1:24 scale wire wheels

Admiral Puff

I've just scored a couple of Revell classics - the Jaguar XK-120 and the Mercedes-Benz 300SLR Mille Miglia. I'd like to build both with wire wheels: the Jag doesn't come with them, and the ones in the Merc are pretty ordinary. Any suggestions as to a good source? I've found these on Shapeways, but I'm not sure whether they're appropriate for either kit: https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/vehicles?tag=wire+wheels+1%2F24

No, the Borranis aren't really suitable for either kit but I don't think many commercial rims have the correct or nearly corect rim profile or diameter. CrazyCrank recently did a build of the Merc. on this board and printed his own wheels and made extensive use of his 3D printer. If you don't have the luxury of your own printer and would rather use commercial offerings, my own build is in the RFI section somewhere and was all "old school" built. I used commercial wheels meant for a Ferrari, I think but these are no longer available. I don't think they look too bad, certainly acceptable for this kit.

The Jag is a bit different. I'd enquire via Profil24 who sell their wire wheels separately and do a number of cars from different eras so there may be something suitable, particularly from the '50s Astons. Jean and Alice Boyer have both been very helpful. Also, you can try Renaissance. Their products are nice. All of these use p/e spokes which can never be correct but in this scale it's acceptable. Most printed spokes are over-sized, the right size is about 0.15mm which is smaller than most home printers can resolve but that is changing quickly. One thing p/e wheels share is that they aren't cheap but it's all a matter of compromise. Both are good basic kits

Dave

For the Jaguar you need 5" or 6" x 16" diameter wheels with 60 or 72 spokes. Unfortunately, E-Types have 15" rims so the Motobitz items won't look right.

K&R replicas do both the Mercedes and XK120 in metal kits, with wire wheels:

XK120.JPG

MERCMM.jpg

They seem to sell wire wheels separately:

http://www.kandrreplicas.co.uk/ACCESS.HTM

If the 'spares" are not right, it might  be worth contacting them and seeing if you can buy just the wheels from the kits.

I think I might even have some, if I dig around in the spares drawers... I can have a look and photograph what you get, if that would be any use...?

best,

M.

I forgot all about K&R. Inexcusable really because I've built one of their kits, the XK120C. They're certainly a good bit less than Profil but not as good in my opinion. As in most things, you get what you pay for. I'm not sure that the wheels that they sell are for the Merc - they look pretty good on that car. The wheels on the Jaguar look a little off although they're better than kit wheels.

I decided to compromise with the C type. I used the p/e spokes on the inside of the wheel which gave it strength (it's a heavy model) and hand-built only the outer set for the appearance and because it allowed me to only build four sets of spokes. K&R wheels are certainly cheap enough to do this where Profil's price mightmake you think twice.

SEFinecast also do a few wires for their MGA, Austin Seven, MG TC, MG B and Morgan. Their prices aren't bad either.

Dave

Wills Finecast do a set of photo etched wheels with tyres in 1/24th scale.

Not sure if they would be right or not but worth a look.

I believe that Squires in Bognor Regis have acquired all the Wills Finecast and Auto Kits 1/24th scale ranges.

Wills Finecast became South Eastern Finecast a number of years back before the Squires acquisition of them.

Wills made a lovely range of white metal traction engines in 1/32nd scale and also a huge range of model railway items in 00.

Squires carry a huge range of model making tools and accessories that is their main line of business. They had a huge stand at SMW Telford in 2022.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Have you tried Pendle Slot racing?

https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=wire wheels&page_num=3

I was going to say you can see them on @Sabrejet 's most excelent Airfix DB5 to DB4GT conversion, but the photos have been removed!

Malc.

Limited picture hosting I'm afraid. But yes a +1 for Pendle!

Slot racer wheels are a good source it appears.

I have been looking for a set of LMM radially spoked wheels in 1/32 scale to retro fit to a Matchbox Bugatti Type 59. I believe that they no longer sell them as a separate item. If anyone knows of a source please advise me.

12 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I'll definitely do some more work on the Pendle site - there should be something there which will fill the bill!

Not being an expert on slot car racing (or anything else!) I found the Pendle site a bit confusing as to what wheel/tyre combinations worked together - so I emailed them and got a really useful reply back very quickly. Just thought I'd mention.

Keith