The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

Thanks guys.👍 It feels like all the tips, hints and techniques I've got off you guys and other online gurus are finally coming together and producing results that I am much happier with.

• Like 1

Cheers George. I found an old phone charger in the "kitchen drawer of shame" and chopped it up. It was fine enough to replicate thin rope and also reasonably maneuverable to get in place. A touch of burnishing fluid painted on cleared most of the silver colour too.👍

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I've tried numerous approaches but that main plate won't budge. I must have nudged it as it set and now it has set good. For fear of ripping the whole front off I will have to come up with a cunning plan to disguise it a bit. It's not terribly noticeable but annoying nonetheless.

When all else fails.....there is always tarp 😉😉😉

• Haha 1

On 24/07/2022 at 10:10, Geo1966 said:

Very nice Stef.

What wire did you use to attach the track length on the front?

George

This is the sort of thing I mean. It's from an old Sony charger and the outer core has this fine metal wire. Good for thin rope, tie downs etc. There's also loads of it and it's free. The inner core has slightly thicker wire if needed, although a bit more of a pig to clean off the plastic casing.

p?i=4e38a43cea689d02854867e006ac9d0d

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I found what I am going to with the B variant. Stumbled across this photo earlier and thought a dirty whitewash would be good to attempt. I'm not sure what Brigade it was so if anyone knows anymore detail....👍

spacer.png

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I'm trying to figure out what she is doing. Washing her clothes?! 

Or, maybe, tidying up her few belongings to take with her as she tries to get away from what will happen when the Stugs attract the attention of the opposition?

• Like 1

99% finished the A now. Got some lights to paint and a few touch ups but otherwise good to go. Cheers all for following along.👍

The kit itself was a fun build but you will need update sets as it is an ancient one. As F Matthews said in his review there are better, modern options out there if you don't want to get into PE etc. For me it helped having to change things as I learned a lot more about the vehicle than an OOTB model would have done. Also a novelty for me was adding some stowage, which was fun to try out some newish painting techniques.

I will take some better photos, or try to, and post an RFI in the next few days.

p?i=1202567e2eb84a7ef69c356f8a84f781

p?i=b5b7a09fe80221e2d56b08a4dc80cb5f

• Like 15

Great detail. Like the wood effect on the cleaning rods, the metallic sheen on the tools, the weathering, the paint work and the stowage - all of it really. :clap:

• Thanks 1

That's a stunner. The grey is interesting because varied, the details of tools etc stand out with out being garish but the best part is the grease on the suspension. I've never seen it done like that before. It just looks right. Makes the whole tank look 'heavy machinery'.

• Thanks 1

This is one great looking model. Knowing how much work you have put in to this one, it really pays of!!!

All the details are on point and the paintjob with the subtle shading looks superb! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. The B should be a bit more straightforward as I am using Tamiya's out of the box. The whitewash maybe trickier so I'll probably try something out on a paint mule first.👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stef N. said:

The whitewash maybe trickier so I'll probably try something out on a paint mule first.

I read somewhere in a Bf109 WIP that wetting the surface pre-painting produces soft edged top-coat areas. Worth a try on the mule?

I'm thinking of trying it to put top-coat paint on a pre-painted wooden cab floor to simulate scuffed paintwork.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, echen said:

I read somewhere in a Bf109 WIP that wetting the surface pre-painting produces soft edged top-coat areas. Worth a try on the mule?

I'm thinking of trying it to put top-coat paint on a pre-painted wooden cab floor to simulate scuffed paintwork.

That sounds an interesting idea. I haven't heard that technique before so could be a goer.👍

7 hours ago, Ned said:

Looking good! Nice to see something not weathered within an inch of it's life.

It came close. I had to rein myself in before I splattered mud effect everywhere, including on myself.😀

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Have to agree with everything that others have said. You've made a cracking job of that one Stef. Keep up the good work on the rest.

John.

Cheers John. I will try my hardest to produce decent results while enjoying myself too.👍

• Like 2

Really, really nice Stef, great work with the panzer grey.

Lots of detail finely reproduced and I like the pine wood box.

Going to have to trawl back and find what you did with the greasy / oily weathering on the swinging arms. :like:

My guess would be the woman in the foreground of the photo is doing the laundry for the tank crews that have been living in her home.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1