Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Did anyone notice we've had another Christmas pass us by?

Well it didnt pass but touched lightly thank all that's blessed

Anyway  I have been tiddling about with stuff here and stuff there

There I will deal with there when there's much of owt to share, here's where here comes in

Small beer again "little and occasional" is the watchword

I made some wheels recently you may recall and spent some of last night fashioning the new yokes for the legs and then adding the yokes to the old stem sections

I'm rather (some may say uncharacteristically) pleased we were pulled up over the wheel diameters but if that isn't what we come and post for I am unsure what else it might be?

After James setting us on the way with actual, proper sizes (which I hope some of you have saved for accurising next year's Airfix Wasp) I was in a position to learn about the wheel locking systems in use on Wopses (kind of...)   0.208" = 1/72 scale 15"

It is obvious that every suspension leg on the Wasp is identical to the next/other and I see the wheel lock is inside each wheel in the same place too

What we have is a locking device on the right/starboard face of each wheel as it sits in its caster pointing forward

The leg is designed so it has the same tie downs and clamping frames for the purpose of being port or starbucks, just with nuts, bolts and piping reversed for opposing sides of the airframe

Good idea, saves money and brain power

So does this gain the favour of the collective?

P1110872.jpg

these pictures highlighted a slight irregularity on the front port tyre, now sorted

P1110873.jpg

from the side over here

P1110874.jpg

these spindles are not yet fixed in position but the next phase will result in them becoming permanant structural artifacts soon

P1110875.jpg

The locking units are almost invisible here and not a lot more visible in the  walkarouds round hereabouts, 's'amazing how rare pictures of them are

Also I have been playing with the ultra violet setting resin my wife treated me to as an early Christmas pressie

Here is one of the internal canopy framing being attached along with a linked set of collectives being assembled for something "over there"  ;)

P1110876.jpg

It is going to be fun to start making wiring and wriggly pipery for upstairs next

Soon be painting time

Edited by perdu
  • Like 13

Yep. That's doing it for me.

A bit like the old painter's trick of looking at your work in the mirror, I often find that it's only after looking at the photos after a session that I notice when something is astray.

Seeing your structure there in its current state Bill reminds me just how much the Wasp seems to spring from a  'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' design sensibility; being up close to the real thing only serves to increase this sense when you see how it only seems as substantial as a 60s saloon car. I'm still incredibly fond of its buzzing gangliness when you see one flying...

Tony

• Like 3

Seamew

Would it shock you to know I've built one of those already?

:)Flew quite well for an old Keil Kraft rubber job...

Dammit I'm a 'Child of the Fifties' all that stuff is grist to the mill

However I doubt if we'll be having Shorts's little aberration this time around

;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Beautiful.  Next should be a fully functional wing-folding Gannet, or maybe a Seamew... 

I have one of those in the stash Crisp and copies from the AP :hmmm:.  No; stop putting daft ideas in my head, there are more than enough of those there already!

Martian the Sorely Tempted

• Like 3

Amazing. That's all I can think to say on your ability to make a full set of wheels from scratch. It hardly conveys my admiration for the effort and ingenuity you've put in to this one but it's all I can offer at the moment. Well done sir.

• Like 1

Well I finally decided on the wheel directions, they only seem to caster oddly in flight so I have gone for a more or less ahead posture

And now the front legs are in, glued and trimmed at last

Now I can get Wasping

So to mark the occasion, yaw pedals with stirrup loops for wobblychopter ops

P1110899.jpg

I know they don't show well from this angle  :)

This angle does show that there's lots of scope for a very sharp new scalpel blade round the legs, front one needed a bit more off but I needed some height to hold the leg angle

a bit of scalpelling will soon sort that

P1110901.jpg

Im not happy with the back window either.  Lots of scope for modelling here then I will start decorating the engine deck

P1110898.jpg

Shocker will be spotted in when the paint is done, I'm hoping to use Albion AlloysTube for the fescalised bits

I admit it, quite pleased with the wheels  :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 9

And I thought I was pushing it making a 1/48 Scout from the Wasp kit! Outstanding work so far!! By the way, I think you'll find the wheels are generally canted inward when operating from ships to prevent the aircraft rolling off the deck. They're then aligned manually to move it into/out of the hangar (AFAIK).