MiG-37 SMT 1:72 - WHIF

I mentioned this model in another post and I didn't want to thread-jack an interesting build so I thought I'd post it here.

It's from a group build I did a couple years ago using the old 80's Italeri kit which I lengthened and modified. The original kit had two very small weapons bays, I wanted to give a it a more realistic internal payload which is why I lengthened it. My second goal was to make it look more "stealthy", as these kits were made before stealth aircraft where known to the public.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 46

18 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

How did you modify especially wheel bays and doors?

Serkan

I stretched the bottom fuselage of the kit, smoothed it out and used that as a mold for vacuforming. I scratch built the wheel wells and weapons bays with strip and sheet styrene as well as some Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

spacer.png

Edited by jalles
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:33 AM, jalles said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Me really liked Your model.

The only addition about the fin number.

The appearance of the fin numbers in the Soviet Air Force is due to the fact that the flight boss did not see the nose number of the planes on the airfield tower and could not properly coordinate their work when they were in those perspectives that I brought in the photo.  Therefore, in the Soviet Union, to facilitate the work of the flight boss at the airfield, fin numbers were introduced, which were usually applied at the top of the fin. But even such small numbers were inconvenient, therefore on sharkteeth MiG-29 out of 120 IAPs had large numbers on the inside of the fin.

What does this have to do with your model?  

Unfortunately, the fin number printed below is not readable in the above views, given the significant inclination of the fin inward, if Your MiG-37B  (or true MiG-37M or MiG-37bis? ) existed in reality, it would have a number on the top of the fin on the inside, for the reasons that I indicated above.

But, repeat, Me really liked Your model.

B.R.

Serge

7 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Unfortunately, the fin number printed below is not readable in the above views, given the significant inclination of the fin inward, if Your MiG-37B  (or true MiG-37M or MiG-37bis? ) existed in reality, it would have a number on the top of the fin on the inside, for the reasons that I indicated above.

Thanks for detailed explanation Serge,

I will keep this valuable information in mind during my "Super Ferret" build. 😁

What would be your proposal to name such heavily modified model?

Serkan

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aardvark said:

😂 That's very true! The funny thing is I just read Yefim Gordon's book on the MiG-29/35 where he mentions what you're talking about. Had I know earlier, maybe I would have put them on the inside of the verticalish stabilizers. Although I think one of my other considerations was having the decals contrast enough with the paint that they could be seen so I put them on the lighter color.

Thanks for the information Serge! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks for detailed explanation Serge,

20 minutes ago, jalles said:

Thanks for the information Serge! 

Always at your service!  Believe me, for my part, I try not to make unfounded statements.

23 minutes ago, jalles said:

That's very true! The funny thing is I just read Yefim Gordon's book on the MiG-29/35 where he mentions what you're talking about.

I don’t know where Gordon got it from, but I read about it in an article about the sharkteeth MiG-29 120 IAP published in the Russian magazine for modelers

"M-hobby".

55 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

What would be your proposal to name such heavily modified model?

I don’t know, but when you start the topic of building, maybe we will come up with something together!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

On 6/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, Aardvark said:

I don’t know, but when you start the topic of building, maybe we will come up with something together! 😉😁

I have launched new thread here. It is waiting for your suggestion 🙂

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This is such a beautiful conversion , I have just found it !   I did a similar one a few months ago , but didn't alter the length . this truly makes a difference to the look of the plane . To me the balance looked all tail heavy on the original so I moved the wings back , chopped the tail section and added canards . It is the second most popular pane on my channel   " fred Ted Stedman"  youTube  Mig 37B FERRET F  what if ?        I think you did a better job 

Great job, :yes: but there was no such plane in nature. :shrug:This is fantasy ITALERI company.)

Edited by IGKent