Vought Kingfisher ‒ A veritable 'Salty Sea Dog'

Toryu

• Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ Wing preparations
  • Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ Landing flaps
  • Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ Auxiliary floats & Tailplane

Hello Michael,

Come on, I say it anyway:
Wow! What a job! 🤩 :worthy:

Your post will be a reference for me. 👍
A seaplane, Monogram, 1/48th...
You can imagine that I have this model in my stash. 😉

But uh, what can I say?
I think that I will be quite transparent After your presentation and construction!  😆

Having said that, I would add that you are really clearing the field. Thanks to you, I discovered Flightline Engineering and its 3D enhancement set for this kit.

I send you all my encouragement for this great upgrade!

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

Your post will be a reference for me.

Hi Eric, happy if my findings help you with your own attempt at this fine (but outdated and simplistic) Monogram gem. Every time when I think I've got the most difficult part behind me the next issue is lurking. I started with the somewhat mysterious camouflage, another challenge but fun! More soon...

Michael

• Like 1

• Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ Ready to paint?

Dear Michael,

Just saw your other Monogram models (Wildcat and Hellcat) and now, I am following you with this build with a lot of interest.  Thanks for sharing this build with us.  Learning A LOT.

I have my half-built Kingfisher stored on the shelf of doom.  Today, you helped me go and reach for the shoe box where it has been seating for more than 15 years...!! 

Thanks again.

Juan 

• Like 2

Dear Juan @JFM148

Your profile picture suggests that you're a Monogram fan. That's an affection that we share.  A 1/48 modeller for over 45 years I remember the times when there were not many kit manufacturers for this scale. So, I'm still very much associated with Monogram and also Otaki. I've got a few more vintage models in my collection waiting for restoration. One of my favourites is their P-51 as you may well see here.

Muchas gracias por tu comentario e interés, Michael

• Like 1

I must admit I am tempted to paint mine in the blue/gray and light gray scheme as I have decs in my stash for the early style national marking both with and and without red centres. The only thing I do not particularly want to do is the red/white horizontal stripes on the tail though it should be easy enough to make up a dec for them. I have had more than enough white painting on my 4 previous builds though this one is a lot smaller! When I built my Vought Vindicator I did it in the transitional scheme where the tail stripes had been overpainted as had the red circles though they were still faintly visible to the naked eye but not in this photo.

planes 004-crop

Old Airfix Devastator on the left and Special Hobby Vindicator on the right - a bit tricky to build but came out quite well. The Blue/Gray is Xtracolour "faded" a bit

Pete

Edited by PeterB

5 hours ago, Toryu said:

Dear Juan @JFM148

Your profile picture suggests that you're a Monogram fan. That's an affection that we share.  A 1/48 modeller for over 45 years I remember the times when there were not many kit manufactureres for this scale. So, I'm still very much associated with Monogram and also Otaki. I've got a few more vintage models in my collection waiting for restoration. One of my favourites is their P-51 as you may well see here.

Muchas gracias por tu comentario e interés, Michael

Gracias, Michael @Toryu.  Yes, I am a HUGE Monogram fan.  They are the models I've grew up with.   I have 47 years of building (but most of the time, collecting 😆), models.  Otaki/Arii are also big in my collection. 

Congratulations on that huge Mustang collection, really beautiful and inspiring models there.  Thanks for the link.  

Juan 

Edited by JFM148
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

The only thing I do not particularly want to do is the red/white horizontal stripes on the tail

Hi Peter,

In Warpaint Series No.111 'Vought OS2U Kingfisher' there are colour profiles for blue-gray/light gray variants with the early roundel without red centre and without the tail stripes (p.3 and p.11). If you don't have access to this publication send me a PM and I scan the pages for you.

Cheers, Michael

22 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Hi Peter,

In Warpaint Series No.111 'Vought OS2U Kingfisher' there are colour profiles for blue-gray/light gray variants with the early roundel without red centre and without the tail stripes (p.3 and p.11). If you don't have access to this publication send me a PM and I scan the pages for you.

Cheers, Michael

Thanks Michael,

Yes. I have seen photos of them and that is what I have in mind.

Pete

• Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ The Kingfisher in colour
1 hour ago, Col. said:

Your painting skill

Thanks Col. Just want to mention that I'm a brush painter by conviction, using spray colours if necessary (like here).

• Like 3

Michael,

I just looked at your WIP.  

I admire your efforts to improve this old kit, I build one in ancient times, straight from the box. Aftermarket parts ? never heard of.....😄

Good luck with this  Eisvogel...!

Cheers,

JohnHaa 

• Thanks 1

• Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ Adding more colour
  • Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ Fuselage camo finished
  • Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ From assembly to detail

This will be a long dash to the finishing line @Col.. There is still a frightening lot of detail pending. But I'm gonna make it, I guess 🥺

• Like 1

• Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ more detail...
  • Toryu changed the title to Vought 'Salty Sea Dog' Kingfisher ‒ COMPLETED !