1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

But, Kora calls out aluminum (top profile). 

AFAIK the Finns did not use alu paint in repaints,  what was called 'warpaint' done at the state aircraft factory.   Since the undersides have been repaited, and don't look like aluminium paint,  i'd stick with light blue.

I'll have a look in Finnish Fighter colours when I can be bothered.

From their instructions I'd double check Kora's calls outs...note they specify H30 for RAF Dark Green...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finnish Hurricanes were usually painted with dark green, black and light blue when they received the "Warpaint" (Sotamaalaus).

Finnish colours:

• Dark green is NCS S7010-G70Y (Lifecolor set gives an exact match)
  • Black, use flat black and add few drops of white
  • Light blue is NCS S2030-B10G (observed on HC-452: under the fuselage and on the radiator sides). Also NCS S2030-B
  • Ultramarine blue (swastika) NCS S6030-R80B

Cockpit is painted with aluminium and Grey Green (NCS S5020-G30Y). Landing gear bays, legs and door interiors originally painted with aluminium and thinly over sprayed with light blue. Propeller blades Night with Yellow tips.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Finnish Hurricanes were usually painted with dark green, black and light blue when they received the "Warpaint" (Sotamaalaus).

Finnish colours:

• Dark green is NCS S7010-G70Y (Lifecolor set gives an exact match)
  • Black, use flat black and add few drops of white
  • Light blue is NCS S2030-B10G (observed on HC-452: under the fuselage and on the radiator sides). Also NCS S2030-B
  • Ultramarine blue (swastika) NCS S6030-R80B

Cockpit is painted with aluminium and Grey Green (NCS S5020-G30Y). Landing gear bays, legs and door interiors originally painted with aluminium and thinly over sprayed with light blue. Propeller blades Night with Yellow tips.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Antti

Antti,

wasn't this HC painted in warpaint quite early, as by spring of 1941 she carried the ski tests in this scheme? Note that there are no yellow theater markings applied yet. By then, we had no Do 17:s and the light blue DN-colour either, so the belly colour shouldn't be light blue, but aluminium dope or light grey.

Hyvää joulua, V-P

• Like 3

On 12/21/2023 at 9:33 AM, vppelt68 said:

wasn't this HC painted in warpaint quite early, as by spring of 1941 she carried the ski tests in this scheme? Note that there are no yellow theater markings applied yet. By then, we had no Do 17:s and the light blue DN-colour either, so the belly colour shouldn't be light blue, but aluminium dope or light grey.

Yes, light blue was ordered as undersurface colour during May 1942. There were both light gray (at least HC-454) and cilver dope (at least HC-451) undersurfaces of Hurricanes painted into Finnish scheme before spring 1942.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Excellent point Troy and V-P,

I would use light grey on my model. As V-P said light blue was first used in 1942. I haven't heard that aluminium was applied together with olive green and black.

Hyvää Joulua V-P and Troy, Merry Christmas everyone!

Antti

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I haven't heard that aluminium was applied together with olive green and black.

Hi Antti,

See for example various Lari Stenman books by Stratus. Aluminium was used mostly on metal-covered war-planes like Blenheim, Brewster, Fiat, SB and DB... Light Grey in either fabric or plywood-covered aircraft like MS 404, Foller D.XXI etc. HC-451 is clearly seen on photos with metallic shine.

God Jul,

AaCee

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello AaCee,

I agree that aluminium was used on planes like Brewster, SB-2 and DB -bomber. They were all initially painted with aluminium overall. Olive green and black was applied on top of that. You can see canopy frames left in aluminium on many Brewsters. My memory says (and it could go wrong) that Blenheims and Fiats had light grey undersides.

God Jul AaCee🙂

Antti

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Antti_K said:

I agree that aluminium was used on planes like Brewster, SB-2 and DB -bomber. They were all initially painted with aluminium overall. Olive green and black was applied on top of that. You can see canopy frames left in aluminium on many Brewsters. My memory says (and it could go wrong) that Blenheims and Fiats had light grey undersides.

Hello Antti,

Brewsters were painted hastily at Vesivehmaa just before the Continuation War. That's why they had unpainted canopy frames and serial surroundings on some planes.

Photos are better source than at least my memory and just a few aircraft I just checked: BL-129, FA-21, FA-22, HC-451 etc. in so-called war-scheme clearly had silver dope bellies åainted between autumn 1940 to May 1942. But there were plenty of planes with light grey undersurfaces. It looks like that some types had both grey and silver undersurfaces. IIRC this was published as a wide practise in book "Sotamaalaus" (War-paint) less than twenty years ago, I'd suggest to try to find photos of the individual aircraft one is planning to built. Luckily Finnish aircraft are pretty well documented ;)

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thanks @AaCee26@Antti_K@vppelt68@Troy Smith--not only did I get my answer, I also learned a whole lot! Sounds like Kora's call out of aluminum is possible, but I'm inclined to go with light grey.

