4 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Hi, I have heard others talking about using Pledge, but which one should i get and do you need to thin it and if so what with?

A photo of the correct stuff would be handy, if you don't mind.

Cheers, George

Looks like @ModelingEdmontonian got it. 

• Like 1

Back to the bench this weekend and Portugal (Arma Mk IIc)... she's ready for her legs. Arma has done such a great job with designing the UC on the Mk II (improved versus Mk I).

y4my_LE_44818ervI_5UUkugTtB_eeuAkupWreuC

Wheels, UC doors, and pitot tube were attached, then cannons next.

y4mfAZ3_fCki0vzkwWGfZidxOqH6UV-Ozik3TkGZ

Antenna mast and prop fitted, then liquid mask over the landing and navigation lights, all ready for a matt coat.

y4mtyoT7_aW8TUtNCCrUznF80nsnMsO_r2miOnEq

And here she is after a first matt coat.

y4mGl-YqHkFW4McknS-rGL4hZomyIlm66HxaR1Eo

Almost there...

• Like 8

ID light dried nicely.

y4mcDiX7UEhmMBmcbtFwnucqMhQjDUVIjRGDr1Ui

And now the canopy is on. I'll just let that glue dry, but otherwise I think she is done. I think this is my fifth Arma Hurricane and I have to say I am now really appreciating what they've done, especially with the Mk II. I'm glad they chose the Hurricane to treat so well!

y4mMMnZ_J0pGW7Mc9MhkmuHpInqPH9Efbh49eoR3

• Like 9

With Portugal done, South Africa (Arma Mk I) came out to get some work on its navigation and landing lights.

y4miG_QwN8xPagAIIyqLRgcomtVyMlgLW-t6MveE

South Africa will wear Dark Green and Dark Earth over Sky--in my mind this is "classic" Hurricane camo, but South Africa will be the only Hurricane of the project wearing it!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

South Africa is languishing, but my version of G-AMAU as part of the Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB is all done!

y4mOVSADbIF4DenXIHLQV7mGmKE2RrBM_aeLXBhq

y4md4F6T9NxK9yeeFiRhxYhxOxengHimcxp7t7nR

y4mInZqx6WnN2oM3XVhmaOoLe5tKVD8n4yzPzm-_

y4mzo8b6eOH05FQqP4Bxz1aHZCbkpmKybeoz_z5b

y4mr35IY_WhLmfZVPPo2q3KrapU8z51MoTrHuC5C

She is now featured in the GB gallery: 

And here again is the WIP: 

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

I have a few other-than-Hurricane models on the go what with a couple of my other projects (Last Legs Ponies, Minor Gustavs) plus a PR Spitfire, but I was lucky to be able to spend some longer time at the bench today and I decided to get on with some Sky on the underside of South Africa (Arma Mk I). Work began on South Africa well over a year ago, so she has been very patient as the final "Phase 2" Hurricane. Surprisingly, she is only the second Hurricane of this project to have Sky as the underside colour (USA is the other).

y4mm54li5go14f5US2qDY0S8nBINjG6FO_A3oEer

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I have a few other-than-Hurricane models on the go what with a couple of my other projects (Last Legs Ponies, Minor Gustavs) plus a PR Spitfire, but I was lucky to be able to spend some longer time at the bench today and I decided to get on with some Sky on the underside of South Africa (Arma Mk I). Work began on South Africa well over a year ago, so she has been very patient as the final "Phase 2" Hurricane. Surprisingly, she is only the second Hurricane of this project to have Sky as the underside colour (USA is the other).

y4mm54li5go14f5US2qDY0S8nBINjG6FO_A3oEer

Nice! I'm surprised this is only your second sky underside, but then, I haven't done any!!!!!

I'm still reeling from G-AMAU: what a stunner - I only wish I could find a set of decals so I could do one as well :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 3:39 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Nice! I'm surprised this is only your second sky underside, but then, I haven't done any!!!!!

