could be done.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Texas_(BB-35)

That was a daring takeoff.  Famous picture too.

53079810442_a72666bdb6_c_d.jpg

It seems to me that the current livery is more of a commemorative paint job.   The above image clearly shows a PC10 painted aircraft.  

--John

• Like 1

Its the same as the C-130 tests on the Forrestal in the 60's or the Navy using borrowing a B-47 to test the GE TF34-2 turbofan for the S-3 Viking. As long as you are portraying that particular aircraft, like the one from the U.S.S Texas. Biggest requirements are they have to have flown once. landing... well not so sticky a requirement. So that does include flight test, but not proposed mockups

17 hours ago, John Masters said:

More about the USS Texas...I didn't know this. So, if the Modsdeem the Camel ineligible because it launched only once I am ok with that.  However, it did open the door for other cruiser based aircraft to be used as artillery spotters, etc...It proved it could be done.  

It seems to me that the current livery is more of a commemorative paint job.   The above image clearly shows a PC10 painted aircraft.  

--John

You're right, it is a commemorative scheme. It was how aeroplanes on the Texas were painted for a visit by a President, but they were Sopwith Strutters and Nieuport 28s.

The one in the picture had an odd '3' at the rear fuselage, and USS Texas under the wings in smallish black letters. I'll try and hunt up the pictures. It's one I looked into, but I wound up doing a grey one out of Guantanamo NAS still flying in the early twenties.

Tracked down the picture:

rM6rFcF.jpg

Captioned as a Camel off USS Texas at Guantanamo.

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 1

Count me in on this, Loren.

Do Marine aircraft count, and would it matter if they were operating off a carrier?

Yes or no is fine by me, I've got a lot of US Navy stuff, most of it 'yellow wings' subjects.

James

17 hours ago, John Masters said:

--John

Here's a good collection of pictures:

https://www.tumblr.com/lonestarbattleship/648007024925442048/uss-texas-bb-35-sopwith-camel-f1

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Count me in on this, Loren.

Do Marine aircraft count, and would it matter if they were operating off a carrier?

Yes or no is fine by me, I've got a lot of US Navy stuff, most of it 'yellow wings' subjects.

James

Yes Marines do count. Just don't tell the Navy. As far as I know most if not all Marine Aviation units at one time or another rotated to Fleet ships. At least since WWII.

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

Good question...and I like the answer!

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

Tracked down the picture:

Thank you for the picture Old Man.  I was hoping to use the commemorative paint job as it it is certainly more interesting than the actual livery.  I;'ve already invested in the decals for the lettering.  If I can get a verdict from Loren?  Or...find me a picture of the Strutter...I've got one of those too.