Still not sure about Germany's underside though--anyone?

Meanwhile, here is the Spitfire prop and spinner stolen from the KP Spitfire MK I kit to use on Finland.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65619&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65618&authk

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Still not sure about Germany's underside though--anyone?

I’ve always thought captured allied aircraft operated by Zirkus Rosarius had Yellow bellies to identify them as friendly to Axis anti-air and other fighter units. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zirkus_Rosarius

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

If I do a little bit every month eventually Finland (Arma Mk I) will be done, right? Today it was work on landing and navigation lights. Arma deserves a lot of credit for how they've designed these.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67423&authk

I have them all installed and sanded in nicely. Next step will be to clean them up with the fine sanding pads.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67418&authk

• Like 8

@ModelingEdmontonian there is a guy in Poland who makes decals, Mr Decal I don't have his website address to hand but he does have 1:72 IAC Hurricane decals on his site.  Google Mr Decal Poland and you will find his website and FaceBook page.  I'm building my stash of kits to do Irish Air Corps set, as many different aircraft as I can get Kits for.  Decals are the issue.  There were ones done by Max Decals but they are out of print currently and no date yet for reprints.  Max Decals has a FaceBook page too.

Anyway I've reached out to Mr Decal to do a set of IAC Decals for various aircraft and he is working on this as we speak.  But he does have the Hurricane one done already.  Worth checking out.  I'm in no hurry myself as I have plenty of kits with IAC decals to get me started and I'm waiting on my 1:1 house build to finish.  If postage it too high and you aren't in hurry let me know we might be able to add to my order and post them up to you from Texas.

Regards

Colin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philly1860 said:

I'm building my stash of kits to do Irish Air Corps set, as many different aircraft as I can get Kits for.  Decals are the issue. 

Airfix did an issue their 1978 Mk.I kit with 105 as an option,  

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11536

DSC02621%20640x480_zpsq5zi7808.jpg~origi

There were ones done by Max Decals but they are out of print currently and no date yet for reprints.  Max Decals has a FaceBook page too.

Also, Aeromaster did an IAC option on sheet, again the Mk.I 105

The Max Decals is for a Mk.IIc,  115,  

53534950065_4187cd75cc_b.jpg2024-02-17_02-21-30 by losethekibble, on Flickr

the weird thing is Max Decals have the 5 wrong,  looking at the reference photo, the 5 is like the 105 style, 

_123975065_airhurricanes.png

Looking at the Max sheet, they also do 93, which there are a few photos of, and there is a 6 in the Hurricane section, which is a new one for me, though probably  to allow doing 116

1153453-40462-99-720.jpg

they did another version as well

13.jpg

note the paint guide is not well observed, looking closet at 115, you can see where the upperwing British roundels have just been painted out using only Dark Green on the port wing and only Ocean Grey on the starboard wing

10.jpg

one final detail point, 93, ex P5178, was a Canadian built Mk.I, and as such has the early style windscreen and no rectangular fabric hatch

Hawker-Hurricane-I-Irish-AF-P3416-Irelan

HTH

• Like 3

There were 4 different versions in IAC service Mk I, IIa, IIb & IIc.  The colours did change through their service life.  In work at present but will have a more detailed look later and message you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Philly1860 said:

@ModelingEdmontonian there is a guy in Poland who makes decals, Mr Decal I don't have his website address to hand but he does have 1:72 IAC Hurricane decals on his site.  Google Mr Decal Poland and you will find his website and FaceBook page.  I'm building my stash of kits to do Irish Air Corps set, as many different aircraft as I can get Kits for.  Decals are the issue.  There were ones done by Max Decals but they are out of print currently and no date yet for reprints.  Max Decals has a FaceBook page too.

Anyway I've reached out to Mr Decal to do a set of IAC Decals for various aircraft and he is working on this as we speak.  But he does have the Hurricane one done already.  Worth checking out.  I'm in no hurry myself as I have plenty of kits with IAC decals to get me started and I'm waiting on my 1:1 house build to finish.  If postage it too high and you aren't in hurry let me know we might be able to add to my order and post them up to you from Texas.

Regards

Colin

Oh, thanks, Colin, but @Beard helped me out sometime ago with the Airfix decals @Troy Smith pointed out.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!52127&authk

Ireland is all done!

