SAM Magazine perfect binding

dwh

Just received my March issue of SAM magazine, what have they done? It is now a perfect binding which means anyone with old style binders left they cannot be used with this new format.

The paper quality is more like newsprint style paper, hence the quality of images is not as good.

My opinion is they have made a big mistake to their flagship magazine.

Edited by dwh
text ammended
  • Sad 1

I know it's not the same and doesn't look as good, but I would suggest box-files to store the recent issues. If folks are looking for uniformity in their magazine collection, this is not a good move on the publisher's part, though. Is it a cheaper method to use than the older-style of binding?

Chris.  

24 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I know it's not the same and doesn't look as good, but I would suggest box-files to store the recent issues.

In Gary editorial, I have noticed they will be doing some special binders for this new binding, maybe all not lost, except for paper quality.

Guideline have assured me the print stock used this month won't be repeated. As regards the perfect-bound format I hope we'll all get used to it - I'm a fan myself, and we've had plenty of positive feedback - and as the editorial mentioned, binders will be made available to accomodate the new format.

My apologies 'dwh', I rather like the new binding style; overall should be considerably better for longevity - I tend to re-read my magazines a lot & often the centre pages start to come out as the staples rub through the paper. (Sadly though, the centrefold isn't as exciting as the ones I remember from my yoof. )  Hopefully, the new binders will help. Since I keep my magazines in order (supposedly) along shelves, the new spine printing means I will be able to find the right mag faster, maybe.

I did notice the change in paper quality too ; glad to hear that won't be repeated - I didn't think it was really bad, but certainly not great ! 

Hmm -  as  Gary wryly commented -  " Sir, Imagine my surprise..." ; it didn't take long ! 

• Like 1

I  bought a copy today as there are a couple  features I  want to read. Apart from the rise in cover price at a penny short of 'sick squid'  I noticed the scale plans for the Beaufort were anything but 1/72 nd as labelled. A big woopsy there.

SAM March issue
As soon as copies of the March SAM were delivered to the office we spoke to the printer about our disappointment with the paper on this issue. I can assure you this has been rectified for the April magazines.
Sometimes you need to trial things in order to understand how best to move forward: 100 pages for 2023, new ideas for the content, and on top of all this a subscription gift as a thank you  to new subscribers and customers renewing their subscription. More details to follow.
Yes, the paper is not what we expected - but this will be corrected. Thank you and enjoy another great issue. 

If you have any comments do let me know.

Kind Regards

Tom  [email protected]

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, dwh said:

Just received my March issue of SAM magazine, what have they done? It is now a perfect binding which means anyone with old style binders left they cannot be used with this new format.

The paper quality is more like newsprint style paper, hence the quality of images is not as good.

My opinion is they have made a big mistake to their flagship magazine.

The binders do fit and we have some new binders on the way. Yes we have made a mistake with the paper this will change back with the April issues

On 2/18/2023 at 1:50 PM, dwh said:

In Gary editorial, I have noticed they will be doing some special binders for this new binding, maybe all not lost, except for paper quality.

The paper is going back to the original stock

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Apologies for what is probably a stupid question. I am not particularly savvy when it comes to computers and tech. Can anyone tell me what format the Scale Aircraft Modelling digital magazine comes in? After subscribing, do I receive the magazine in a downloadable PDF format or is the digital magazine retained by Guideline and the subscriber logs in to their website to read the digital magazine? Thanks.

BM. 

On my iPad is on an app. The mag downloads to that and you can call it up to read without having to download again. However there seems to be an issue with it at the moment as the Nov issue has not arrived digitally 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

With regard to the binding used in this magazine, it intrigues me that the latest issue (April 2024) has reverted to the stapled form of binding.

It bothers me not at all, but I do wonder why.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:50 PM, dwh said:

In Gary editorial, I have noticed they will be doing some special binders for this new binding

Not sure if it was an "is it me?" moment did anyone else find that they had to leave the covers on the magazines this year when they performed the annual ritual of filing them in the binder?