I can understand where you're coming from Paul. I'm on a fixed rotation and on the same platform which makes a difference I think. The not knowing when and how long for would certainly put a strain on things.

thanking you all very much. I do enjoy detailing interiors; at least with helicopters they are a little bit more visible.

A small update but a noteworthy milestone. The fuselage has been glued together. the cab section was glued in with 5 minute epoxy, the rest of the fuselage was just tamiya liquid poly. applied in stages until sections where dry to help reduce gaps / seams - it helped a bit but the bottom needs some attention. oh, before all that I had a go at the rhinoplasty. I thought why not but I made a right hash of it. thankfully vallejo filler came in handy. So the cut, which was marked and I even had tape to guide me, still managed to go askew. I can't really see the difference in this scale at least but thought I'd give it a go regardless.

28898747084_469d3dec1b_z.jpg

28898731374_0a086d91d0_z.jpg

the engine / gearbox fairing section was a bit of a pain to align. still need to smooth some parts though. I will prime the underneath of this and then paint using zinc chromate before gluing it in place.

29414608712_8290b64a51_z.jpg

my second attempt at tinting the glazing was more successful - these have now been glued into place but no photo of that.

28898737074_e5d250e0ae_z.jpg

thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 8

Wahey, you got the fuselage together. Always an important turning point in any build!

That nose job looks fine to me, make the best harley Street doctor envious.

Nice work on the engine cowling too, bet you're glad it's out of the way now.

I've heard tinting clear parts can be notoriously difficult, hard to get an even coat, but you've made a reet good job of it.

I think you're on the homeward stretch now Aaron, most of the hard work is behind you.

Looking forward to more progress soon.

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks you Matt & Nigel,

You're right about the tinting, quite difficult to get an even coat. they look good in the photos and its only when up close that you can see a few speckles; quite a few of these disappeared when I dipped it in Alclad aqua gloss.

Polishing out the nose wasn't as bad as I thought, truth will be seen when I get a coat of primer on though :)

another update.

added some sticky out bits to the bottom and cut out the "hellhole" bit of guess work on this so I think it might be a bit small but its not really going to be seen. you'll also notice that the weather radar has been added to the nose.

29455700242_3a3ebd76c4_z.jpg

I've painted the interior facing on the engine / gearbox fairings in chromate yellow. Italeria provide some piping detail around the gearbox, only a small amount of this will be seen so I didn't go to town on it; just applied a wash of Mig engine grime and whilst that was still wet applied Mig black wash to the edges of the raised parts. When this was dry, I applied a bit of vallejo steel paint to some raised parts.

28941915023_ca93c17b0e_z.jpg

and this is whats visible

29275146370_023375a454_z.jpg

29484926951_7c135a13b7_z.jpg

I'll probably apply a dark wash over some of the chromate towards the engine exhausts.

I filled in these holes as I think they are too high on this kit

28939747934_baabe5e311_z.jpg

looking like a 212 to me

29455689682_1601e7f412_z.jpg

I've since discovered that the windows on the sliding doors are too small for this aircraft in this scheme. I'm debating whether to enlarge them or not.

tonight I will try and get the glazing the top bit and engine fairing glued and maybe start masking the clear parts and the doorway. doubtful, but a coat of primer would be a great achievement.

cheers and as always, thanks for looking

Aaron

• Like 7

That looks very nice Aaron :thumbsup2:. The tinted windows look very good and the whole model sits very well; it seems to be a very nice kit. It has a very good scale look to it.

I see primer on the horizon.....

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Hello and thank you all,

I’ve not had the opportunity to log in to BM recently.  I’m now at work so progress will halt.  I took these photos last week, but never got round to updating WIP. 

Primed using Tamiya rattle can. 29009366593_17a50c3142_z.jpg

Followed by Pre-shade (mr. bobby aqueous black)29522654502_612649ba8c_z.jpg

Then some white paint.  Initially Mr hobby aqueous but the coverage was not great over the pre-shade so I ended up using Tamiya white primer from the rattle can.  Very light sprays to keep the pres-shade.29522677172_9468cfa31c_z.jpg

29522652982_f6b2f43d8c_z.jpg

29522679602_65490a811a_z.jpg

Then some Vallejo model air day-glo (Its called something else but can’t recall).  This is the second attempt.  My first attempt was horrendous; I won’t go into details of but my errors and also being use to Mr Hobby aqueous for some time now that I forgot the characteristics of Vallejo. Because of my errors, I had to re-spray the white which resulted in losing the pre-shade, no great deal as it’s on the underside so won’t be seen that often.  I’m not certain of the size and location of the chevrons so this is guess work.  Also, around this point I discovered that the decca box is in the wrong place (the square box).  The instructions say to fit it in the centre but I’ve since found one picture which shows that it should be located off centre.  Again, not overly fussed but next time I build a Bristows 212 I’ll remember. The dark lines that you might see down the centre are not seam lines, they are pencil marks to help align my mask for the chevrons. 

29552420331_0d4dc531c8_z.jpg

And the top bit painted with Mr Hobby brown followed by Mr Hobby soot sprayed around the edges, I also gave the area a very light spray of sandy brown.  Can’t see the variation in the photos but it looks quite nice in the flesh (well I think so).

29529911432_3b07834d89_z.jpg

Cheers

and thanks for looking

Aaron

• Like 8

Very nice painting Aaron, those chevrons are stunning :thumbsup: !

It's hard to believe it's 1/72, it has a very solid, strong look about it.

Looking forward to the next instalment :)

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Very nice Aaron. Great masking for the chevrons. Pre shading looks good too.

Must try it some time.

Hope work doesn't keep you away from the bench for too long.

Matt.

Must be the only one in this group build with a paint scheme that doesn't include day glo somewhere. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all.  Apologies for being absent.  Been back from work about a week but in the process of (trying to) sell our house so been rather busy and I'm afraid have neglected my hosting duties.  Also, during my time at work I've found that the security settings don't allow me to see pictures from photo bucket, tried a VPN but that didn't work either; Flckr seems to be okay though...

anyway, I do have an update.  I took lots of in betweeny photos during the painting but won't bore you with all of them.  Instead here are 2 photos of G-BALZ as of a few hours ago.  Painted and large decals applied.  Stencils will be added in the next day or two; then I can started attaching all the aerials and the floats.  

30173103945_fd36385687_c.jpg

29877402830_1d649118d7_c.jpg

thanks for looking.  Tomorrow will be another hectic day but hopefully Sunday I can go through all the build threads and get back to my hosting duties.

cheers

Aaron

• Like 8

No apologies Aaron, we've all got a life outside the hobby!

Simply stunning  - the interior and the paint job are terrific.

Really coming alive now, looking forward to the next update.

All the best.

Dermot

• Like 1

Very nice work Aaron. She's looking spiffing now, especially with the markings on.

G-balz, made me chuckle. School yard humour. Where's cedb when you want him? Worth a fnar-fnar, in his absence. 

Matt

• Like 1

Love the colour scheme Aaron, very nicely done.

Thats a stunning blue :) .

Good luck with the house sale.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Finished the decals and now in the process of adding the sticky out bits.  Thoroughly enjoying this one, and pleased with how it's looking.  Not sure if I'll get this finished before I go away again but progress is pretty good for me.  Club night tonight so won't get anything done this evening.