Another one restarting after a 50 Year hiatus

John McNamara

Hi all,

John from Leeds here. I was about 17 or 18 when I last completed a plastic model. I think I made close to 200 1:72 scale models in my teens. I am 67 now and technically retired (but I run a small online company). I did not stop modelling, I just migrated to radio contolled ones. I have been doing that for over 50 years. Currently I am close to completing a 1:4.5 scale F4U1 Corsair. It's a fully moulded model, but unusually there is absolutely no moulded in detail. Extensive research brought up lots of scale drawings, many of which conflict with each other. So, brainwave. Why not build a plastic kit to use as an "Aide du la Visualisation". So I am working on a Tamiya 1:32 scale model, and what a model! Its amazing! Boy have things come on in half a century.  Since I am awaiting some HGW seat belts I thought I would build an AMK 1:48 scale Fouga Magister. This will serve the same pupose for anothe RC project next year.

I had forgotten how much fun this part of the hobby is. Looking forward to learning new things.

John

• Like 5

Welcome and I certainly approve of your choices. The Corsair is a favourite of mine and the Fouga Magister another. 

You can of course also show off your flying models in R/C section here. 

Edited by noelh

Thank you for your welcome guys! Si Thee, Timn, fellow Yorkie. Noelh, There's an RC section on this forum? Who knew? I will try and post some pictues of some of my RC scale, models when I read up on how to do that.

Cheers

John

3 hours ago, noelh said:

Welcome and I certainly approve of your choices. The Corsair is a favourite of mine and the Fouga Magister another. 

Edited by John McNamara

y4m7JT6srB8HfNL8lwRexIXJBOtTeF3zY_rVVk4N

That is me with my as yet unflown 1:4.5 scale Hawk. There is a small fuel leak to trace and resolve, then I just need the stars to align so that I get on the airfield, out of lockdown and fair winds. There is still some scale detail to add. For the Eagle eyed, what is mssing guys?

John

• Like 3

13 hours ago, John McNamara said:

For the Eagle eyed, what is mssing guys?

A co-pilot? Air sickness stains on the windshield?

Gidday John, that's a decent sized model plane - to me, anyway. Welcome aboard. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

A co-pilot? Air sickness stains on the windshield?

Gidday John, that's a decent sized model plane - to me, anyway. Welcome aboard. Regards, Jeff.

AhAh! Gidday Arnold. Typical Oz humor 🤣. Naw, the Reds generally fly alone at shows. In training there may be another recruit in the back seat, but more often they will give one of the blues a ride. They must have reinforced stomachs to fly the routines they do.

Anyway, No Worries!

John

• Like 1

19 hours ago, noelh said:

https://carf-models.com/en/products/f4u-1d-corsair  This is the big Corsair that will I hope be finished next year.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/60325/index.htm  This is the Tamiya kit that I am building. Just awaiting seat belts from CZ.

I plan to do both in the same colour scheme, 1944 RNAZ.Dirty, war weary and grimy.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its quite a bit of fun, particularly the South Side Irish parade and festival. If youre ever out this way say hello. 

I would love to do that Denis. Its on the bucket list. Perhaps if we went back to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras, athen travelled around we could end up in Chicago for Sr Patricks Day. Hmm, bit of a plan forming there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timn said:

I went to Elvington a few years back and they were flying big scale aircraft. Same day we had XH558 Vulcan do several flypasts

Hi Tim,

That will have been the LMA (Large Model Association) annual event. I am a member of the LMA and that Hawk is pictured on the pan at Elvington. It is also registered on the LMA certification scheme. It weighs just over 20Kgs so has to go through the scheme.

John

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A set of golf clubs strapped to the back seat? It's been done, believe me. Welcome, John. That's a nice looking Red.

Now that's a thought Pete. The canopy hinges open so I could add a set of clubs. I suspect a crate of whiskey may have also occupied that seat too!? 😄

John

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Det cord on the canopy? 

That and its eight team mates 😊

IanJ 

Look closer Ian, the Det cord is there. I'll tell you at this point. I have yet to add stall strips to the leading edge, and the  various UHF antenae are now made but not in this shot. There are two small triangular gadgets, one above the nose and one below it that I still have to make, as well as the pitot head. I will fly it before I do that and get all the shakedown tests done. Then I will add the final details.

John

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Two or three years ago, when they closed the canopy, the clubs tripped the det cord!

Oops! No one hurt I hope?

When I was a snotty little space cadet, I was at West Raynham. A Canberra landed and taxied in, to be met by the snowdrops and a couple of customes officers.  Boy were they in trouble. They had filled every nook and cranny with Mataxa apparently. Came out of Cyprus I think.

John

Fairly standard practice. They were called 'Navigation exercises'. Sometimes you win, sometimes customs get you.

Squadron booze ups needed to be cheap! Those were the days. Work hard and play hard.

On the OCU, (early 80's) Friday lunchtime was down the pub, providing everything was serviceable!