Shagbat! Mr Mitchell's other design classic...

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

The two cables that come out of the rear gunners position to just behind the u/c struts are drogue cables, for attaching the two sea drogues, also known as sea anchors.

Since you are on a roll here, what were the other external lines on the side of the aircraft - the ones running diagonally up and forward from the forward catapult spool to a point somewhere below the data plate underneath the pilot’s window?  You can see the line very clearly in the colourised shot in my post above, and also in the AA5R formation photo - and in the latter, unless its an optical illusion, it appears that AA5R’s runs to a point noticeably lower on the fuselage than AA4T’s...  Unlike the drogue lines, which hang loosely, these appear to be pretty tight.

Any ideas?

I don't think it's related to the target gear, the lines run to and from different points, also I think that we would see the rest of the gear fitted.

I don't what they are for though, a bad guess would be a grab rope for people being rescued at sea, but doesn't look right for that either.

P.S. they seem to be fitted along with those side window deflectors?

• Like 2

I’ve seen the same AP rigging diagram (on the marvellous Seawings site), but I still can’t think why they’d leave some (but not all) of the towed target lines permanently rigged - plus the angle is wrong; either the guy drawing the towed target pic was useless and drew the line in question as running to the Looker’s window when in fact it clearly runs a good 2’ below it and about the same further forward... or it’s something else.

But thanks, cos those are great pictures and very clearly show the baffles in front of the Observer’s window.  And the lower one shows an aircraft with both LSBCs and bomb racks rigged; hoorah!

Edit: simultaneous post with James.  Basically, we don’t know - and there seem to have been an almost infinite variety of wires and Heath Robinson arrangements festooned over the poor Walrus throughout its life; that upper IWM photo looks like some jury rigged pilot-operated quick release number - “in emergency, stick your left arm out of the window and pull”.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

large_000000.jpg

Am I the only one who sees this picture and hears the bloke sutting in the cockpit making “dagga-dagga-eeeeeeeoooooowwwww” noises?  He looks just like a kid playing at pilots (which is an excellent description of most members of the modern Fleet Air Arm, come to think of it, so maybe our irreverent traditions go back earlier than I realised).  

Mind you, you’d have to take fairly fatalistic view of life and not take things too seriously to get airborne in one of these; my respect for these men grows daily!  My Dad once introduced me to an extremely eminent Nottinghamshire gentleman called Peter Clifton, who was reputed to have looped his Walrus on more than one occasion...   Talk about nerves of steel!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well if you can loop one Mitchell design, maybe...

I cannot possibly help by joining in the 'cables/wires' debate, "I know narthink", but one thing that does stand out massively is the canopy glazing

Every piece has to be as flat as possible, what a challenge to get that looking right

I suppose that curved piece right at the bow must be another spray deflector for when she is afloat and taxying, keep the cabin windows as clear as possible

The more you beggars show pictures the more I love it

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Basically, we don’t know

Well if you two guys between you don't know, it seems safe to say that this is truly up there with the Great Barracuda Wing Root Opening Mystery...the Great Shagbat Side Strapping Shenanigan!

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

The more you beggars show pictures the more I love it

supermarine-walrus-amphibian-1941-hms-ki

Pilot to Armourers: 'Make sure that's on nice and tight - I don't want it dropping off during the loop.'

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, perdu said:

I suppose that curved piece right at the bow must be another spray deflector for when she is afloat and taxying, keep the cabin windows as clear as possible

If you mean what looks to be a deflector, a couple of feet aft of the stem and below the mid point of the fwd turret, that is a thermometer housed in a sun shield! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Well if you two guys between you don't know, it seems safe to say that this is truly up there with the Great Barracuda Wing Root Opening Mystery...the Great Shagbat Side Strapping Shenanigan!

supermarine-walrus-amphibian-1941-hms-ki

Pilot to Armourers: 'Make sure that's on nice and tight - I don't want it dropping off during the loop.'

