1/48 Typhoon to Tempest using Hobbycraft Fury

yeehah1

06 05 2020

Hi everybody,

This is a bit of a long shot but I saw or read somewhere here in a different conversation that it was possible to convert a 1/48 Typhoon into a Tempest using a fair amount of the Hobbycraft Fury (same wings I think??).

I think I saw this on Britmodeller. Can anyone point me in the direction of that topic or to where someone might have attempted it? I'm not sure what mark of Tempest they were trying to make but it sounded interesting.

Thanks in advance

Liam

“Jack up windscreen, insert new aeroplane.” springs to mind.  Although it’s possible the question nowadays has to be “why?” when Eduard have released two versions of the Tempest V in the not-too-distant past.  OK they haven’t yet announced kits of the Tempest II or VI, but I suspect they’ll announce those before much longer.  If you can’t wait for that maybe combining an Eduard Tempest with the Hobbycraft Sea Fury could produce a Mk. II or VI could be made to work but the Typhoon probably wouldn’t yield much of use.

• Like 2

06 05 2020

@ stever I think that was the point of the conversation. If you marry the wings, tailplane and other bits of the Fury to the Tempest you get either a Mk. II or a mark VI. I'm not sure which.

Was hoping for clarification. Thanks though :)

Liam I’ve not seen that conversion article, but if you were to use a bubble-top Typhoon fuselage with the Hobbycraft wings complete with oil cooler and carburettor(?) air intake married to a wider centre section you could produce something approximating to a Mk. VI.  

Replacing the Sabre engine from the Typhoon kit with the Sea Fury’s Centaurus and swapping the wing root intakes around could get you close to a Mk. II, coupled with the modifications referred to above.  I’m not sure how much commonality there is between the Tempest and Sea Fury tailplane but be prepared for some work there.

If your starting point includes a Tempest kit you only really need the Sea Fury’s wing root intakes for a Tempest VI but for the Mk. II you’ll need the Sea Fury engine also, and to widen the front fuselage between cockpit and cowling so you don’t have huge openings at the back of the cowling.  I’ve an idea that you’d need to crop the Tempest V (or Typhoon) propellor to suit the Mk. II.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

Hello Liam

It is possible but, as Steve and Christer A indicated, hardly worth trying. One could turn Sea Fury into Tempest Mk.II, but that would require to extend wings, relocate radiator from right wing to the left, replace vertical tail, replace five bladed propeller with the four bladed one ... and probably plenty more. Cheers

Jure

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

“Jack up windscreen, insert new aeroplane.” springs to mind.  Although it’s possible the question nowadays has to be “why?” when Eduard have released two versions of the Tempest V in the not-too-distant past.  OK they haven’t yet announced kits of the Tempest II or VI, but I suspect they’ll announce those before much longer.  If you can’t wait for that maybe combining an Eduard Tempest with the Hobbycraft Sea Fury could produce a Mk. II or VI could be made to work but the Typhoon probably wouldn’t yield much of use.

The Eduard Tempest II and VI were mentioned by them a long time ago before the Mk.I even came out.The Mk.II was official announced back in January 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The Eduard Tempest II and VI were mentioned by them a long time ago before the Mk.I even came out and the II official announced back in January 

Thanks for that, I must have missed it in all the post-festive meh-ness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

OK they haven’t yet announced kits of the Tempest II or VI, but I suspect they’ll announce those before much longer.

I know that they are doing a Tempest II but would they bother with a VI?

After all, they haven't done a Spitfire VII, X or XI. 

Even if Eduard never do a Mk VI then surely the easiest way to make one would be to cross-kit their V fuselage with their II wings (once it's released). Especially since you can buy overtrees from them that just contain the plastic parts which would make it relatively cheap. There may be some work inside the radiator and blending the wing/fuselage joint but it would seem far easier than merging two very different kits from different manufactures.

Stuart

I think that we would have seen the other Spitfires by now.

With regard to the Tempest VI, I may as well hang on to my MDC set and buy another Tempest V to convert - it should fit OK.

I am definitely waiting for their Tempest II though!

Has anyone thought of doing conversions for the Tempest I, III and IV?

I have the 1/72 Tempest Mk.I conversion.  The Mk.III and IV were cancelled when the Griffons were required for Spitfires, the prototype Mk.III being finished as  the second Fury prototype.  I presume that you could look at that aircraft and presume what the missing Tempests would have looked like.

I think the thread has agreed that trying to do this conversion is pointless in view of the kits now available, but there seemed to be some misconceptions on the topic as I understand it, so, to maybe clear them up for me or any residual masochists...... Typhoon & Tempest rear fuselage is the same length, Tempest is longer in front of cockpit to accommodate fuel capacity lost to thinner wings, so a Typhoon fuselage could be adapted by creating the fin extension & lengthening the forward fuselage. Radiator is the same AFAIK. Sea Fury wings are smaller span but this is lost in the centre section, so SF outer wings joined onto fabricated centre section would work, albeit quite a lot of work. ;) The Tempest II & VI had the same arrangement of oil cooler radiator & carb air intakes, this is how Matchbox was able to use optional engines to create either in their kit. To build a Tempest V from above, these would need to be deleted, the Typhoon nose would be correct. For a Tempest Ii or VI, the oil rad would need swapping to the other side on the Sea Fury wings with appropriate engine mods/substitutions. You'd also need a later Typhoon with 4 bladed prop & Tempest type tail planes. Doable. But why would you? :unsure:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 07/05/2020 at 09:32, Stuart Wilson said:

Especially since you can buy overtrees from them that just contain the plastic parts which would make it relatively cheap.

unless they have revised their shipping, not in the UK.   It as cheap to source the weekend editions here. 

On 06/05/2020 at 23:18, Welkin said:

they haven't done a Spitfire VII, X or XI.

the VII is possible, as it "just" needs a new fuselage, canopy and some interior bits.

The PR XI would be an entire new set of wings and fuselage, plus cockpit bits...  but....given that they are doing the Mk I/II/V, a PR bowser wing might happen...I'm never sure of their mould economics (as in they did 5 separate wings mouldings for the Merlin 60's so far) 

But, they still have not done a MiG-21F-13....and they were built in Czechoslovakia.... despite doing the 2nd, 3rd and the gen MiG -21s...