First airliner attempt after 40 years 1/144 Trident

Used to love modelling in my teens and was an avid planespotter at Heathrow, but haven’t modelled anything seriously for decades.  Having started to collect diecast 1/200 models it was always a regret that there was no Trident 3 model, being the first plane I ever travelled on and my favourite.

So I chose what I suppose is one of the hardest available to start with, the F-Rsin Trident in the wonderful Speedjack livery.  It was actually pretty enjoyable, and time consuming.  The kit needs a lot of sanding and tidying, and it didn’t help that one wing was warped.  Because of the way I painted it the most laborious part was all the masking, but the most difficult was the decals, I ruined all the door outlines whilst applying the cheatline and learned a thing or two.  Next time I’ll cut them off and apply separately, or work out a better way of sliding them onto the fuselage.  The engines look very rough and I also had a lot of trouble painting the black nose!  (Is there a good tip for circular masking?)

I painted it matt and then used a satin varnish as I didn’t want a too glossy finish.

I’m semi-satisfied with the result for an initial attempt, and it’s nice to have a BEA Trident 3 on the shelf.  Next one will be an Airfix DC9, let’s see if I’ve learned anything.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Carlo1963
trying to insert pictures
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

For your first build in decades, you have done a wonderful job on this kit.  It looks great.  Welcome back and if your first effort is any indication of what is to come, I will be looking forward to seeing your next model.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

@Carlo1963 I'd be proud to have that model on my shelf all day long.  Sadly G-AWZT was the jet lost over (then) Yugoslavia in a mid-air collision with an Inex-Adria Aviopromet DC-9 on 10th September 1976: was this one of the kit markings options or your own choice? (just curious, no agenda).

Many thanks for kind comments.  I think I need to learn more about masking, particularly along surfaces that aren't straight.  I intend to make more airliners so hopefully with more experience will come better skills!  I'm liking the finish that the satin varnish gives.  I certainly need to learn more about decal handling, was really annoyed I messed up the doors on it.

Yes I chose G-AWZT, a slightly macabre choice but I thought I'd show it in happier times.  The decals gave a choice of every BEA/BA Trident 3 available.

On to that DC9 now..

• Like 1

Welcome to Britmodeller @Carlo1963 Thanks for sharing your excellent model. You should be a lot more than "semi-satisfied"!

I built the BA version of that kit many years ago and really enjoyed it. F-RSIN kits can be heavy going but they are usually accurate and if you put in the work you'll end up with a good model. I realise it's too late for your model but when I built mine I used the engines from an Airfix Trident in place of the F-RSIN ones - much easier!

If you haven't come across them Authentic Airliner Decals make a range of excellent "photo real" cockpit and cabin windows. The range covers most modern jets (including the Trident) and a few props as well. They really enhance any model particularly where transparent windows aren't an option as is the case with F-RSIN.

Any plans for your next model?

Dave G

Thank you Dave,

Yes I saw your BA version of the Trident on this forum, that's a level I would love to graduate to one day, thought it was fantastic.

Good idea re the Airfix engines; I already have the BA version on order with F-Rsin again.

Currently working on an Airfix DC9 with some F-Dcal decals, it's nice to have some cleaner engine assemblies this time.  Not sure how to fill the window apertures in on these Airfix kits, I've used Kristal Klear but suspect I will end up with some odd looking 'window indents' on it, perhaps I'll try filler next time.

There are various ways to fill windows but for what it's worth I use Milliput which doesn't shrink and doesn't eat the thin edges of the openings. Score the inside of the fuselage along the window line and a few mm above and below to help key the Milliput. Mix the Milliput, roll it into a long "sausage" then apply it from the inside pressing it in so that it just protrudes on the outside of the window openings. Let it dry then sand down lightly making sure to maintain the fuselage cross section. You might have to touch up a few corners but basically that's it. I use a tiny drill in a pin vice to mark the first and last windows in each cabin and the emergency exits so that I can locate the window decals after painting. 

Hope that helps

Dave G

• Like 1

Very nice T3, it is not the easiest of kits and you have done  a lovely job on it. As you have realised, door outlines as part of the cheatline can be a real nuisance if they fold over during application. I always cut them off to apply later. 

Looking forward to seeing the DC-9.

Cheers

John