The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

8 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

What a good idea. I guess it helps to get paint between the links.

George

There is a tiny bit missed in the deepest recess but nothing like what is left unpainted after how I usually do them. I have some big chunky metal Tiger ones to do soon so I'll have to figure out a good way to hold them in place. Some sort of pin or nail.

Anyway, full credit should go to a Japanese modeller on twitter. Not sure his name but his handle is @Ostwind_ss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Some sort of pin or nail.

Maybe even a bit of copper wire or something like that, so they stay attached?

George

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Maybe even a bit of copper wire or something like that, so they stay attached?

George

I like that idea and could be a bit more secure. I'll give that a try.👍

Quick update. Got the paint on and now will wait for it to dry and give it a seal tomorrow ready for some decals then I can get on with the weathering fun. I was trying for a more mottling effect but overdid the second coat too much. Tamiya German Grey with a dollop of brown in to calm the blueish tone. And a top, lighter coat of my own blend.

It's a bit flat and 1D at the moment but once I can get washes, pin washes and pastels on it should lift it a lot. Hopefully.

The wheels aren't glued in place yet and it looks like the grill isn't either.🤨

p?i=05a283d9e023e5d46c3a4de2c51dba46

• Like 10

I'll try and get some better photos later. The sun is just too powerful to get good ones outside. I must have taken about 100 photos and that is the best one. Damn you, perfect summer weather.😀

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Patrykd said:

I think that contrast is too small/. You shoud definatelly use brighter tone to highlight some areas. If you leave paintin in this stage all willl dissapear after weathering process.

The photo isn't the best to be fair and the contrasts do show better in reality but, once it cools down a bit, I think I will add another highlight just to lift it that bit more.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 19:54, Stef N. said:

Cheers Bertie, although you did scare the beejesus out of me with the notifications. I thought I'd written something inappropriate and was getting an electronic kicking.🤣

I did take inspiration from your Valentine and F Matthews Panzer III builds as a great idea and a good way to learn more about a certain vehicle.👍

Hi Stef

Your post is clearly a reason to build a StuG III again.

Up to here great work from you 👍

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hi Stef

Your post is clearly a reason to build a StuG III again.

Up to here great work from you 👍

Thanks MD. They are enjoyable builds and rather neat looking vehicles once finished. Get a plan and get one on your bench.👍

25 minutes ago, Ned said:

It is looking good. The PE has come out really well.

Cheers Ned. It wasn't that long ago that I hated PE but over the last few builds I've really enjoyed using it. (It helps having the right tools and glue mind you😀.)

20 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks MD. They are enjoyable builds and rather neat looking vehicles once finished. Get a plan and get one on your bench.👍

Cheers Ned. It wasn't that long ago that I hated PE but over the last few builds I've really enjoyed using it. (It helps having the right tools and glue mind you😀.)

A StuH42 would be my first choice-of course without a muzzle brake 😎

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Half way through my shower I remembered my ebay auction for a Dragon Stug D. Someone outbid me near the end and I missed out by £1.😳

The Bronco Ausf. Ds are a bit less expensive it seems than the newer Dragon kits and they are much nicer than the old Dragon offerings.

4 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Half way through my shower

With the weather we are having at the moment, I would tend to value a shower much higher than an ebay Dragon kit, maybe... :hmmm:

;)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, f matthews said:

The Bronco Ausf. Ds are a bit less expensive it seems than the newer Dragon kits and they are much nicer than the old Dragon offerings.

The Dragon from 2017 went for under £40 so it would have been a reasonable bargain (although it did have DS tracks, which I haven't heard a good thing about.) The Bronco ones have a decent reputation so I will be more than likely be using that.👍

• Like 1

Decals on and sealed. Star Decal set used. Nice to use although a tad thick, but this was sorted with a seal, sand and reseal. Always a worrying stage as you feel you will sand away the paint layer. A bit of mud texture was slapped onto and around the axles and under carriage ready for a liberal spray of mud/dirt colour. This will have a little bit of mud but mostly a dustier weathering.

p?i=1dbad9e3f28422f7a095a10708f508b5

p?i=085ddc98c1d9870c03045550f031dfc7

p?i=ad6be625337a200859405af38e0796a0

p?i=5c564d39601e360b9076ebed91594609

• Like 10

Evening all. Very nearly there and now the weather has calmed down I should be able to get it finished soon. A bit more weathering, proper painting of stowage and a few touch ups here and there. The gun is slightly askew and no amount of pressure will move it without the risk of really breaking something.

p?i=823ee0832101bcf873d3ea3c2e8ce730

p?i=1cb6054db4d6aec00b2e7394713d6907

p?i=6da68540ea741be457de19d19291517e

p?i=54076831d972fd2f57a153ef4217bf4d

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Have you tried lifting it? Instead of pushing down.

Model looks excellent!!!! 

I've tried numerous approaches but that main plate won't budge. I must have nudged it as it set and now it has set good. For fear of ripping the whole front off I will have to come up with a cunning plan to disguise it a bit. It's not terribly noticeable but annoying nonetheless.

• Like 1