BMW E9 3.5CSL Group 5 Batmobile 1976 1/12

19 hours ago, Coors54 said:

They're supposed to look race worn but I'm beginning to regret stripping the chrome now.

How so? They look like what you want tot portrait. Worn and used.

• Like 1

Well obviously the wheels look better than I think! Thank you all for the input.

I felt that it all looked a bit dark (not helped by my shocking photograph of the whole car) and the wheels were nicely shiny at the start of each race! So I thought maybe it would perk things up.

Anyway I have just received my decal sheet from Taylormade Decals in Germany and it looks great :penguin:so hopefully the M Sport stripes and sponsor logo's will satisfy my lust for colour!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a decalfest at Coors Towers for the last couple of weeks, interrupted by home working (how very dare they?) and domestic life but my wish for some colour on the green machine has been answered.

As I mentioned earlier I have been working with Frank from Taylormade Decals in Germany https://tailormadedecals.webshopapp.com/de/decals/auto/ to correct his sheet for this car which looked as though it was a scaled up version for a much smaller model and didn't fit very well and was also deficient in detail in many areas for a large scale model. Taylormade do their sheets in several scales.

Long story short the new sheet is superb, very complete, even down to the clips holding the screens in place and BMW roundels. The sheet was originally intended for the car as it appeared at Le Mans in 76, but Frank has now included the race numbers and sponsor emblems for the Silverstone 6 Hours and Nurburgring races so it has variety and it's good value for money, I hasten to add that I have NO financial interest here only being a very satisfied customer.

The decal set has two sheets, one in colour

eb4f1605-7684-4f57-8ed6-9cb62da62800.jpg

and the same again but in silver to provide a solid backing for the colour, so you do have to do the job twice! 

5b9c8b17-3693-4832-be5e-8d0d589bb087.jpg

The sheet is also in one piece so each item has to be cut out and trimmed close, hence why it's been a fest!

Anyway more pics,

18cb19ca-52ad-4029-ba33-07052f763e5e.jpg

de1ddb12-cfc0-41d9-acbc-1f998d3ecd1b.jpg

cc1dab36-2978-4b47-a820-50b4c1460b8d.jpg

Decalling has thrown up a problem that I was vaguely aware of in that the rear arch extensions are wrong for this car, I knew they were a tad narrow but the angle of the front inlet is too acute which leaves the panel in front of the rear wheel too narrow. This means the race number on the sheet is the right height but too wide.

8fa3ca44-0b99-4c0d-9fb8-5961db75579d.jpg

7a082e3c-432a-4149-b686-6d4980223b3b.jpg

This wouldn't have been a huge job to correct at the start of the project but I'm too far in now so I'm going to have to compromise and make a smaller 2, Shame it's not a regular font......

6932805b-9d04-44a7-858e-cbf05dcc0881.jpg

66a6e377-79ff-49f3-84f1-dba1597ef4b3.jpg

Anyway next stop clear coat, detailing and windows, nearing the home straight now.

Dave

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

It's been a long time since I updated this thread, principally because I had the usual (well for me anyway) problem of the clear coat reacting with the paint, particularly on the roof -

fbd66fb5-edc5-44e3-a423-a3b2fe0ca11b.jpg

So a deal of time was spent throwing things at the wall and finding the cat so I could kick him....

Anyway after a couple of days I returned to the bench and decided that I could mask off the areas that weren't affected (mainly the decalled striping), repaint and re clear with something a bit less aggressive than the Mr Color clear I used. Long story short, I was fairly successful and found that Rustoleum gloss clear from Homebase didn't react with the paint I was using.

There were many other problems along the way, the window set was a lot more damaged than I remembered from when I stripped the model and no amount of sanding and polishing would eliminate the superglue marks entirely. The body to chassis fit wasn't great and I didn't pay enough attention to the fit of the doors. There were other disasters and the darn thing fought me all the way.  Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the finished item, 

e348cd46-f690-465e-9d0b-f70cbd5e42c5.jpg

0c008b39-0cef-40a0-8bb8-92d082db2b5f.jpg

I'll put some others up on an RFI.

Dave

Edited by Coors54
  • Like 2

Nice job!

We all have models that fight us all the way to the finish line. (I have a number of DNFs!)

In some perverse way, these are the kits we tend to be the proudest of, because of the fight they put up.

Well saved!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1