Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jalles

Members
  • Content Count

    12
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

63 Good

About jalles

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Oregon, USA

Recent Profile Visitors

110 profile views
  1. jalles

    F-42B Tempest II

    Those masks look good,I'm excited to hear how they work out for you. I love my silhouette, definitely one of the best investments I've made for model making. Yeah, the tape isn't that thick, but it's just enough to use as a guide and it works well on curved surfaces. All those lines are in fact engraved. I have a tool that looks a bit like a dental pick, it works quite well for engraving panel lines. I have to say, I'm glad you like them, they were a pain in the butt for sure. I don't have much in the way of tips, just go slow and lots of practice I guess.
  2. jalles

    F-42B Tempest II

    Ah, good question. I create patterns in Adobe Illustrator and then I use a craft cutter to cut out templates onto vinyl tape. This is the cutter I have https://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-America-Portrait-2/dp/B009GZUPFA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541775326&sr=8-4&keywords=silhouette+portrait And this is the tape I use https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-Vinyl-Tape/dp/B001HTAARG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1541775401&sr=8-18&keywords=3m+vinyl+tape Honestly I'm not sure I'd bother without this combination, too tedious and the results probably wouldn't be as good as I'd like. I do a fair bit of kit bashing and scratch building stealth aircraft, and those zig-zag panel lines always cause me fits. This way the amount of effort to do it is at least acceptable. Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers, Jason
  3. jalles

    F-42B Tempest II

    You know, I really didn't do anything special, just sanded the vacuform top and bottom where they mate. I also 3D printed some filler parts for the wings which helped. There is some slight wobble that the images don't show. Your spring steel wire idea is ingenious, I'll have to file that one away for the future. Here are couple more pictures: Using apoxie sculpt to finish off the interior of the exhaust. More apoxie sculpt and styrene for the top/interior of the exhaust. I didn't spend too much time on these parts as they're pretty hard to see. Here's the start of the gear and weapons bays. Plotting out where the above bays will go. Bays cut out. Finally, primed before panel line scribing. Ha, ha! Unfortunately I ruined the molds during vacuforming. Plastic molds aren't that durable If you'd like the CAD files, I'd be happy to send them your way. I had these parts printed by a third party.
  4. jalles

    F-42B Tempest II

    Hey Rob, I'd be happy to show you. Here is the raw 3D print. As you can see it has the rough, terraced look of most FDM prints. I bought some heavy filler primer in a spray can, and after spraying the mold, sanding, and repeating I was left with a nice smooth mold. Here's the bottom mold, the intakes were separate pieces. Here are the all the pieces after vacuforming. I cheat and do the top in clear, that way I don't have to worry about incorporating the canopy. Working with clear is difficult since you can't really see where imperfections may be, so I primed the top and protected the canopy area with tape. I didn't put the DSI bumps for the inlets in the CAD file for 3D printing so I had to add them after. Here are the inlets being blended in. I think that's most of the pictures I have of the molds and vacuformed parts. I have a few more work in progress pictures if you're interested. Cheers, Jason
  5. jalles

    F-42B Tempest II

    Glad you like it It's 1/72
  6. jalles

    F-42B Tempest II

    Thanks guys, glad you like it
  7. jalles

    F-42B Tempest II

    I created this for a group build on another site. It's supposed to be a 6th Generation fighter to replace the Typhoon. It's scratch built (3D printed molds and then vacu-formed) if that still counts as scratch built these days. BAE came out with a Tempest concept not long ago, unfortunately I was already building this at the time, if I had started a little later, it may have looked more like the BAE concept. I hope you like it.
  8. That's great. I love the splinter camouflage. Is there a divertless intake lurking under there as well?
  9. This is looking awesome, I can't wait to see it all together.
  10. Hey, don't look at me, blame the Russians. You're right though, it probably would have looked pretty nice with a blue belly.
  11. Thanks for the kind words guys! In regards to how it was made, it's a collection of kit and scratch built parts. The base is Testors old 1/48 F-19. I cut the back off and scratch built the exhausts from sheet styrene and lots of filler. I reshaped the nose with more styrene and filler. The wings are from an old Dragon YF-22. I don't even remember buying one, but I found the wings in my spare parts bin. The vertical stabilizers are from a Dragon YF-23. The cockpit is from a 1/72 F-15E. I scratch built the weapons bay and front landing gear bay with sheet styrene. The air intake is vacuformed from a mold I made from, you guessed it, more filler and sheet styrene! The landing gear are from a 1/72 Italeri SU-34. The hardest part was trying to get all of the pieces to blend in with each other.
  12. I've been working on this for a little over a year and I finally finished it, yeah! Of course it didn't turn out quite as I wanted it, but at least it's finally finished. Essentially it's a hypothetical replacement for the Su-34, maybe something that would enter service in the 2030-40 time frame. Thoughts and critique are welcome. Jason
×
×
  • Create New...