Etendard ivp

Hewy

@Pappy  after some persistant internet browsing there are hints of the gun trough on a few, but on many they seem to be completley blanked off, a little remedial work to occupy me is in order , 

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy

Not much done today, a bit more painting on the etendard,  thanks to @Pappy for making me search a little more vigorously about the gun troughs being paneled over on the ivp ,  so I've filled the gun troughs with some sprue,  this will go off properly by tommorow so i can add as little filler as i can,   the top half is finished and glossed and ready for decals , the painting style might not be to everyone's taste , i think it has promise after a wash, and flat coat with a drop of  grey , (I've broken the refueling probe off twice, now its  drilled wired and super glued , I'll  add a smudge of filler at the end now just in case.

todays instalment 

Utw1LDh.jpg

ty1p4xT.jpg

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I’ve got a SuE in the stash

Thanks dan glad you like it ,hope your staying safe ,a couple of things i noticed on others builds the darker grey is nearly always too light after a weather  ,the decals that go over this colour may not be seen if it go's light, after some research i went with tamiya field blue xf50 and came down from that ,looking at weathered service jets it don't  look too bad ,what kit is your sue kinetic or the kittyhawk?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm super impressed by that freehand paintwork :goodjob:

Cheers

Cliff ,thanks  i appreciate it, although  it is 1/48 ,not your usual atomic scale, so i do have  a scale advantage  😁( although i have practiced of late with some 72nd scale stuff)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Wow!

What is that?

Quick buikd marathon?!!!!?

Great result :)

Hats off!

😁 hello werner, it has been a quick one up to yet i admit, its the kittyhawk kit that has gone together quite well ,test fitting is essential if you waht to save details, all oob apart from  the pull loops on top of the kit ejection seat, which i used from my super etendard xtras of th same make, and I'm  going to use drop tanks from a mirage iiic boxing which  look very similar but are maybe 650 ltrs tanks rather than the 600 that would normaly be used, I'm  not 100% on that though ,thanks ,glad you like it so far👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Superb paint job Glynn, she looks excellent.

How you manage to get such a great result freehand I will never know.

I think your choice of colours is spot on and the weathered look you have achieved is very realistic, well done mate.

Thanks craig ,  it'll  change during the next couple of days I'm sure, im pleased to know you approve so far, (cheap Chinese  airbrush £19)

• Like 1

I’ve been neglecting this GB for a week or so (will be back with another build soon) and so much has happened! Etendard looks fantastic, really great work with the airbrush.

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

I’ve been neglecting this GB for a week or so (will be back with another build soon) and so much has happened! Etendard looks fantastic, really great work with the airbrush.

Hello Z ,I've had  too much time mate,  thanks 👍

• Like 1

Amazing work, and that camo, freehand? That's incredible. You've clearly mastered your airbrush (£19??) and are blessed with a steady hand. And am I right in thinking you've used acrylic paints? I'd love not to have to faff about with blu-tac for camo. I'll definitely check back to see how the decals and final touches go!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Filler said:

Amazing work, and that camo, freehand? That's incredible. You've clearly mastered your airbrush (£19??) and are blessed with a steady hand. And am I right in thinking you've used acrylic paints? I'd love not to have to faff about with blu-tac for camo. I'll definitely check back to see how the decals and final touches go!

Cheers  for that ,i dont know about mastering it though, i hate all that masking too,  but some camos need a hard line that obviously can't be done freehand, and with some colours its difficult ,nigh on impossible  to freehand with  I've used mr hobby 337 for the lightest grey and tamiya xf50 for the darker both lightened to various degrees, and these sprayed very well , some colours don't,  even from the same company  have the same spraying capabilities,   tamiyas xf2 springs to mind ,very chalky and bitty , luckily these two colours went down very well, i always use mr hobby laquer thinners (and a respirator, window open) and i learnt how to do it from airbrush tutorials on the tinternet (airbrush art, not modelling),  yes it was £19  you can get avery reasonable 0.2  airbrush (used for this) and 0.3 ,needles and nozzles  kit for that, ,

