1/72 IBG Cromwell Mk.IV (C-Type Hull)

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

this is IBG'S 1/72 Cromwell Mk.IV (C-Type Hull), in markings of the 6th Airborne Armoured Regiment, 6th Airborne Division, operating in Normandy in summer 1944.

Painted with Mr.Hobby acrylics, photos by Wolfgang Rabel.

a-DSC4814.jpg

I added resin tracks and wheels from Tank Models (TM72030), stowage from Modell Trans (MT72062) and photo-etch antenna socket from Dan Taylor Modelworks (C-76081).

The mud is real dirt from the garden, mixed with white glue and pigments and applied to the hull with a bristle brush.

Weathering with pastel chalks, graphite pen and artist oils.

a-DSC4815.jpg

a-DSC4821.jpg

a-DSC4828.jpg

a-DSC4829.jpg

a-DSC4831.jpg

DSC4838.jpg

Thank you for your interest in this topic,

best greetings from Lower Austria!

Roman

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Another great build. Just one thing. Before tying the stowage down, run the thread between finger and thumb with a drop of PVA glue on them and then leave it to dry. It'll get rid of the "hairy string" effect.

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SimonL said:

What was it like to build? I enjoyed making IBG’s 1/72 Crusader tanks a short time ago.

Thanks for your feedback, Simon!

My IBG Cromwell was a smooth build, this kit is not as over-engineered as some of their other vehicles.

However, there are a few inacurracies: the wheels have perforations around the rubber rims, according to my research, these were not used on combat vehicles in '44 (that's the reason I replaced the wheels with resin add-ons from Tank Models).

The commander cuppola and hatches are a bit poor in detail, the same is true for the gun barrel - I replaced the kit's gun with a part from the Revell Cromwell.

I generally enjoyed the build, but was slightly disappointed with some simplifications and omissions.

For example I would have appreciated seperate towing hooks (a standard feature on other IBG vehicle kits), an open gun barrel, and photo-etch parts for the ring  antenna base (the kit does include a small etched fret).

• Like 1