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!56119&authk

Great to hear though that there's someone producing more IAC decals! I'll be fascinated to see your builds!

• Like 7

There were 4 different versions in IAC service Mk I, IIa, IIb & IIc.  The colours did change through their service life.  In work at present but will have a more detailed look later and message you. 

I saw a list from an old magazine, it was a farcebook group,  my message box if full, but you can email me, either the one on my profile, or the one in the IPMS Mid Sussex link.

50692177566_cdc9748ed5_c.jpg?fbclid=IwAR

no IIa or IIb listed, though the Key Aero article  https://www.key.aero/article/small-fierce-irelands-air-corps-during-ww2 has

On June 10, 1941 Hurricane IIa Z2832 of 32 Squadron ran out of fuel, landing at Whitestown. Hurricane IIb Z5070 came down at Athboy on August 21. Following talks with the British these were put to work with the Advanced Training Section.

IIRC these were then 94 and 95

but these are up 

10264891_651757768244952_751730698266870

and this is particularly useful for the other side if 115

10683716_938680236159600_418058449162295

Have to check the camo pattern on my build again...

Edited by Troy Smith
additions
  • Like 3

So something crazy happened to me last night. After three years of research on which air forces used Hurricanes, I thought I knew them all. But, as I found myself casually browsing Heller Hawker Hurricane kits on Scalemates I came across this one:

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67415&authk

That's funny, I thought, a "what if" Norwegian Hurricane as the subject of a kit! And they even did some funny things with the camouflage on the rudder...

I was curious to learn more about the kit and eventually I found a photo (and frankly a very lovely photo!). At first I thought "is that a remarkably well done photo of a really well built 1/72 Heller kit"? Then I thought, are those even Norwegian markings?

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67426&authk

Then I found another photo; less beautiful, true, but even clearer.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67414&authk

Somehow I had totally missed this--a Hurricane did in fact fly wearing Norwegian markings! And Heller's funny camo on the rudder is clearly based on the photo. 

Wikipedia says this, and I guess I never clued in that the "single Hurricane" might have worn Norwegian markings:

Two squadrons of Norwegian pilots in the RAF used Hurricane Mk.I and Mk.IIb defending the Scapa Flow naval base on the Orkneys in 1941. In summer 1942, both were transferred South to 11 group, trading in their Hurricanes for Spitfires. A single Hurricane flew in Norway after the war, used for evaluation only.

So, I have another subject to add to my project! I even think I have some decals that can work:

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!60246&authk

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I saw a list from an old magazine, it was a farcebook group,  my message box if full, but you can email me, either the one on my profile, or the one in the IPMS Mis Sussex link.

Not as yet refound it,  but these are up 

10264891_651757768244952_751730698266870

and this is particularly useful for the other side if 115

10683716_938680236159600_418058449162295

Have to check the camo pattern on my build again...

The different spinner colours are interesting in both of those photos (maybe they're all Sky except 115 is black?).

There's this lovely photo too which clearly shows the different spinner types.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!55705&authk

And some info here: https://www.key.aero/article/small-fierce-irelands-air-corps-during-ww2

• Like 3

There were 20 Hurricanes in total.  Nos 93 - 95 & 103 - 120.

Nos 103 - 112 and 114 were all Mk I.

Nos 94 & 05 were Mk IIb

No 93 was a Mk X

The rest were Mk IIc

Nos 93 - 95 all delivered unintentionally having forced landed in Ireland in 1940 & 1941.

The rest were ordered and arrived between 1943 and 1945.

Nos 93 to 114 were all in Dark Green and Dark Earth camouflage on upper surfaces and underneath rear fuselage, silver underside.

By this time Nos 115 - 120 arrived (1945) the colour scheme changed and the Dark Brown was replaced with Ocean Grey upper surface and Medium Sea Grey on undersides.

I think I have this correct.

@ModelingEdmontonian glad to hear you got sorted.  Still working on the stash and then have to start practicing to get skill up to par and all this after the 1:1 house build finishes so it won't be soon but it will happen some Thursday just not this Thursday.

I have more info on IAC aircraft if anyone is looking for it PM me.  Happy to share what I've gathered so far.

Colin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finland (Arma Mk I) got a little more love today. First, the landing and navigation lights got buffed up.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67516&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67517&authk

And then, why not get started with the light grey on the underside.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67515&authk

• Like 7

Finland's lower camo went on nicely, and I went ahead and got the wheel wells opened up again and sealed it all with some Pledge.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67533&authk

May as well add a couple of roundels . . .

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67532&authk

Then I flipped her over and began with some olive green up top.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67536&authk

• Like 7