PANELS LINES TYPE --->QUERY RESOLVED<-----THANKS

FrancisGL

Hi Pals, 

Please, I would like to know that kit manufacturers, make their models with the panel lines "inward" and not "outward", because I find it much more real and easier when working with IHMO.

The scale would be 1/48, although I'm also interested in 1/72, the most common brands, such as Tamiya, Hasegawa, Italeri, and any other that meets that feature.

Regards, and thank you very much ☺️

Edited by FrancisGL

I don't think any kits tooled since the 1980s have raised panel lines, they were a feature of most kits prior to then. Perhaps if you could be a bit more specific - about subject and scale for example - folks will be able to give better advice.

Edited by Ratch
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I don't think any kits tooled since the 1980s have raised panel lines, they were a feature of most kits prior to then. Perhaps if you could be a bit more specific - about subject and scale for example - folks will be able to give better advice.

Many thanks for your fast reply, 

As I am not an expert in this field, perhaps it is somewhat imprecise, I have recently seen in my hands a Bf-109g of Zvezda, and the panels are very "vague" and not very precise in their layout (not in accuracy, I think) ).

The scale as I mentioned before, would be 1/48, and also 1/72, and the brands that interest me most are Tamiya, Hasegawa, Italeri, for price and proven quality (at least the first two ... lol), and also It would be my first plane in about 35 years, so I'm pretty "lost" about it ... lol

Cheers Ratch :D

I don't know if you know about Scalemates. It's the best way to see when a model was originally tooled, which would give you some idea how old and as Ratch said, more likely to have raised panel lines. Many of them also have reviews, which may also give some clue.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I don't know if you know about Scalemates. It's the best way to see when a model was originally tooled, which would give you some idea how old and as Ratch said, more likely to have raised panel lines. Many of them also have reviews, which may also give some clue.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/

Many thanks for your reply and link, I have visited this page on some occasion, and it has a huge amount of info, that's why it was what to consult in the forum.
I do not know if there will be a similar pattern in the kits of each brand when manufacturing them.

I remember that the Hasegawa kits, if they had the lines of the panels "inwards", and obviously, if I decided to mount a kit (as I would like!), the chosen one would be out of current mold (although of the WWII).

Cheers Gorby :D

6 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Many thanks for your reply and link, I have visited this page on some occasion, and it has a huge amount of info, that's why it was what to consult in the forum.
I do not know if there will be a similar pattern in the kits of each brand when manufacturing them.

I remember that the Hasegawa kits, if they had the lines of the panels "inwards", and obviously, if I decided to mount a kit (as I would like!), the chosen one would be out of current mold (although of the WWII).

Cheers Gorby :D

FWIW, conventional terminology is "recessed" and "raised." As others have urged, why don't you post some specific subjects (with or without the brands you're interested in), and we can give you a much more specific response.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

FWIW, conventional terminology is "recessed" and "raised." As others have urged, why don't you post some specific subjects (with or without the brands you're interested in), and we can give you a much more specific response.

Thanks for the clarification, with the terminology of "raised" and "recessed", obviously I am interested only in models with "RAISED" panels, at scales of 1/72 and / or 1/48.

The brands with which I feel most familiar are (rather, they were), TAMIYA, HASEGAWA, and one that catches my attention a lot in 1/48 is ITALERI.

If I remember correctly, HASEGAWA used to use "Recessed lines".

I try to see if it is possible, to know if in more current molds, or perhaps "Reboxed", the manufacturer's guidelines are the same for their kits, something else logical, you just have to see an Eastern Express kit, and another from Tamiya (AFVs to 1/35) ...

Cheers Seawinder :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Eduard kits are pretty decent and come in at various price points. 

Thanks for the info, that brand I've only tested with some PEs for AFVs at 1/35.
Maybe I have something that fits what I'm looking for:

* 1 / 72, 1 / 48 scale

* WWII airplanes

* "Recessed panel lines molds

Cheers Corsairfoxforuncle :winkgrin:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Thanks for the clarification, with the terminology of "raised" and "recessed"

Francis - for clarification, raised and recessed describe the lines separating the panels, not the actual panels.

If you are interested in kits with RAISED panel lines then it is unlikely that you will find any modern kits with this feature as it not considered realistic. What you term as "vague" details on the Zvezda kit is actually one of its positives as the Zvezda 109's are amongst the finest examples on the market right now.

Look for old Monogram 1/48 kits and you will likely find ones with raised panels lines. The scalemates site referenced above is useful for this.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Francis - for clarification, raised and recessed describe the lines separating the panels, not the actual panels.

Sorry, I think I've been pretty clear, what I'd like are kits with fuselage lines, wings, structure, "That go in, not out / in relief", obviously, if there is any registration panel in the fuselage that in the real model stands out, then also, but basically everything that encompasses the structure of the plane, so that when I pour specific product (enamel pe, to draw the lines, fill the gap of the line by capillarity, for later Remove the excess product.

I think these pics are pretty clear about what I would like to find.

Cheers.

bGY1iMZ.jpg

VmkpJdQ.jpg

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

A diagram:

41935016011_76e5349ab7_b.jpg

Chris

Many thanks for your reply, is what I just want, "and is that a picture is worth a thousand words", the RECESSED LINE, I hope it serves to clarify the doubt I have about manufacturers in 1/72 or 1/48 they usually make their molds with that kind of lines.

Cheers Cris :D

Your asking for kits with recessed (inwards) panel lines. What specific aircraft do you wish to model, (e.g. Spitfire, Me109, FW190, Mustang, Hurricane etc.).

