The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

You can really appreciate the sneaky low silhouette of these from the pics :) ... Looking really good anyway 👍

I've been measuring it against others in my collection. Just above the wheels of a Tiger and a Ferdinand.. A well designed weapon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A well designed weapon. 

Especially the later ones with the longer gun. Excellent for ambushing enemy armour; so long as there's an easily negotiable and concealed way to withdraw quickly.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, echen said:

Especially the later ones with the longer gun. Excellent for ambushing enemy armour; so long as there's an easily negotiable and concealed way to withdraw quickly.

What's the biggest vehicle this one could have potentially taken out, aT34/76 or something much smaller?

I might stand to be corrected on this but I vaguely recall that the early Stugs only fired HE shells for infantry support. The long barrel versions were more capable and IMMSMW they could take on anything less than a KV1 or  IS series opposition.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Ed. Nearly there with this one. I'll try and get some better photos tomorrow to show off the grey a bit. Tweaking my mix has helped a lot imo.

Here's a couple of quick pix to show the scale compared to a Ferdi.

p?i=a41ba2a8b177183b2fe4ea2ff7c135cc

p?i=21a2ea5542d86783f6b9d259076b36d4

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much finished this. A few touch ups needed on the wood, exhausts, tracks etc. This is a clean tank with little weathering, which turns out to be hard to get right. Unfortunately I was clumsy with one of the crosses and had to replace them with a spare set of Tamiya ones, which are much thicker and needed a bit of a rub down. Annoyed a myself for this as the Miniart ones are thin and sit really well. I couldn't find out where the cable from the Notek light went so I've left it for now. (I could have a guess but I'd rather leave it off than be really wrong.)

p?i=c2b120c1dddaa87eacc5e96ad23288ab

• Like 13

Your Stug looks magnificent Stef!

The modulation rather than suggesting faded paintwork highlights the light reflecting off a factory fresh example,  brilliant!

Like it a lot mate. :thumbsup:

Great work 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Darryl for your very kind words.👍

Although it is not the easiest, see previous grumbles, it is a kit I have enjoyed building and happy with the result. I think the touch of red and the wood help greatly or else it could be too monotone. I should start the A soon although the M3/4 groupbuild may slow me down a bit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patrykd said:

The contrast is too low in my opinion. All modulation will disapear. 

Fair comment Patrykd. I was trying to be more subtle in my modulation due to it being factory fresh. There's still a little work to be done so I will keep your advice in mind. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks George. There was a fine balancing act with the modulation. Too much and it shouts loudly, too little and it is just bland grey. The A should be a bit more straight forward with mud, dust and battle fatigue.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milan Mynar said:

Nice model of the early STUG made by MiniArt you presented. I am interested in this kit. I am going to build it ni the future.

Thanks Milan. It's a good kit, a little bit tricky in places but very nicely detailed. Good luck with you future build and if you find out where the cable for Notek light is, on the front bumper, let me know.👍😀

Hi

Very nicely built and painted. Glad it went to a good home, and glad you decided to represent it as "factory fresh". Far to many over weathered models out there so this is a refreshing change.

All the best

Alan

• Thanks 1

Thank you Alan and thanks for selling me the kit, an enjoyable build. The Pz 3 I also got from you may look a bit more battered as I want to try out some new techniques. So no factory fresh. Your recent sales have been very tempting but I am trying to be sensible, although I could be tempted if any Stugs come up in the future. Cheers.👍

Ooh, I'm cross that I've missed all of this, but great start Stef. I don't know much about StuGs, but I do have one tucked away in my Panzer III stash. Interesting to see one based on the 8 wheel Ausf B/C chassis.

I'll follow if I may, mainly to see if you survive the Bronco tracks or do as I did with the Bronco Pz III Ausf A and pound them into dust out of frustration!

• Thanks 1