+++FINISHED+++ TAKOM Chieftain Mk11

Ending the day on a good note

The kit barrel, no after-market for me if I can get the plastic one to work out (nearly there). Keeps the costs down too.

4937272_orig.jpg

Right side turret with (L>R) Rear Stowage Bin, Commanders Basket, Commanders Bin and the Clansman Comms Unit

8435669_orig.jpg

Left side turret with the Loaders Basket and Stowage Bin - The PE is a perfect fit to the basket floor

8595464_orig.jpg

T.O.G.S. (Thermal Observational and Gunnery System) a High Performance Thermal Fire Control System

Still a little clean up once the filler hardens and then I'll attach it to the turret

2110047_orig.jpg

Next Time: More PE and final fit of the smallest parts

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 5

Nice work on the Chiefy,

Not sure where you got the info on Ptarmigan from but it was never fitted as standard to a MBT, also the antenna is totally different from a Clansman base unit and I also doubt that the kit would even fit into the cramped confines of a Chieftain. The antenna base unit resembles a US Army unit with a big exposed spring at the base and it uses a quite thick 2m fibreglass whip. The other antenna issued was for use with a Racal or Clarke 8m or 12m masts.

I worked a SCRA((T) for years and I used to teach it at unit level, it was never designed to go in anything bigger than a Land Rover or a 436, we did trial it in a Warrior for a while but it was not widely done.

What is shown on the chieftain kits is the Clansman armoured TUAAM box fitted with a Clansman BAE which is a standard item.

Dan

• Like 1

Picking up from yesterday we have ........

The T.O.G.S units now attached - a little patience was required - it's a snug fit and surprisingly comprises 12-parts!!!

997256_orig.jpg

The whole turret top, plan view with all bins, boxes etc fitted. Commanders MG will follow after painting

8892718_orig.jpg

Nothing that special here just that the Smoke Dischargers are now fitted (forgot before the last picture) Ooops!

970849_orig.jpg

An added feature this time is that I have fitted wires from the turret conduit molded in, up to the Smoke Unit

4685516_orig.jpg

I painted the engine grilles matt black before fitting the PE Mesh which comprises 22-parts in total

387372_orig.jpg

Photo-Etch Metal from TAKOM:

Is very fine and detailed and quite 'soft'. It does not need to be annealed (heated to soften it), as it would effectively dissolve.

I sanded tboth sides of each part with fine wet&dry paper to roughen the surface to take the Nailene Acrylic Nail Adhesive (ASDA) which is a thickened CA/Superglue and has an applicator brush.

It gives just enough working time to get the parts right. I took the decision to do the bulk of the PE in one shot while my head was in 'the zone'.

Next Time: Headlights & Gun Crutch (forgot that today)

• Like 5

Certainly a comprehensive kit. The etched metal parts add a lot to the look of it and I'll try to remember you recommendation next time I'm in ASDA :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Basic Construction Completed

A couple of parts still to add but, some painting is needed before they can be fitted (and some masking off)

3249217_orig.jpg

This kit demolishes the Tamiya kit from the 1980's and, so it should.

As with the Mk.10 build earlier, I have thouroughly enjoyed this build which is why it's happened so quickly.

It may seem strange but working in 2-3 hour pockets has proven very efficient as you come back to each session very fresh.

It's important to have regular breaks and to 'take a breather' by working towards small targets of construction.

Construction Gallery

696754_orig.jpg

2264800_orig.jpg

8522622_orig.jpg

9670396_orig.jpg

And Finally

1094395_orig.jpg

Next Time: PAINT!

• Like 5

I love this tank, a great looker. I have the acurate armour conversion and you are making me wish I had done it instead if the challenger. I'll be interested to see how they compare.

• Like 1

These daily updates are becoming addictive :)

Unfortunately, it will now be a few days before my next confession as I cannot currently get access to my spray booth and airbrushes etc.

Should be back on track after the weekend. It's our Club Night and party and I need to make room for the Gang!

There may also be a surprise from next week........

Looking good Chap. Nice progress.

For the benefit of the viewers I should state that the builder has tidied his work area considerably from the last time I saw it :chair:

But while you're finding your paint stuff remember the Centaur request please.....

• Like 1

Looking good Chap. Nice progress.

For the benefit of the viewers I should state that the builder has tidied his work area considerably from the last time I saw it :chair:

But while you're finding your paint stuff remember the Centaur request please.....

I had to!

• 2 weeks later...

The Mrs not like the smell of paints :(

Do you think I'd get this much modelling time if I had a Mrs?

Oh damn that does look such a good kit (and you are doing great things with it).....I need a modern 1/35 armour habit like I need a hole in the head, but thy're just so tempting sometimes. :o

Build wise, it's the best kit IMHO since the Cromwell/Centaur by Tamiya.

Got visitors, building yes, painting no! It's a space thing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a bit later than planned but, I've just spent the last hour applying the anti-slip coating to the Chieftain.

One more check on the parts then it's mask off the vision ports and PAINT!!!

• Like 2

Saturday Build Club got in the way and another new project commenced but

Ready for paint after masking off all the vision blocks.

First though, they all received a coat of Transparency Green

5258481_orig.jpg

Next Time: :yahoo:PAINT! :yahoo:

• Like 4

And we have PAINT!

Vallejo Model Air Black applied.

You can see the anti-slip finish clearly.

7762277_orig.jpg

AND THEN!!! :doh: ........ after a couple of hours
It all went horribly WRONG! :weep: :weep:

I applied AMMO NATO Green and the paint has fought back, (Yes I did give the bottle a good shake first).

*NB: I'm not blaming the paint as I may have been too hasty with the top coat.

7306128_orig.jpg

A disappointed me found this!

2589549_orig.jpg

The paint is tacky to the touch and it's all gone blotchy as can clearly be seen on the rear hull.

1914044_orig.jpg

It just goes to show that life and painting isn't perfect every time.

I shall leave things overnight to see if matters improve then, attempt another coat and if this doesn't work out - back to square one!

Next Time: If at first you don't succeed ...... try, try again!

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1