1/72 RF-8 Aerosani +++ Finished +++

Thank you for your comments guys :)

I've been cracking on with the assembly of the resin bits. It's obviously a fairly simple kit, but one that can't be rushed. I found the suspension struts particularly fiddly to pit together - not helped by the unforgiving nature of CA glue!

Even the skis were tricky, as they have a thin running strip underneath which means that they won't sit flat on their own. Again. with CA there's little opporunity to adjust things while the glue is setting, so I had to build a simple jig to get everything aligned properly beforehand.

P1090686_zpsgcs8co67.jpg

The slots accomodate the ski runners and hold everything nice and true.

P1090687_zpsu6krkw87.jpg

At least the skis were relatively large and had some flat surfaces - unlike the headlight :devil: !

I ended up holding this in place with blu-tac before gluing.

P1090688_zpsfcvuy28u.jpg

And here are all the resin parts assembled.

P1090689_zpseejs6wfc.jpg

Next up - the brass parts, including that beautiful machine gun :eat:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

Thanks again for your comments guys :)

This kit is a beautiful little product and while there is scope for adding extra detailing (most significantly within the cockpits), I'm happy to stay with what Extratech have provided.

Here is where I am with the figures.

P1090713_zpsbt0vyxif.jpg

The Luftwaffe airmen proved relatively easy to convert into Soviet aerosani crew.

Their flying helmets required the most modification: having removed the goggles and headphones I then sanded some flatter surfaces onto the helmets to make them look more like fur-lined soft hats. Not perfect, but not too bad in 1:1.

Getting the arms posed in the right positions was a much harder task but after some pretty brutal manipulation, I got there :devil: . I see from the photograph though, that the shoulder joints need a little more work to blend them in.

On to painting next and I am looking forward to doing a Soviet military subject without having to debate exactly which colour to use ;) .

Thanks for looking

Cliff

• Like 5

An exemplary pice of work on a delightfully quixotic vehicle Cliff. Something rather 'steampunk' about the whole affair :)

Lovely stuff on the detailing.

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your continuing interest :)

Unfortunately I've had next to no free time in recent days, so not a lot has happened to the aerosani.

I did manage a couple of hours this afternoon though, so it is now officially white!

P1090716_zpsmjtdw0p9.jpg

I used Vallejo 'Off White', which was from their standard Model Colour range (rather than Model Air), and so it was a pig to airbrush - lots of spluttering and gritty bits. It was the same the last time I used it, but I never seem to learn ;) . Some gentle sanding (where I could get access), has improved things.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

Thanks guys and I'm glad that you all like the white paint job. Unfortunately, I've now gone and messed it up - deliberately, of course!

P1090730_zpsi7bfbzzc.jpg

All the photos that I've seen of the RF-8 show it pretty grubby, so I've tried to replicate this using my usual mix of oil washes and pigments.

I'm calling this one finished now (although I may try to tone down the gunner's face a bit - for some reason the driver's face looks much better :hmmm: ).

I'll a post a few extra photos in the Gallery, but in the meantime thanks to all of you who supported and 'liked' the build (especially the Sarge who also did a sterling job as a Host!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 10