Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

3 hours ago, petetasker said:

It's crossed my mind how these MDC's are actually going to be applied to the model.  So far I've only used the Kit World 3D decals and each time I've had to resort to using glue of some sort - qre Quinta any different? Not sure I fancy having glue anywhere around the transparency or are there techniques I don't know about.

Rtfm....they actually tell you to use glue.

'Decal' is a total misnomer, decalpaper is only used because it has to be printed on something, and that something needs to seperate from the printed item easily.

31 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Rtfm....they actually tell you to use glue.

'Decal' is a total misnomer, decalpaper is only used because it has to be printed on something, and that something needs to seperate from the printed item easily.

Not sure there's really any need for 'RTFM' as you put it. My question really was just about techniques for applying on a transparency?

I've started using MIG ultra glue (pva). Great stuff, ideal for these sort of "decals" and Eduard instrument panels. 

Worth a play around with.

HTH

Dick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, petetasker said:

Not sure there's really any need for 'RTFM' as you put it. My question really was just about techniques for applying on a transparency?

My answer to the question is Future floor polish. 

• Like 3

On 07/03/2023 at 20:19, wadeocu said:

My disappointment is confirmed by this pic: no CBLS

On 07/03/2023 at 22:20, Des said:

Considering buying them for a non-Buccaneer project although the last time I needed a CBLS was back in the 1980s and it started life as a rather generic 1,000lb.

On 08/03/2023 at 10:04, Muzz said:

I was also disappointed to see there were no CBLS planned for the boxing, I thought it was a given as for some reason I believed they were included in the 1/72 version but on looking I was wrong. 

I'm trying to CAD the CBLS to 3D print as aftermarket for the Bucc, unfortunately, I can't find any CBLS 100 dimensions!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I'm trying to CAD the CBLS to 3D print as aftermarket for the Bucc, unfortunately, I can't find any CBLS 100 dimensions!

There's some dimensions mentoined in this thread on the forum, not sure if you've seen it or if it will be any use to you.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235121583-cbls-carrier-bomb-light-stores-in-172/page/2/

I'd certainly buy a few pairs off you if you succeed!

Murray

9 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I’d be up for some as well if you manage to do them

Pete

On 3/22/2023 at 4:05 AM, wadeocu said:

Stefan - The thread is a bit adrift here so let’s do a 216 thread in Cold War aircraft to discuss your options there, but I did want to address your point on the mid 80s ocu emblem here.  Most definitely not yellow cutlasses per the old Model Alliance sheet.  Look close at those photos you referenced and you can make it out like it is as depicted on the mid 90s Xtradecal sheet:

52763697003_e9edf6460c_b.jpg

This old sheet was a work of art and excellently researched.  The fox heads look authentically hand painted. Still the best buccaneer decal sheet ever done with the exception perhaps of the excellent sheet in the new kit save for an omission or two.- Jack

IIRC, this was the work of the Late Dave Howley (RIP) who did a lot of work for the aviation modelling press and Hannants in the 1990s. As an aviation enthusiast and modeller of RAF aircraft he was meticulous with his research.

Just now, Tiger331 said:

IIRC, this was the work of the Late Dave Howley (RIP) who did a lot of work for the aviation modelling press and Hannants in the 1990s. As an aviation enthusiast and modeller of RAF aircraft he was meticulous with his research.

Also, I suspect Hannants will produce another set of Buccaneer sheets to go with the forthcoming RAF boxing of the Buccaneer S.2A/B.

6 hours ago, Muzz said:

There's some dimensions mentoined in this thread on the forum, not sure if you've seen it or if it will be any use to you.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235121583-cbls-carrier-bomb-light-stores-in-172/page/2/

I'd certainly buy a few pairs off you if you succeed!

Murray

45 minutes ago, petetasker said:

I’d be up for some as well if you manage to do them

Pete

I've just found Flightpath already makes them!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48122?result-token=vxfmT

15 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I've just found Flightpath already makes them!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48122?result-token=vxfmT

Yeh, I knew that. I've had a set of their CBLS200 before. My experience is they are a pretty old and rough casting. Could still do with a modern updated version!

On 01/05/2023 at 01:02, Muzz said:

Yeh, I knew that. I've had a set of their CBLS200 before. My experience is they are a pretty old and rough casting. Could still do with a modern updated version!

Arrived this morning. I think they look quite nice and very useable.

IMG_1758

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/05/2023 at 17:29, wadeocu said:

Perhaps expected given that they did a similar set in 1/72, but very nice to see nonetheless:

3298-entry-0-1683028084

This looks lovely, but a bit frustrating they don’t offer the folded nose as a stand-alone product. 

Ash

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. According to Jadlam one of the two S.2 RAF I have ordered has been dispatched. I’ve even got tracking details. This should be interesting to see what turns up…

2 hours ago, Greg B said:

Hmmm. According to Jadlam one of the two S.2 RAF I have ordered has been dispatched. I’ve even got tracking details. This should be interesting to see what turns up…

Maybe the 1/72 S.2B in Operation Granby markings that was just released. The 1/48 RAF Bucc isn’t due until the Autumn.

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Maybe the 1/72 S.2B in Operation Granby markings that was just released. The 1/48 RAF Bucc isn’t due until the Autumn.

That’s what I’m thinking. Unfortunately the order is very much so the 1:48 kit A12014 due in the Autumn. 

you never know…

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Only a few weeks to go until the release of the RAF Bucc yet I still haven’t seen any of the planned markings options, has anyone!? Hoping for a grey underside XV Sqn one and a wraparound mid 80s Lossiemouth example.

Can’t wait for this, just in time for Chrimbo too!! I need about three of these beauties. 

• Like 1