Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Wow. I'm impressed with your skillful rendering of the undercarriage and think the 'sit' looks spot-on. Only thing that throws it off for me is the wheel; want them to be a slightly smaller diameter and a little fatter.

Very nice indeed! A veritable flying supermarket trolley if ever there was one. Surely the thing would go backwards very quickly if it fired a missile?

Ian

• Like 1

Wow. They look good to me Boss (but what do I know of helichopters?)

Glad you like the UV glue - I'm impressed with mine and, when I did my shopping research, I think the major difference is whether it's a gel (about your price) or runny stuff (cheaper).

i may be wrong though, again.

• Like 2

As Col says, I think the wheels are just a tad too large in diameter.  I had to look at it for a while before it hit me. You got the angles spot on and you got the spindly's spot on but it seems to sit just a wasps wotsit too high when compared to the photo, unless the photo is misleading me. 

Tis the wheels that make it so. - Do you have a photo taken from the side to compare with ?   Dunno about fatter wheels but definitely a smaller diameter

It really does look great though. 

(and good news about the glue - now I must go and get me some)

• Like 1

Yes I get you Ced, this seems to combine some characteristics of gel but when the rubber cap comes off it soon oozes up the nozzle

Good though innit?

Col I could be tempted to agree with you re: the diameters, not quite so sure about the thickness

But I don't have FOUR sacrificial Airfix Hudson tailwheels to snaffle from the company as official Airfix Mag editor

Alan Hall was quite a guy

I only have these wheels sacrificed from a Sea Knight, but I am happy to remake the whole leg device if someone can tell me how to get the wheels smaller without a lathe

Ongoing model is ongoing

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

I only have these wheels sacrificed from a Sea Knight, but I am happy to remake the whole leg device if someone can tell me how to get the wheels smaller without a lathe

What diameter do you need ?  I'm sure someone out here in cyberland has something in a box somewhere.

okay, I take it back.

based on the photo above, yours isn't sitting anywhere near as high as I thought it was.  If they do need reducing, it's only a touch.  Maybe letting some air out of the tires will be enough

• Like 1

I'm quite pleased myself Hendie

The sit of the model's legs is far closer to that last picture than I'd thought

I will get on with the other stuff for now until I make a final decide

Stuff to add inside and outside, outside stuff will let me paint her

That'll be fun, I've had this jar of Compucolour RAF BlueGrey waiting since the early eighties

• Like 2

I'm looking at this in the same way I look at my 1:72 builds...not size but proportions. In the pics above the lower leg mounting points appear about 1/2 to 2/3 of the wheel diameter above the wheel. On the model they're about a wheel diameter above....I think your problem is the length of the leg above the wheel before it meets the lower mount, part of which is a slightly too large gap between the tyre and the gear leg.... hope that makes sense!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

I think you have the sit pretty much spot on, if the wheels are a bit too wide then its so marginal as to be not worth worrying about. I say leave it as it is.

Martian

• Like 1

Cheers chaps

The models wheels measure 0.2385" which multiplied by little scale (1/72 for anyone conflustered) gives 17.172" diameter

To me the real thing doesn't 'eye' off much off that anyway

I'm not going to ask anyone to take a tape measure off for a trip to a museum for this

I may skim the outer radius a semitad with a scalpel edge but on the whole I plan to move on

The legs between the pairs of arms will be getting reduced once the wheels issue is resolved, I think that will set Ian's mind at rest

Of course that has to wait til tomorrow, today's Walter's turn with only just over a month to go on the STGB 

I've been looking at my Sea Fury...

Needs paint

And its nauticaviation tooooo

So!

D

• Like 2

Its sitting in my big cupboard ( I have three built ins) built but repainted

It was one of our famous charriddee comp builds, now being improved...

I've made new main wheel doors with all the stiffening ribs and done minor stuff in the drivers seating area

You know the kind of thing, leather pouffes and a small cocktail cabinet

All the little things that would have reminded Naval Orfissers of home

Canopy moulded from the kit one although I do have the Falcon set if I need it, that was obtained to give me clear bits for my Frog Gannet that lost its own ones in the intervening non-modelling years

I'll prolly whizz some EDSG on it after Chrimble whilst I decide whether to try stripe painting or use the new decal sets I appropriated at Cosford a couple of years ago

• Like 1

Thanks James, can you clarify this for me please

A car tyre is marked such as 165/80x13 none of that gives me a tyre diameter

Does the aircraft tyre marking give the outside diameter instead?

Taking 2" off the wheels won't be much of a chore if I need to

I'm in the middle of an airfield at mo, so bear with me.

Car tyres don't give overall diameter, it's the width in CM, tyre height percentage of width, and the wheel rim diameter in inches.

Aircraft tyres are different and use two basic measurement types, the one I've cited should be overall tyre diameter, tyre width and hub diameter. Hope that makes sense!

So Wasp wheel/tyre overall diameter should be 15 inch, which does seem about right.

Edited by 71chally
Clarification
  • Like 2

Loving the progress on this, she is looking very waspy! I have looked at the wheel and my first thought was a tad overscale but eying up scale for me is very tricky especially in 72nd scale. If they are 2" too big that would equate to around .7mm ( or 1/32" in old money) off the diameter which isn't a great deal. Would it make that much difference.....I think it would refine the look a bit more but In all honesty the Mk1 eyeball gives a thumbs up :thumbsup:

Bob

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Leather pouffes?  

What?

You'd have preferred the red plush velvet?

I thought the leathern pouffe was more the gentlemanly club look you navi-ators went for

James that is great info, not the usual guessworking here then

I'll work on making the wheel ods 0.208 which equates with fifteen inches by my whizzo inbuilt calculator on this little tablet

So a fruitful couple of days even if it gives me a little more to do

Getting it looking right is the whole of the game in seventy tooth scale

• Like 1