They Also Serve 2020 Chat

22 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Or perhaps those who suggested the GBs and had volunteered to moderate them if they got through the bum fight could be roped in as well? 5 or 6 extra mods would not go astray for such a long running GB. 

No problem with this in principle from my side, as long as duties and responsibilities are clear... with such an unusual and wide ranging GB, hosting is likely not going to be the same as with a "normal" GB.

• Like 1

I don't forsee any real need to moderate this one.  It's simply a forum.  It would be nice if the relevant GB sponsors popped in every now and again, but it's not absolutely necessary.  I will be doing any moderation that is needed. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ok, it’s a new day and I’m on holidays so perhaps I’m getting a bit silly close to Christmas.

I’m happy to dip my toe in, however don’t want to get the whole body wet, if you know what I mean! I’ve just offered to help Wez out with the Classic Heller GB, however that doesn’t start until 18 Oct. It may not be “El Presidente’ Rabbit Leader” but perhaps a lower rank like “Ghenerale” may be a better fit? I would like to think that all the members who nominated these GB suggestions would take on prime host status should they not be fully involved in another GB that made it to official status. 

In summary, I’ll do what I can and think Dennis’ suggestion is a really good one. Let’s all get on board. 

Cheers.. Dave 

you could always take Enzo's old title........‘Senior Rabbit Leader the Magnificent’. :rofl2:

wooohooo a GB without proper "adult" (:rofl2:) supervision, let the rampage, destruction and general silliness began!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, trickyrich said:

wooohooo a GB without proper "adult" (:rofl2:) supervision, let the rampage, destruction and general silliness began!! 

In other words Standard Operating Procedure then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/13/2019 at 7:03 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I don't forsee any real need to moderate this one.  It's simply a forum.  It would be nice if the relevant GB sponsors popped in every now and again, but it's not absolutely necessary.  I will be doing any moderation that is needed. 

Fine with me, I'll keep an eye to see if there's any need for me from those who want to build models related to my proposals.. as the overall feel of the GB is quite relaxed, I can see no problems...

Apart from the fact that it would make sense for me to build something... now that could be a problem 🤣

• Haha 3

T’would be good if the various thread titles here incorporate the original GB titles as previously advised. As an example I’m thinking something along the lines for some of my ‘potential’ entries. 

Small Wars - Southern African Strikers (RRAF Canberra & SAAF Buccaneer)
North American Aviation - B-25, P-51, F-86

Yanks Abroad - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak (Getti Tonanti) 

Anyway, I just fear that these threads may get lost amongst the other 2020 GB builds unless they have something to embellish them a little.... thoughts anyone? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

T’would be good if the various thread titles here incorporate the original GB titles as previously advised. As an example I’m thinking something along the lines for some of my ‘potential’ entries. 

Yes I agree I put mine in the sub-header on my thread for Small-wars and Spanish Civil War. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, vppelt68 said:

I have been trying to get my head round this year-round GB! What it will cover and how it will work, also is it for me? Well...

What a BRILLIANT idea! For someone like me this is a breath of fresh air. Of the seven 'rejected' GB ideas listed I can easily think of a potential build subject in six of them.

My problem with GB's here lies with the timescales. On the face of it the normal two to three months scheduled should be more than adequate however for someone like me it just doesn't work. I tend to have half a dozen or so builds on the go and they work on what I can only describe as 'enthusiasm' which ebbs and wanes over many months depending how I feel. My last completed build, a 1/48 Kitty Hawk 'Sun Run' RF-101C Voodoo, took five months, an Airfix Handley Page Victor B Mk.2 prior to that took exactly one year and six days! They were good builds and I am proud of them however they just could not fit inside the standard Britmodeller GB timescales. The kits I tried to produce in GB's last year - a 1/48 F-86F Sabre and an F-104 Starfighter - both ended up as non-completions and my attempt in this years KUTA didn't even get started! 😧

Yes, there are questions. Of course. How might this work as we near the end of the year? If one of the GB's listed were to be voted in next year could I carry my build forward to that GB? I am sure there will be more questions 😉

So sign me up! 🖕 This could work. I have wanted to start a 1/48th Monogram Sabre F.Mk.4 for a while, I have the decals, I have the kit, I have the enthusiasm, I have a GB that gives me time, I think I have what I need ❤️

And again, what a BRILLIANT idea!

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

My last completed build, a 1/48 Kitty Hawk 'Sun Run' RF-101C Voodoo, took five months, an Airfix Handley Page Victor B Mk.2 prior to that took exactly one year and six days! They were good builds and I am proud of them 

In which case you should post some pictures.  I would love to see them.  The RFI forum is a good place, but please make sure you add a link here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

In which case you should post some pictures.  I would love to see them.  The RFI forum is a good place, but please make sure you add a link here. 

Thanks Enzo, I did put both of them on the RFI forum when completed and was delighted with the feedback. The standard of my scale modelling has definitely improved thanks to the BM forums, still a way to go yet 🖕

Airfix Victor B.Mk2

'Sun Run' Voodoo

Again, this forum will help me to stop feeling like a failure because I never seem to be able to complete a GB within the timescales. Must get that N.A. F-86 Sabre started...

Michael

• Like 1

Ive decided that if I have any extra time I will also be building something for the North American connection. I have a Trumpeter F-107 Ultra Sabre in the stash and it would fit the bill nicely. Just checking some references on the plane and will start a build for it when i have finished the Ju-86. 

• Like 4