Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

I would find that bit quite easy

Hack off the box and add a couple of formers across the hole then plate it all with polystyrene sheet and a wee bit of Milliput

Really looking forward to that

Some exquisite work there young Bill, wonderful work on the flotation rig, very nice indeed. Now that Wessex GB is over I did think about resurrecting my 48th build that sitting around page 374, I looked at it then put it away again, my 48th Wessex that I failed on that GB is looking far more attractive!

1 hour ago, hendie said:

remove the big lunch box that those fish 'eads tacked on the underside.

Wafu's dear boy, Wafu's. Fish'eads are those filthy creatures that work on those there smelly ship type things. Only Wafus are the ones worthy enough to care and love them aerodynamic flying machines that grace the sky (and go get the mail and spuds!). But worry not 'tis a common misconception amongst Crabs and Pongos :D

Bob

• Like 3

On 04/02/2017 at 1:40 PM, hendie said:

560 ?   I thought you had got one of those "call in the next 60 minutes to receive this special..."  UV curing glues ?

are you becoming a connoisseur of adhesives now ?  sampling different glues for different occasions ?

Perdu:  It's canopy time again Jeeves

Jeeves: I'll get the bonding agent for you sir !

Perdu: It's RAF Blue Grey....  Compucolour

Jeeves:  Ah.. in that case Sir, I'll break out the Formula 560

Perdu:  Oh... and bring some empire biscuits too Jeeves - I'd like to savor the occasion

Jeeves: Of course Sir! (bows slightly, then exits stage left)

Sounds a little like our house........................

• Like 1

Ah oui mon brave

Un Stella, deux Stellas et trois Stellas s'il vous plais Mo'med (A bar owner in Bagnolles who is a nice chap)

Aussi, quatre Calvados. Un pour vous aussi naturellement

Aha, et aussi un pour mon ami Miggers qui desire a allez au Le Mans avec moi cet Juin ;)

As you can surely see,  I struggle but eventually get the beer in

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

d'accord

and there was me thinking you were quoting Ivor Cutler !

In other news... what have you gone and done !   :wall:  (to me ???)

I took a closer look at the Wasp Scout-to-be tonight.  :yikes:

Aside from having to cut off various carbuncles and reinstate aerodynamic fuselage bits...

The engine.... well, at least I expected that.  It shall be good lathe practice.

The main rotor gearbox -makes italeri's Wessex attempt look like a finely crafted miniature !

The transmission deck - fits nicely on the port side (only)

The double-bubble top - fits on the starboard side reasonably well. The port side is all kind of jacked up. The front where it meets the fuselage is :rage:

I think I'd better start a thread on that soon - it will probably run longer than my train has !

• Like 2

Aha

hooked him at long last

You are aware of the curative properties on plastic assemblies of the Dolgellau wonder that is Milliput so I will refrain from discompifferating...

I will be enjoying every single minute of the journey

A Scout with the flotation assembly?

Yes that sounds suitably Hendie

I promise you you'll get a world beating audience enjoying the same steps along the way

In other news:

tonight I have been remaking the float assemblies which had discovered the hitherto undiscovered scratchbuild shrink..

Most things I scratch get too big, these were nearly a millimetre small

how odd

New ones coming along nicely, tidy like...

• Like 2

Just thought

Its going to be real fun when Hendie realises he cannot use clothes pegs as bucks to carve new bulgey back doors

I really am looking forward to a much misunderstood aeroplane getting the Hendies®

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Its going to be real fun when Hendie realises he cannot use clothes pegs as bucks to carve new bulgey back doors

easy - the scouts in HK had all the doors removed - this photo here claims to be a 660 Sqn Scout in HK around the time I was there.  (Though I have also found photo's with all doors present - and with front doors fitted and rear doors removed, and with and without flotation gear)

I'm still struggling to understand why anyone would design something to help those things FLOAT? Surely the best that could be done if they went into the drink would be to allow them to sink gracefully.....(or even not so gracefully!)

Ian

• Like 2

7 hours ago, perdu said:

the Dolgellau wonder that is Milliput

Oooh, I didn't know they were there! I remember getting lost driving around that area some time ago, my first time in West Wales, and asking for directions to Doll-gel-ow. No one knew where it was (allegedly). Of course I now know that it's pronounced Dol-geccchh-lee! Sorry, need to wipe down the desk now...