Hope i haven't bored you to death 👍😁

• Like 2

Not bored in the least. I love to hear more about the techniques, tools and other products used and it's always a massive bonus to read what paints were used. It's always appreciated by me as I'm always eager to learn from others.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully, i can get the decals on and finish this by sunday, here it is  dark dirt washed and glossed ready for decals  ,glossed on the bottom too  but no wash yet, due to the cannon port area having to be repainted  after being filled and sanded  , all the other bits have been done, just some tiny aerials to add after ,tanks are done too 

KyfC4ny.jpg

U13FoCJ.jpg

Cheers all

Glynn

• Like 11

Sorry 😜

I think you would have been annoyed if you hadn't corrected the gun troughs.  Truly a stunning piece or work

crack on!

Pappy

• Thanks 1

Very interesting to see your build of the Kittyhawk Etendard IVP - I have one in the stash and will probably start it after I finish my Kinetic Super Etendard SEM

CJP

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CJP said:

Very interesting to see your build of the Kittyhawk Etendard IVP - I have one in the stash and will probably start it after I finish my Kinetic Super Etendard SEM

CJP

Hello  cjp ,i look forward to seeing your super banner , I'm  being held up a bit now on mine because the aeronaval roundel decals are misaligned  with a quarter moon of white showing and the anchor more to the white side than the red,   i didn't notice too much until i put one on the darker grey and it stuck out like a sore thumb ,arrrgh, most of the other decals are on though,  they're a bit on the thick side but they stick down well, I've ordered some roundels off the net after checking a couple of stash kits , in my other kittyhawk etendard the sue , same one your building  ,the decals are off too ,so have a look before you get to that bit , my only other modern french naval jet , the revell  raphael m , only had low vis roundels in the kit ,so I'm waiting for a delivery

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks Hewy - I checked my Kinetic Super Etendard kit decals and mine look to be in register but the light grey numbers and MARINE lettering for the two greys camouflage scheme are too  dark as has been mentioned elsewhere - as a result I was able to get Berna Decals sheet 48-47 which has better colouring of the light grey numbers/lettering to go over the dark grey FS36118 colour - thanks for the heads up

CJP

Edited by CJP
text

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Hewy - after reading your build I pulled my Kitty Hawk Etendard out of the stash and will do it as an IVP too - I have just started putting it together and found your post (and Pappys) very useful pointing out things like the need to delete the 4 camera windows on the bottom of the fuselage and also the gun troughs - did you find you needed to put any weight in the nose as I don't see any reference to it in the instructions? 

I found a couple of photos that seem to confirm the deletion of the gun troughs - the first one I pulled from a magazine decades ago and  the other I found on the internet

IMG-0207-1-IVP.jpg

ETENDARD4-P-163.jpg

CJP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello cj, yes weight the nose theres plenty of space,  not to much that front gear leg is very wobbly ,because my decals were rubbish i ordered a set of aeronavale roundels off the net, after waiting around a month they never showed up, so i was refunded , i since got hold of some others but they have the  thin yellow outer of the  earlier blue scheme ,I'm  going to try and weather them in to disguise them , unfortunately it is what it is now, here it is moved back up to the front of the queue  for its final weathering, also the kit instructions dont tell you ,there are the 4 styrene window blanking panels on one of the sprues i remenber fining after i glued the clear parts in, these might be a better fit

Lo3TdOS.jpg

• Like 3

Ok Hewy thanks my inclination was to put a bit of weight in the nose - I do have some spare 9mm roundels with separate anchors and blue centres off a Berna decals sheet if you want them (no yellow surround) - not sure how fast airmail is these days to get from Australia to UK

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CJP said:

not sure how fast airmail is these days to get from Australia to UK

CJP

Thanks cj but unfortunately in my petulance I've given it a light flat coat hoping to disguise  it,  i think the ship has sailed,

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CJP said:

not sure how fast airmail is these days to get from Australia to UK

About a month at the moment! I sent two things to the UK on 23 March, they both got there a little over a week ago.

• Like 2