If people like me who are steeped in NATO codewords ever wondered why the word for a depth charge was “Ashcan” (probably still is; they were designed for brevity and clarity on a multi-language command net, rather than secrecy), then that photo gives a healthy clue.  The Mk.8 DC (helpfully stencilled “Mk.VIII”, in case you weren’t sure...) looks exactly what it is; a can of high explosive.  We’d reached the dizzy heights of the Mk.11 by my era, but it still looked like “a big can of Wup-bottom”, as our colourful American cousins called it.

This series of photos is gold; now I have evidence for what the rear of the Observer’s baffle looked like, as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

My Dad once introduced me to an extremely eminent Nottinghamshire gentleman called Peter Clifton, who was reputed to have looped his Walrus on more than one occasion.

was it intentional ?

(completely ignoring the potential connotations that the phrase looping one's Walrus brings to mind.  I'm sure Ced will be along later to enlighten us)

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, hendie said:

was it intentional ?

(completely ignoring the potential connotations that the phrase looping one's Walrus brings to mind.  I'm sure Ced will be along later to enlighten us)

Spinning one’s Shagbat?

• Haha 4

Many thanks for the replies to my queries - really helpful!  It will be the fairing on the nacelle, yes to the landing light and tailwheel, and bomb carriers and maybe racks fitted.  I'll think about fashioning some spray deflectors for the Observer's windows.

Edited by bryanm
  • Like 2

The only thing standing between me and closing up the fuselage now is the two Observer windows, which I plan (thanks to Eduard) to model open - they hinge at the top.

I built the PE frames a while ago, so now I needed to add some glazing.  Here they both are, plus the material from which they are made.  I've tried to slant the window so you can see the glazing - they are in fact both done.

24733172598_c55537b65d_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 12

I'm glad you made mention that you were building this in your Seafire thread Crisp or I'd have missed the very enjoyable hour or so I've just had reading through from the start (apologies for all the 'reaction' notifications that might now fill your e-mail inbox!) Absolutely cracking modelling going on again here!

I still have nightmares about building a Valom 1/72 Walrus (especially aligning and fitting the engine nacelle - possibly similar to the CA kit in that respect) as a retirement gift for my wife's boss (why he couldn't have asked for a Spitfire I don't know!) years ago, so I was studiously ignoring this Airfix release - but you are now providing a great deal of inspiration and encouragement to buy one of the things.....must resist!!

Looking forward to more

Keith

• Like 3

Rummaging through the box, it may be possible to make the spray deflectors from the trailing edges of the unused flap parts.  There are two pairs of flaps, one pair each for the spread and folded wing options.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The only thing standing between me and closing up the fuselage now is the two Observer windows, which I plan (thanks to Eduard) to model open - they hinge at the top.

I built the PE frames a while ago, so now I needed to add some glazing.  Here they both are, plus the material from which they are made.  I've tried to slant the window so you can see the glazing - they are in fact both done.

24733172598_c55537b65d_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

That's going to be a very nice touch to the model.

Martian

22 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

That's going to be a very nice touch to the model.

I can easily see this build standing as a definitive example of how an already handsome kit can be taken to very high levels of Walrusification.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can easily see this build standing as a definitive example of how an already handsome kit can be taken to very high levels of Walrusification.

Careful there or General "Old Walrus Face" Melchett with think we're talking about him...and that's a dangerous thing.  He'll either take offence (he is, after all, such a sensitive booby) or he'll think we're complimenting him, and take it as an invitation to join in the conversation (AGAIN!).  Either way, it won't be pretty! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

We would expect no less of Crisp!

Martian

• Like 2

The starboard window has now been fitted.  When I came to prepare the port one, I found that the section of nickel rod at the top had dropped out - no problem to replace it (it was still there, just no longer attached), but I'll give it 12 hours before I fit the window.

So you only get one of them today:

37905021544_bc2db487d2_c.jpg

Seen from outside:

37905021284_aca6bf00ba_c.jpg

Looking forward into the cockpit:

37905020934_47ed2abfdd_c.jpg

And from the nose:

37905020264_d2c356dc17_c.jpg

And the photo of the real thing that gave me the idea:

26846360319_9a8aa1d283_h.jpg

More tomorrow

Crisp