Yes, surprising it is, which is why I mentioned it. For me Sky is the classic underside colour (with Dark Earth and Dark Green upper) for a Hawker Hurricane, but South Africa will be the first and I think only one I model in those colours. Partly that is because I have intentionally tried to do a diversity of schemes, but mostly I suppose its because during the Battle of Britain when TLS was used Hurricanes were not being shared with other air forces! I just counted: four (Iran, Turkey, Egypt, and France) are wearing desert camo, and three (USSR, Ireland, and Portugal) are wearing DFS, but other than that no camo scheme is or will be featured more than twice in the project.

On 12/16/2022 at 3:39 AM, 2996 Victor said:

I'm still reeling from G-AMAU: what a stunner - I only wish I could find a set of decals so I could do one as well :D 

Glad I found an excuse (and the decal set) to model it! And while she doesn't fit perfectly in the Hawker Hurricanes around the World project, I think she still belongs. Good luck finding the decals, I would love to see more built!

• Like 2

More progress on the Sky underside of South Africa (Arma Mk I) below . . .

y4mT-psxHUwFs7IOndgWn8cR0DORDcdGPeU2zbkq\

. . . but mostly I'm only updating because I was excited to open my Arma Hobby e-newsletter this morning and see @Troy Smith credited on Arma's new Hurricane Mk IId! Well done, Troy--nice to see you get a call out like that after all the Hurricane knowledge you so generously share around these parts!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

. . . but mostly I'm only updating because I was excited to open my Arma Hobby e-newsletter this morning and see @Troy Smith credited on Arma's new Hurricane Mk IId! Well done, Troy--nice to see you get a call out like that after all the Hurricane knowledge you so generously share around these parts!

Excellent! 

Great progress on SA, too - the Sky looks great!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

I was recently puttering around the interweb as one does and ordered two Hurricane resin kits. One of them is this Kora ski set which I hope to use when I build Finland, which would be HC-454. 

y4m1MZLQjwTOfC47HfqoLgilur0fpmi9uEYZh3h1

This is her with skis fitted. I assumed it was fabric wing, but as I look at the landing light position relative to the MGs I'm second guessing that. I imagine @Troy Smith can set me straight in no time...

y4mwdowgBguMZ-927vcIbaL7KoeCPoponGtvBgV8

I also don't see yellow tips on the prop, which I find surprising.

Another angle, but I assume less helpful in determining wing type:

y4m1Rlhgj3-FZ-528kdxmchbNaK3AdoZLVVWlE5m

The other resin, admittedly a bit of a departure from the project strictly speak, is this PR kit, which I may use as part of the recce GB coming up. I enjoyed painting a Spitfire in PRU blue recently, and was thinking a Hurricane would look good that way, too, but I think actually the three versions this kit supports modeling wore other camo colours. So, we'll see what happens with this one; regardless, it would need to be an RAF version if I pursue it.

y4mx3pX45ewTIQixfFFnSwox3JQnA1eX8jVl_I3L

• Like 4

Sounds like the Finnish Hurricanes were all from the same batch so probably all metal wings or all fabric.

Good pic here you can blow up and get a good look at the wing.

989136d1471202631-hawker-hurricane-finni

Also, the one in the Finnish Air Museum definitely has metal wings.

Hawker Hurricane Mk. I "HC-452/Black 5"

Edited by philp
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, philp said:

Sounds like the Finnish Hurricanes were all from the same batch so probably all metal wings or all fabric.

Apparently this is not actually the case. HC-454 was (apparently) originally fabric, but there seems to be uncertainty regarding whether or not some of the fabric winged received metal wings later. And certainly some of the Finnish 'canes were metal-winged from the start. If you're interested, this is a good thread: 

@Troy Smith points out that the easiest way to tell the difference is by location of landing lights--with them being further out on metal wing vs. fabric. To me the one in the picture you shared (I think that's HC-451, but not sure) is clearly fabric, but I feel I am seeing more space between MGs and landing light on HC-454 than there is in the photo you've shared. I want it to be fabric because I want to use it with an Airfix Mk I (fabric) kit, but I have an Arma Mk I (metal) if required...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, philp said:

Hawker Hurricane Mk. I "HC-452/Black 5"

Ah, this is a good photo to compare to! The distance from MGs to landing lights is clear--in essence you could fit the MGs all over again between the MGs and the landing light, whereas on the fabric wing it is more like half that distance. And based on that I would say HC-454 has metal wings. But, I'll probably be corrected 🤪

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

and was thinking a Hurricane would look good that way, too, but I think actually the three versions this kit supports modeling wore other camo colours. So, we'll see what happens with this one; regardless, it would need to be an RAF version if I pursue it.