Pick an aircraft type, pick a manufacturer and search on scalemates for reviews on that subject then (if you want) pick another manufacturer and repeat.

Tom

• Thanks 1

I’m going to be the wicked fairy at the party here: go and have a look at a real aeroplane.  You will find that very often panel edges are lapped rather than butt-jointed, so there is a noticeable step where the panels meet rather than a flush-surfaced joint (the fuselage skinning on the English Electric Canberra is a noticeable exception to this, being very smooth with few, if any, visible panel joints or rivet heads).  On some aircraft, like the Lancaster for example, the lapped joints give the appearance of raised panel lines as depicted in older kits.

What you will not find on real aeroplanes is a dark (or black) line round each and every skin joint and access panel or dark smudges along every panel joint.  Admittedly the edges of some panels will be more visible than others, for example frequently-used doors and hatches and there may well be discoloured paintwork around some parts of the edges due to abrasion by hands, gloves, clothing, hoses, cables and umpteen-dozen other objects and materials.  Some hatches and doors may also have flexible seals around the edges which may affect their appearance in relation to the rest of the airframe.  To see every panel line outline in black as in the pictures of the beautifully finished F-5/T-38 above makes the model appear toy-like.

i have a friend who is an airframe fitter by trade: he has commented that any pilot who saw heavy staining around panel joints would want (a) to know why and (b) what was going to be done about it before he wanted to consider trying to fly it because staining might well mean leaks or other problems which, in turn, might have a serious impact on his being able to get home in time for tea and medals.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Thanks for the clarification, with the terminology of "raised" and "recessed", obviously I am interested only in models with "RAISED" panels, at scales of 1/72 and / or 1/48.

The brands with which I feel most familiar are (rather, they were), TAMIYA, HASEGAWA, and one that catches my attention a lot in 1/48 is ITALERI.

If I remember correctly, HASEGAWA used to use "Recessed lines".

I try to see if it is possible, to know if in more current molds, or perhaps "Reboxed", the manufacturer's guidelines are the same for their kits, something else logical, you just have to see an Eastern Express kit, and another from Tamiya (AFVs to 1/35) ...

Cheers Seawinder :winkgrin:

Now I'm confused. You say you are only interested in kits with "raised panels." Are you referring to the panels themselves or the panel lines between them? The standard for most modern kits is recessed panel lines, which means narrow indentations between the panels. Most Hasegawa and Tamiya aircraft kits from at least the past 15 years have recessed panel lines, although older kits from both companies with raised panel lines are still in their catalogs. Italeri is a mixed bag, largely because a pretty high portion of their catalog is re-issues of other companies' kits. Can you not mention a few specific subjects that interest you particularly?

• Thanks 1

Recessed or engraved panel lines seem to be what you are after Francis.....Most modern kits have them, but beware of reboxed oldies (Italeri are a major culprit here).  If in doubt about a specific kit, check reviews, or just ask on here.  :coolio:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stever219 said:

I’m going to be the wicked fairy at the party here: go and have a look at a real aeroplane.  You will find that very often panel edges are lapped rather than butt-jointed, so there is a noticeable step where the panels meet rather than a flush-surfaced joint (the fuselage skinning on the English Electric Canberra is a noticeable exception to this, being very smooth with few, if any, visible panel joints or rivet heads).  On some aircraft, like the Lancaster for example, the lapped joints give the appearance of raised panel lines as depicted in older kits....

Many thanks for your appreciation, for sure that real life is a little different from our small world to scale (and maybe it should not be ... lol), you're absolutely right, the example of the F5 / T38 that I've put seems a bit exaggerated, but I needed to explain what I'm looking for, which seems very complicated, may not have explained me well, but being a "rookie" on this specific issue, I thought that in the section of those planes are your favorites, they already had that info about it .

Another thing is that it seems that nobody reads the previous post of response from the other mates ... :fight:,  so I think it has already been explained several times.

Cheers stever219 :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Now I'm confused. You say you are only interested in kits with "raised panels." Are you referring to the panels themselves or the panel lines between them? The standard for most modern kits is recessed panel lines, which means narrow indentations between the panels. Most Hasegawa and Tamiya aircraft kits from at least the past 15 years have recessed panel lines, although older kits from both companies with raised panel lines are still in their catalogs. Italeri is a mixed bag, largely because a pretty high portion of their catalog is re-issues of other companies' kits. Can you not mention a few specific subjects that interest you particularly?

Many thanks for your reply, I'm sorry, with so much trying to explain what I'm looking for, I see that I've made a mistake with your answer, which is "RECESSED" or "INWARDS" lines, as you prefer to call it.

What you suggest has a lot of logic, and more or less is what I try to do, but I did not get anything totally reliable, although seen the seen, I see that I have to be very specific, that is, do what you suggest, I choose a model (WWII, my favorites), and from there, look for reviews of it ...

Cheers Seawinder :D

Edited by FrancisGL

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Recessed or engraved panel lines seem to be what you are after Francis.....Most modern kits have them, but beware of reboxed oldies (Italeri are a major culprit here).  If in doubt about a specific kit, check reviews, or just ask on here.  :coolio:

Totally successful, I will try to avoid Italeri, although it has some really cool models (Stukas, P47, Ar96, Tigercat ... 1/48), and in your case look for specific reviews of the kit (cross fingers ... lol).

Cheers Sarge :D

Thank you very much to all for your interest and info, I have already gathered the information I was looking for, and I have drawn up a guideline to carry it out, so no more suggestions are needed.

Of course, if someone wants to contribute something else, feel free to do so, I will try to respond as soon as possible.

Cheers and thanks for all :D