SAS Sud Aviation SE210 Caravelle III - #FINISHED#

nimrod54

I came across this Airfix Caravelle whilst looking for something else a couple of days ago and thought that, with some Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) decals, it would be a nice subject for this group build. I have ordered a set of window and cockpit decals from Authenic Airliner Decals and this morning I placed an order with 26Decals for the SAS set. 

Being an early boxing of the kit, the box is priced at 3/6d making it pre-decimalisation, the parts are crisply moulded in silver plastic. It also has the original tube glue supplied with the boxed Airfix kits of the time and whilst the tube has collapsed slightly its contents remain in a viscose state. Here are the box and contents shots, and with HMS Ajax near to being completed I hope to make a start on one of my builds soon.

49424111018_67748f882a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49424155433_b6fa1bd6a8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49424803107_e577ba2d1e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

...I always love a Caravelle...

Me too Steve. Air France versions were regular spots for me at Ringway. I had a chuckle when I read the Airfix description of the Air France operated service between Manchester and Paris, and I quote  'linking the industrial North with Paris', definitely a product of its time. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

welcome along John, and what an interesting build as well.

That does look to be a early Airfix model and it even come with glue........or now the weird blob like thing.

I'm interested to see the scheme you have for her.

Well good luck with her and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Hi John

I worked many years (24 to be exact) for SAS but by the time I joined in 1985 the Carevelle had already been phased out. There were one however, OY-KRD “Ulf Viking”, which had been ‘dumped’ at Copenhagen airport southern end for the fire brigade to practise on. 

If you are thinking of doing a well weathered model, these photos might servere as a reference 🙂

e93cbe410b7b295b27689c6043573618.jpg

373aafc578cbd1a8b6f0b55c24998e17.jpg

032f40766e0271d59b5c8639dc12b371.jpg

(apologies for the poor quality)

Luckily she was saved and can now be seen fully restored at the Danish Technical Museum in Helsingør north of Copenhagen. 

Looking forward to see how your ‘fully restored’ Airfix Caravelle will come together! 

• Like 3

Hi @desert falcon

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos of the 'fire damaged' SAS bird. It is good to know that this stylish looking aircraft was salvaged, and now has a second lease of life on display in the Danish Teknik Museum.

I don't think that my model will be weathered as much as that shown in your photos, but after looking at pictures of the Caravelle they all seem suffer from dark areas under the triangular windows, so that is something to keep in mind should I decide to portray a less than pristine aircraft.

Cheers again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Because of my plan to attach the upper wing to a Fairey Seafox this week, I didn't want to get too involved with the Draken build, so I took the decision to make a start on my last entry for this group build. After fixing the windows in place, I glued the fuselage halves together and then added filler to the exterior of the windows, doors and a couple of sink marks where the inner bulkheads fit, and along the joins where necessary. There will be a further round(s) of filling and sanding of the windows required before I can get the wings on and start to neaten those joins up.

49655712202_bbe37eaa0e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49655432546_259aec1f77_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

What a lovely kit John, you will have the collectors squirming, that heaven forbid a model of that era gets built rather than looked at in the box !

Their loss is our gain. 

The aftermarket decals are also a real bonus.

Good luck with this one.

cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

What a lovely kit John, you will have the collectors squirming, that heaven forbid a model of that era gets built rather than looked at in the box !

Cheers Pat. I don't know about you bud, but I buy kits to build 'em. I won't pay silly money for older kits, but I felt that this one was a good price and being an early kit there is virtually no flash on the parts - the only bit that I have found up to now was on one of the clear parts. 

I learnt a valuable lesson several years ago when I was on a bit of a modelling nostalgia trip. I wanted to have another go at building the Airfix Vanguard and paid £25 for a Red Line boxing, only to have the manufacturer re-release the kit about 3months later priced at £11. :doh: Nostalgia isn't cheap, so never again! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

great to see she's progressing John.

I'm with you on the building thing, models are/were meant to be built not collected (he says looking at the stash!!!). I have no problems in building or even modifying a really rare model to build something I want.

My problem is that I buy more than I build and that I have expensive tastes! :wall:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

great to see she's progressing John.

I'm with you on the building thing, models are/were meant to be built not collected (he says looking at the stash!!!). I have no problems in building or even modifying a really rare model to build something I want.

My problem is that I buy more than I build and that I have expensive tastes! :wall:

Was about to say you're in good company here with us but perhaps bad company may be more accurate :innocent:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this started  Kits should be built even if the wait in the stash may be years . Formula like this Buy rate greater than build rate equals ever growing stash . Looking forward to this Viking  in the gallery 

Martin H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a further filling and sanding session today, I primed the fuselage. There are a couple of windows that will require some further work and then I can look to start painting. I have also checked out the wing fit and it is pretty good, so I'll tidy those up then fit them.

49738806388_fa3fde1491_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49738806083_17c56eed9b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49738806453_959cac1541_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49738806223_e1c4818dfb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Col. said:

Glad to see you're still working on this one John :) 

It's been on the back burner for a short while Col, but having had a letter confining me to barracks for the next 12 weeks, means I should be able to push on with my builds. Every cloud has a silver lining. :)

• Haha 2

for a model of that age I'd say the fit isn't too bad, at least you don't have to worry too much about the detail.

I'm with you on the wheel wells...no one will ever look underneath.......

getting ever closer to painting time, well be nice to see some colours on her.

• Like 1