For Andy,.... 1/72nd Academy Catalina, RNZAF ***FINISHED***

Another update,..... decals on!

Although I was using the Aeromaster sheet,..... I thought that the fuselage roundel was a tiny bit too small,... so I used the DK Decals ones instead. Now the Aeromaster sheet does supply a dark blue disc for each side of the nose to represent the painted out early style roundel,..... and I see where they are coming from as it can be seen in a photo, but this is from earlier in the aircrafts service when it still had the intercooler fairing above the engines and before the white bars were added to the roundels, Later photos,..... after the `Dumbo' Elephants were added to the nose following the rescue of a B-24 crew,.... show that the disc is now invisible, having faded in the strong sunlight and blended in with the paintwork,...... or maybe the aircraft had since had a repaint? For this reason I left the disc off;    

DSCF9920-NEW.jpg

DSCF9921-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 11

Looking good.

I managed to get a wonderfully cheap Academy PBY-5A off the 'bay, need to source an RAF (rare in service I believe) or Commonwealth one but seem as rare as the proverbial Rocky-Horse Doo-Dah!  Any ideas?  Still after a PBY-5 to do but are dear secondhand, still waiting to see if Wildcats Models get them in and the price.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Looking good.

I managed to get a wonderfully cheap Academy PBY-5A off the 'bay, need to source an RAF (rare in service I believe) or Commonwealth one but seem as rare as the proverbial Rocky-Horse Doo-Dah!  Any ideas?

Airfix decals sounds like what you're after.   I might have a set.

Try the wanted forum - see if I reply.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Airfix decals sounds like what you're after.   I might have a set.

Try the wanted forum - see if I reply.

Cheers for that. I thought I read somewhere that the markings on the kit are for a PBY-5 version, not the amphibian -5A? Or is that not the case?

No rush anyway, somewhat down on the build list😁

Davey.

6 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Cheers for that. I thought I read somewhere that the markings on the kit are for a PBY-5 version, not the amphibian -5A? Or is that not the case?

No rush anyway, somewhat down on the build list😁

Davey.

I didn't know that. 

I completed an Academy PBY-5A last year. I didn't use Airfix decals, 'cos I was already committed to the eyeball turret, and shrouded exhausts.  Instead I completed mine as a US Navy Atlantic scheme, operating out of Guantanamo Bay.

3 hours ago, Ray S said:

That looks really good Tony. The Catalina is such an elegant aircraft, and you are doing it proud!

Cheers, Ray

Thanks Ray,..very kind of you,..... and yeah there is something about the Cat that I like too. 

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Looking good.

I managed to get a wonderfully cheap Academy PBY-5A off the 'bay, need to source an RAF (rare in service I believe) or Commonwealth one but seem as rare as the proverbial Rocky-Horse Doo-Dah!  Any ideas?  Still after a PBY-5 to do but are dear secondhand, still waiting to see if Wildcats Models get them in and the price.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Cheers Davey,...... well done finding an Academy kit at a decent price,..... of any variant. If you have a -5A amphibian and want decals,..... then a RCAF option might be of interest,..... Aviaology (here,.... https://www.aviaeology.com/store/c6/72nd_scale_Decals-n-Docs#/)  do two excellent sheets,.... one covering the amphibians,..... and as well as serving in Canada some of the latter also served in Iceland and on detachment in Scotland! Hannants might have some left in stock?

DK Decals did a Commonwealth Catalina set but I think it is sold out everywhere (http://www.dkdecals.cz/navod_CatalinaRAF1.jpg ),... you might get some ideas from the instructions at least,..... including 333 (Norwegian) Sqn in RAF markings, a Dutch one in RAF markings and an overall green RAAF one too. 

Yeah I`m hoping to get a Wildcat Models one,..... but I have a feeling they may be quite expensive if they ever arrive in the UK. Unfortunately the Academy kit that Revell recently released was the -5A,....... I was hoping for a -5 too!

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

but this is from earlier in the aircrafts service when it still had the intercooler fairing above the engines

What " intercooler " fairings doth thou speak of?

Chris

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

What " intercooler " fairings doth thou speak of?

Chris

Well I`m no technical expert Chris,.....I jumped out of the buggers and didn`t fix or fly them,....... but I`ve seen them described as such,...... these `thingabybob`s' on top of the engine cowlings;

Catalina-NZ4008-XX-J-2.jpg

XX-T is the furthest away,..... note how it has the early roundel overpainted with darker paint,....XX-M is slightly lighter and XX-R is lighter,.... 

cat2.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, tonyot said:

these `thingabybob`s' on top of the engine cowlings;

Heating ducts for deicing for USN  cold weather operations in Alaska and the Atlantic.  They were eventually removed in the SWPA as being an un needed piece of kit. I can find my Catalina book if needed but this should help. 

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/70140/pby-5a-exhaust-modification

I didn't use them on my Aussie Black cat. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Davey,...... well done finding an Academy kit at a decent price,..... of any variant. If you have a -5A amphibian and want decals,..... then a RCAF option might be of interest,..... Aviaology (here,.... https://www.aviaeology.com/store/c6/72nd_scale_Decals-n-Docs#/)  do two excellent sheets,.... one covering the amphibians,..... and as well as serving in Canada some of the latter also served in Iceland and on detachment in Scotland! Hannants might have some left in stock?

All the best

Tony

Had a look on the Hannants site, out of stock but available to pre-order so interesting and not  too dear.

The kit I got is here if you care to look. £19.99 inc. postage (mine came first class next day!).  I had it in my watch-list and a couple of days later got an offer of £18 so couldn't resist that!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACADEMY-12487-PBY-5A-Black-Catalina-1-72-PLASTIC-MODEL-KIT/324489389579?epid=1305150853&hash=item4b8d13260b:g:PAIAAOSwKX1gGVxo

Davey.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Heating ducts for deicing for USN  cold weather operations in Alaska and the Atlantic.  They were eventually removed in the SWPA as being an un needed piece of kit. I can find my Catalina book if needed but this should help. 

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/70140/pby-5a-exhaust-modification

I didn't use them on my Aussie Black cat. 

What Dennis said!

Chris

• Sad 1

Anyway,..... intercoolers,.....heating ducts,..... long air intake covers,...... whatever,.... I`m not using the flipping things anyway!

Back to the plastic,...... here is another update,..... water colour wash applied;

DSCF9928.jpg

And then after a bit of weathering;

DSCF9929-NEW.jpg

DSCF9930-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

• tonyot changed the title to For Andy,.... 1/72nd Academy Catalina, RNZAF ***FINISHED***
7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done I do like the Aussie cat’s they are such good looking schemes. 

Thanks mate,.... this is a Kiwi Cat,.... but I know what you mean!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Doh’ :doh: ... I feel like an Idjit now. 

Well you shouldn`t,.... easy mistake mate! 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent result Tony, a fantastic looking Cat and a fitting tribute to Andy.

Very well done.

Thanks mate on both counts,..... means a lot,...ta.

• Like 1