DG622  "Kathleen" is as far as can be determined, a 'Bosun Blue' , and is an interesting airframe, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235118843-algy-spurr-photo-album-1-hurricane-iia-pr-dg622-a-converted-early-mki-l1658/

you even read the thread!  Note the early type windscreen was retained.

9 hours ago, philp said:

If only it was that logical.  Unless you have production records, or a good photo, they are intermixed.   There is a serial for the first metal wing built,  but after that....

Mk.I Hurricanes in the small details that are of interest to modellers are complex and confusing.  There are general guidelines,  but exceptions keep popping up.  

Note HC451 is fabric winged.

Gloster only built metal wing,  but to add  to the confusion in the summer of 1940 Hawker built 50 P and V serialed Hurricanes with fabric wings, pretty much randomly mixed in!

This is the first place I saw a confirmatory list,  though there had been threads on "why does the BoB standard mk.I look to have fabric wings" 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005804-hurricane-p3886-uniqe-fabric-wing/page/2/#elControls_3735801_menu

There is this very old thread, with a lot of errors

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38048-finnish-hurricanes-fabric-or-metal-wingers/

all the Finnish planes 

This

"Here is the serial list and original HU serial number:

L2048 - HU450

is first Hawker batch, and is listed as the one to be sent to Poland.

N2322 - HU451

N2323 - HU452

N2324 - HU453

N2327 - HU454

N2347 - HU455

N2348 - HU456

N2358 - HU457

N2392 - HU458

N2393 - HU459

N2394 - HU460

N2395 - HU461.

These are from the second production batch from Hawker.

Getting off the point.  This fabric winged.  (and took a while to find...) 

Hurricane_87_Sqn_France.jpg

y4mwdowgBguMZ-927vcIbaL7KoeCPoponGtvBgV8

So I'd say HC454 was metal winged.

10 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I also don't see yellow tips on the prop, which I find surprising.

maybe film type.

Other images of HC-454 in Finnish Fighter Colours show yellow prop tips and a yellow spinner tip.  Ignore the profile.

6b2b9bc6ed3d2e3b5d589702582c4041.jpg

No idea if HC-454 had the yellow tip when fitted with skis.

I can't see any trace of the yellow eastern front ID marking in the ski shot, and HC-454 was the first Finnish Hurricane to receive Finnish "warpaint" on 11th Dec 1940.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 7:54 AM, Troy Smith said:

DG622  "Kathleen" is as far as can be determined, a 'Bosun Blue' , and is an interesting airframe, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235118843-algy-spurr-photo-album-1-hurricane-iia-pr-dg622-a-converted-early-mki-l1658/

you even read the thread!  Note the early type windscreen was retained.

Thanks, Troy. May look to learn more as I get closer to building a PR Hurricane.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:54 AM, Troy Smith said:

So I'd say HC454 was metal winged.

Alright, so we agree. Arma then it will have to be. 

Meanwhile, South Africa's underside is all done.

y4mdeY8cH0i6edhH-jiJ1I1ih5nswuuNXpy-xEuF

And onto the Dark Earth up top. I'm returning to XF-52 for this one.

y4mwM1WBEumrJKwdUsg8WneFD5INPP7DT2ETAY3e

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 3:24 PM, stevehnz said:

That was a happy catch up from page 18, somewhere back in the depths of last year. You've made some super models along the way in super schemes. They sure look the goods to me. 👍

Happy New Year.

Steve.

Thank for the kind words, Steve. I'm not sure about super models, but I definitely agree they're super schemes!

Meanwhile, I got back to South Africa (Arma Mk I) last night and finished the Dark Earth (Tamiya XF-52).

y4mQjsjQ87YVWirsq4vkWZBNOKn1fuEESGOjUq4W

Next up is the Dark Green, for which I will use Vallejo 71.324. I should be able to focus on South Africa a bit more for the next bit so hope to bring her to the finish line before too long. She has been exceptionally patient!

• Like 8