1/35 Tamiya Matilda

tracks (link & length done but not without a few fit issues... armoured skirt and top just placed at this time, want to paint the running gear & tracks first. Off to scratch build a fuel can rack for the rear.

49734756011_a834204793_b.jpgIMG_20200404_145637_resized_20200404_032312730 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 7

oohhh may get some painting time over the long weekend... the "office" should be vacated until Tuesday. Primer on running gear, tracks and inside of the skirts and then perhaps the base of the caunter (these are just the base so can be painted and then masked while I finish the rest of the build

1 minute ago, Ernst said:

Another caunter scheme, interesting, I always loved those as well as those malta/rubble schemes. Good luck,

Cheers,

Ernst

i hope it will be... my masking skills will be put to the test but hey, its the only way to learn (and think it will look good loaded on a Scammel painted in portland stone all over)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

i hope it will be... my masking skills will be put to the test but hey, its the only way to learn (and think it will look good loaded on a Scammel painted in portland stone all over)

I understand, masking over acrylics is often a bit tense for me. I usually put some paper under the low lac tape to minimize the surface area subjected to the sticky bits, but practice makes perfect. Caunter scheme is definitely on my bucket list, but I'll need some more practice before that..

• Like 1

Just now, Ernst said:

I understand, masking over acrylics is often a bit tense for me. I usually put some paper under the low lac tape to minimize the surface area subjected to the sticky bits, but practice makes perfect. Caunter scheme is definitely on my bucket list, but I'll need some more practice before that..

thats a good idea - was also only going to mask the edges with tape, the interior with panzer putty which I hope will have less tack

7 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

thats a good idea - was also only going to mask the edges with tape, the interior with panzer putty which I hope will have less tack

I don't have panzer putty yet but I'll buy some tomorrow to test it against silly putty, just to see how long it will stay in one place. I'm not heavy on PE so for the time being there's nothing to worry about. I haven't experienced any problems with paint lift prone brands like vallejo using silly putty. Mig paints were prone to paint lift using tape but remarkably resilient against chemical treatments, my oven cleaner didn't bite it off while tamiya or ak-real colours is much more resilient to physical force, less so to chemical abuse. I'll be watching your progress with interest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ernst said:

I don't have panzer putty yet but I'll buy some tomorrow to test it against silly putty, just to see how long it will stay in one place. I'm not heavy on PE so for the time being there's nothing to worry about. I haven't experienced any problems with paint lift prone brands like vallejo using silly putty. Mig paints were prone to paint lift using tape but remarkably resilient against chemical treatments, my oven cleaner didn't bite it off while tamiya or ak-real colours is much more resilient to physical force, less so to chemical abuse. I'll be watching your progress with interest.

I have the AK Caunter set so hopefully will be good with tape. Need to do the running gear &* tracks then finish the rest of the build before getting to the proper caunter

• Like 1

Be interested to see your Caunter scheme come to life, always looks good when done. In the meantime you've inspired me - I've got a 1/48 one in the post and am unusual Russian scheme in mind that I tried and failed to complete on  a Zvezda 1/100 one.

Andy

• Like 2

So wheels & tracks painted (tracks that are visible will be weathered later. Hull top & skirts on.... 

49760246543_b3df81ec75_b.jpgIMG_20200411_141334 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49760775956_544b47e417_b.jpgIMG_20200411_141401 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49761098902_11c2a430f3_b.jpgIMG_20200411_151410 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49760246968_764b441519_b.jpgIMG_20200411_151424 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 10

final paint of the week (modelling room going back to my office later). Fully primed ready for base coat on Friday

49768726076_a9ed7abc69_b.jpgIMG_20200413_123401 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49768726036_d23542da96_b.jpgIMG_20200413_123416 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49768192033_66225cd995_b.jpgIMG_20200413_123408 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 5

snook an early mark from work, travelled the 0ft from work desk to paint desk (did need to remove work kit from desk so I could paint). Portland stone on Matilda. Will have ~36hrs to go off before masking for the first colour.

Still need to get used to my airbrush, started off really nicely then same paint would splatter or run wet - might be the nozzle and needle need replacing but not sure....

49777699157_3fde87f9ed_b.jpgIMG_20200415_161207 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49777372611_f45e296b7a_b.jpgIMG_20200415_161201 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

49776838423_45f53b1b78_b.jpgIMG_20200415_161215 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 9

Coming along nicely Rob. 

I'm currently working on the same kit but I have gone for the Filibuster option as I had a bit of a run on  builds with the Caunter scheme.

It will be interesting to see how the AK paints come out. I bought a set but wasn't convinced by  some of the colours in the bottles so I switched to the MRP paints. However seeing yours on the model it looks pretty good.

Wayne 

• Like 1

Just now, Redcoat2966 said:

Nice so far Rob

I’m interested in how the AK paint performs. I’m looking into investing in a paint system by one manufacturer.

I have their olive drab modulation set as well. All my US kits have been finished in it, goes down really well. Any issues with this one will be my doing I am sure.

8 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Nice so far Rob

I’m interested in how the AK paint performs. I’m looking into investing in a paint system by one manufacturer.

I would have a look at the MRP range. A little on the expensive side, but I have used them on all my recent builds and have been really impressed by them. They come airbrush ready and are lacquer based. 

The colours seem alot more accurate to my eye than the AK range. I had the AK paints to do the SCC No1/No2 brown scheme on my Matilda and they were way off where as the MRP paints seem pretty close. I wasn't convinced by their Khaki No3 either.

I'm not too sure about their Caunter range either but looking at Rob's build the Portland Stone doesn't look as bad as I thought.

The down side of MRP is that the lighter colours aren't very opaque and brush painting for touch ups and details is a bit of a no no. 

I have a Vickers light tank that I will finish in the Malta rubble scheme that you did so well on your Matilda so I need to have a look again yours to see how best to accomplish that.

Wayne

• Like 1