Targets and Target facilities group build pushing for 2025 !

Hello all yes this may seem a weird subject but lets see if we can find any interest. Im thinking target towing ships, range control aircraft, target towing aircraft, target aircraft such as drones, and Armor on target ranges. Maybe we could include other types of range targets such as spy satellite ranging targets that are used to calibrate cameras and sensors. @Terry1954 is my reference for this and I hope its ok that I borrowed this list ? 

Target Tug aircraft

Target Drones (unmanned) - e.g. Jindivik, Firebee etc

Target Drones (converted from manned aircraft) - e.g. QF-86 Sabre, Meteor U-16 etc

Target Drone control aircraft - e.g F7F2-D Tigercat

Aircraft that can carry and or launch Target Drones - e.g. DC-130 Hercules, Canadian Lancaster etc

Any AFV used as a practice firing or test Target - hulks on the range!

Any Ship used as a Target for missile, torpedo or gunnery practice, or test firing

All nationalities

All military forces plus any target facilities provision contracted to civilian companies.

Lets also include the famous flying pinball aircraft of the USAAF of the 1940’s such as P-39’s and P-63’s. Now If there is any interest in this idea please let me know ? If you have any questions this link is to the IPMS:Targets and Facilities S.I.G. There are some better explanations on the website. 

https://ipmsuk.org/directory/target-facilities/

Dennis

1. Corsairfoxfouruncle

2. Terry1954

3. Chrisj2003

4. CliffB

5. Martian

6. Courageous 

7. corsaircorp

8. zebra 

9. Ray S 

10. dnl42 

11. Wez

12. Evil_Toast_R_S_A

12a. Marklo 

14. Bullbasket 

15. Mr T 

16. Colin W 

/6.

🏴‍☠️30.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Brilliant idea Dennis. I have to be p[art of this of course, and I will pass heavy hints to @Martian and @corsaircorp. We can't not be part of this chaps surely?

I'm in with some unmanned drones, BQM-34 Firebee, Jindivik, BQM-74 Chukar, AQM-37 Jayhawk and any number of drone controller aircraft.

Well done Dennis!

Terry

PS there is also an IPMS SIG for this, see the IP{MS website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Shall I add you as an interested party, no participation required just shows youre interest. 

Yes please. I have possible candidates aplenty, it all depends on how far along I am with the Zeppelin display at the time.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Back of the queue and if I've got any life left...maybe.

Stuart

Do you need Rocket fuel incentive ??

Helpful CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Martian said:

Yes please. I have possible candidates aplenty, it all depends on how far along I am with the Zeppelin display at the time.

Martian 👽

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Stuart

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dears...

I promised no more group builds....

So, count me in with a 1/48 TT Tempest.....:phew:

I did'nt start yet !!

So let's go !!

CC

Welcome aboard everyone

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Yes please Dennis.  I've got a Miles Martinet somewhere in my stash....

Welcome Cliff

• Thanks 1

Hello Dennis,

Would an English Electric Lightning from the Target Facilities Flight qualify? I am not sure if they acted as Targets or were for training to hit Targets, but they do fit the GB title. If so, put me down as a supporter for the proposal.

Ray

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Hello Dennis,

Would an English Electric Lightning from the Target Facilities Flight qualify? I am not sure if they acted as Targets or were for training to hit Targets, but they do fit the GB title. If so, put me down as a supporter for the proposal.

Ray

I would say most definitely, would you agree @Corsairfoxfouruncle?

Terry

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 12:48 PM, Courageous said:

Does that mean we should save you some space on the Target Facilities SIG table at Telford? 😁

Terry

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Hello Dennis,

Ray

9 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I would say most definitely, would you agree @Corsairfoxfouruncle?

Terry

As Terry said Yes it would qualify, anything to do with Targets, Ranges, and similar would be good. I imagine there must've been an observation post to report hits/misses to the pilots. Possibly a land rover or armored vehicle to get them out to said observation post. These types of things would also qualify  to me. In fact I can see figures being a part of this build. Infantrymen had to train with Bazooka’s, recoilless rifle’s, PIAT’s. Even now in modern times with weapons like the Javelin or LAW.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Possibly a land rover or armored vehicle to get them out to said observation post. These types of things would also qualify  to me. 

Yes, absolutely.

There are a whole world of interesting potential subjects out there. A friend of mine has built a Sherman Tank Range controller - basically a Sherman Tank, converted to a tank range observation post. It is bright yellow with black stripes, to raise it's visibility in order not to be mistaken as a target!  The prototype operated in germany, post WWII.

Hopefully this is going to be a great GB Dennis, well done for initiating!

Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes, absolutely.

There are a whole world of interesting potential subjects out there. A friend of mine has built a Sherman Tank Range controller - basically a Sherman Tank, converted to a tank range observation post. It is bright yellow with black stripes, to raise it's visibility in order not to be mistaken as a target!  The prototype operated in germany, post WWII.

Hopefully this is going to be a great GB Dennis, well done for initiating!

Terry

Any photo’s of this Sherman, a bumblebee Sherman sounds appealing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...