Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

Noticed earlier that Hannants had 6 sets (has 5 now!😁) of the Check Six Buccaneer decal set which includes the elusive 237 OCU markings.

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

I'm toying with the idea of attaching the bomb bay cover with magnets so can be removed to view the interior.

Shaun

Me too!  I am planning to incorporate it into a stand with acrylic rod for a wheels up build.  Then I can fly it about the room bearing all weapons without a blemish from the stand hole ... oh wait, did I just admit to that out loud? No, no I don't play with my models like that; of course not! :think:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Me too!  I am planning to incorporate it into a stand with acrylic rod for a wheels up build.  Then I can fly it about the room bearing all weapons without a blemish from the stand hole ... oh wait, did I just admit to that out loud? No, no I don't play with my models like that; of course not! :think:

Be interesting to see how good the wheel bay doors and airbrake fit in the closed position.

You could even used the panel to rear of the bomb as your point for the rod/stand.

Now don't give me more ideas.

I'm allready considering borrowing some polycaps from my Tamiya F-16 to make the tanks removable and then swap for pylons as i feel it.

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

Be interesting to see how good the wheel bay doors and airbrake fit in the closed position.

The airbrake is provided as both open and closed options in the kit.  I did a few wheels up builds of the 1/72 kit and it was very easy. Just cut a few tabs off and the doors fit perfectly with a little blue tack on the back side to help fit it flush.

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've found a bit of an error on this kit around the arrestor hook.

From the information in @Lord Riotcurrent WIP and having viewed one of the kit reviews on YouTube. It seems Airfix have only provided the panel with flare dispensers aft of the hook.

This was a modification along with the chaff dispensers on the outboard pylons that appeared mid to late 80's. So it is only applicable to options A & D.

If you want to build options B,C or any other airframe, pre mid 80's a bit of sanding is required. Those flare dispensers that look like 2 prominent square grills need sanding off. The area needs contouring to the surrounding skin.

It really needed the plain panel that is included in the S2C/D boxing, giving the choice of correct mod state.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

I've found a bit of an error on this kit around the arrestor hook.

From the information in @Lord Riotcurrent WIP and having viewed one of the kit reviews on YouTube. It seems Airfix have only provided the panel with flare dispensers aft of the hook.

This was a modification along with the chaff dispensers on the outboard pylons that appeared mid to late 80's. So it is only applicable to options A & D.

If you want to build options B,C or any other airframe, pre mid 80's a bit of sanding is required. Those flare dispensers that look like 2 prominent square grills need sanding off. The area needs contouring to the surrounding skin.

It really needed the plain panel that is included in the S2C/D boxing, giving the choice of correct mod state.

Yes there are a few things on the other sprue that you need for B & C.  The old style fin cap for B is not in there either as a result.  Probably the other optional bit for the airbrake too - not sure about that.  One solution if you are going to build more than one; use the one from the C/D kit to do option B or C in the S.2B kit and then you can use the C/D kit to do an ex-FAA RAF airframe.  Just cut off the flare dispensers to do one like this one nearest the camera:

D7E20DED-ED6B-4225-A6DF-9C8AA12083D7

Another view of the same formation; you can see the triangular arrangement on XT288 (second in line):

XT270 XV160 XT288 73

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 1