But it shrinks?? Oh no...

• Like 2

Ah no, dear heart. Shrinking isn't one of its miracle attributes, thanks be

What shrunk was the sizing I'd been scratch building from, an unfortunate result of keeping the drawings hanging around of even the wrongly re-scaled versions of my drawings stash

My drawings stash is way larger than the modelling stash, thanks to my habit of squirrelising available ones whenever I come across any

Hendie I cannot persuade this tablet to open page links, for the life of me, but I will have a butcher's when I get PC time this arvo

• Like 1

Phew, what a relief... sorry to hear that, despite the Milliput being OK, you're having shrinking problems Bill... I know how you feel!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm still struggling to understand why anyone would design something to help those things FLOAT? Surely the best that could be done if they went into the drink would be to allow them to sink gracefully.....(or even not so gracefully!)

Ian

I think it was something to do with aircrews getting bolshy and demanding time to get out of the things before they sank.

Martian

Them blimmin airyplane drivers, all so very entitled arent they...

OK I have questions for the house here, reasonable (Ian!!!) reponses are invited

I am putting Wopsey together in a folded up condition*

Blades shouldered back on their red racking, tail pylon scrunched round by the tail cone and RBFs and suitable jetpipe covers all over

Does the team think I could get away, in realistic Lilliputian terms, with having a type 44 hanging off the weapons delivery system?

Even with the tie downs holding her to the deck?

I do not want the privilege of hearing some lowlife ex-matelot walking past at some future display ,uttering "Hur hur, what a daft beggar to have a Wasp displayed thusly"...

(come on, you've all heard him and his soldier cousin who says "You'd never clean a Gimpy barrel with a belt still flipped up to the tray")

* we have a new club competition this year sponsored by the local model emporium and Aladdin's cave  :)

make and pose a model on a standard sized Carling Beer Mat, no overhangs allowed

So far it looks as if Wopsey will fit perfectly

So far...

• Like 3

Er, you mean, sort of like this?

31960549634_dbeb657250_b.jpg

Wasp%20loading%20torpedoes.JPG

OK, the second one is all spread out, but it's armed and tied down....and the first is armed and folded so I think you can get away with it!

I think that's reasonable enough, even for me! :D

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ian

I think it was something to do with aircrews getting bolshy and demanding time to get out of the things before they sank.

Martian

and to give them time to get their lunch box out of the back end

• Like 2

:)

No worries about what colour to paint the door window frames on this helo Bob, huh

I have been sculpting the floats and fitting the strengthening framework to the shells, harder than I hoped but getting there

And just for something to see tonight I took pics of the inevitable filler round the door framework and roof windows

Perfect Plastic Putty just isnt strong enough for a rather hefty sculpting job later so one side got Humbrol's filler but the other is going to be OK with PPP

P1120028.jpg

The cabin framework took quite a battering before the roof went on so its time to make it good again

Tomorrow it will have a wet sanding

P1120029.jpg

As will this, the PPP side

I have just cut the rotor blades of the 'half root' arrangement Airfix give us, then I will have to add extra plastic to the inner ends so the fold pins and eyes can be replicated

The blades fold by removing one set pin and pivotting the blade back to the support frame on the tail, colourful

Bright red canny be bad

Ill be drilling the new plastic and giving it a carved shape to have two holes in

I wonder if Tamiya Smoke will darken that far too bright blue roof?

oh ohhh  :(

Tomorrow then folks see y'all

Edited by perdu
clumsy fingeritis
  • Like 12

Blinking heck Bill ...this turning out brilliantno!...I am with Ian on the fact that you haven't snapped off the under trollies!:o...with my clumsiness that would have been the last item to place on!;)

What? Like the Skol ones from the seventies with Hagar and finger holes?

Try making a model that conforms to that complex series of shapes...

No, this is a challenge from our wonderful local model emporium that requires the model of whatever (and we have some wonderful modellers of whatever in our club) to sit entirely within the footprint of a Carling beer mat

Nigel doesn't sell beer so that is not the 'driver' but we all agreed it will make a pretty darned smart Club table at shows to have all those models fitted in with each other

Lads I'm only human unlike Martian and his tentacles so fingers do occasionally 'spring' a leg joint

Has tool kit, does travel...

• Like 5