Mig-31BM Foxhound 1:48

Mike

That's very good news about the G-factor set!! Where did you hear about it? I can't find G-factor's website...

While I don't want to criticise the SAC products in any way (they certainly have got their good uses!!) I wouldn't necessarily choose a white metal product on the basis of strength. It may not break like a plastic one, but will bend and sag instead over time.

For strength I think you'll need either a harder material (like white bronze, nickel silver or brass) or a compound assembly where a metal rod is inserted into a plastic (or resin) strut.

Jeffrey

- I agree with you....

Hi Mike, just a quick query, ihave this kit on its way but i gather they dont supply seat belts or insrument decals, i guess Eduard will take care of the instruments, but i have two sets of Eduard late seats for the Mig 29 and am wondering if they would be okay to use in place of the kit ones.

Also with the Akan paints did you order them as a set, as the Coastal craft web site seems to only sell them as sets. Hope you dont mind these questions, as after looking at you build i like to try and replicate some of your attention to detail, many thanks for the build blog its a great help.

Dave

I can't comment on the seats, as I'm not too au fait with the details, but I used Mig-29 seatbelts from Eduard in my build.

As to the paints, I rang Martin and he sorted me out with the individual paints. I do need to pick up the SU-33 set from him however, so I'll be giving him a call soon :)

I've had absolutely no problems with my landing gear struts, but I left them off until I had done everything but the final few parts, so perhaps mine weren't under as much stress? They had also plenty of time for the glue to cure (I'm talking weeks) before they were put under pressure.

Officially in the technical documentation of the MiG-31 the name and type of the seat is: K-36DM Seria 5 ejection seat. For the modellers this translates to any later version of the K-36DM including the Eduard set. As to the authenticity of the Brassin seat I would not want to comment.

So yes you can use the resin seat as long as it has the integral harness system. The only problem you could encounter is that the AMK kit was designed with the AMK seat and some of the aftermarket seats could be of a very different size.

Please note that in the second run AMK will have the earlier version of the MiG-31B interceptors. Many of the early interceptors had a slightly different seat which did not have an integral harness system but only quick connectors at the end of distinctive yellow straps and the pilot got into the cockpit wearing his IPS-72 body harness. So there you will need a different seat.

As to an aftermarket harness I have helped with my original harness one manufacture to design a set for the AMK kit (and it is not Eduard). It should be out very soon (hope).

Best regards

Gabor

That's very good news about the G-factor set!! Where did you hear about it? I can't find G-factor's website...

While I don't want to criticise the SAC products in any way (they certainly have got their good uses!!) I wouldn't necessarily choose a white metal product on the basis of strength. It may not break like a plastic one, but will bend and sag instead over time.

For strength I think you'll need either a harder material (like white bronze, nickel silver or brass) or a compound assembly where a metal rod is inserted into a plastic (or resin) strut.

Jeffrey

Ernie is doing it in brass. Dunno about SAC.

• Like 1

I've had absolutely no problems with my landing gear struts, but I left them off until I had done everything but the final few parts, so perhaps mine weren't under as much stress? They had also plenty of time for the glue to cure (I'm talking weeks) before they were put under pressure.

It's not the struts themselves, but the bogies and axles. Their attachment points are small and thin. One of the main wheel axles broke off somehow, I don't even know. I opened the box and it just fell off as I picked up the jet. The nose gear has a very thin point where it trails behind at an angle. That only took a tap with the box lid to break it off. Funnily enough, I added the gear early and had nothing break, just the super camber episode, but that was my fault. After I fixed it, I had no other issues until it was done.

It's not the struts themselves, but the bogies and axles. Their attachment points are small and thin. One of the main wheel axles broke off somehow, I don't even know. I opened the box and it just fell off as I picked up the jet. The nose gear has a very thin point where it trails behind at an angle. That only took a tap with the box lid to break it off. Funnily enough, I added the gear early and had nothing break, just the super camber episode, but that was my fault. After I fixed it, I had no other issues until it was done.

Naery a problem with those chaps either. Weird, isn't it? That said however, brass landing gear parts sound very tempting, so maybe I'll have to get a set for the next one :wicked:

• Like 1

Let me make the decision easier... you were talking about the decision, weren't you? :unsure:

It's a superb kit, and you really should have one. At least one. Imagine how cool it will look next to their forthcoming B/BS and the Foxbat. There you go. Now tell your wallet it won't hurt a bit, and ante up ;)

You'll get it eventually Frank. Can't be that urgent if you're just going to stash it :tease: Get it out and build it when it arrives. It's like a tonic for the jaded modeller ;)

Let me make the decision easier... you were talking about the decision, weren't you? :unsure:

It's a superb kit, and you really should have one. At least one. Imagine how cool it will look next to their forthcoming B/BS and the Foxbat. There you go. Now tell your wallet it won't hurt a bit, and ante up ;)

Not to forget the F-14! Well, it's sitting in the basket now...Just one more step.

You'll get it eventually Frank. Can't be that urgent if you're just going to stash it :tease: Get it out and build it when it arrives. It's like a tonic for the jaded modeller ;)

Jaded? Moi? On my fourth model this year already, regular production line.

Just arrived via neighbour. Still no tracking!

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Mine just arrived, I only ordered it on Tuesday! (PM me if you want to know who provides such slick service!) I can see what all the fuss is about. It's an absolute BEAUTY! AMK can take over the world as far as I'm concerned.

I can tell Mr Aires that his services will definitely not be required, and at just £37 Messrs Tamiya, Trumpeter and Hasegawa can take a running jump too. (Mr Academy is still welcome though!)

And while I'm in a critical mood, I would recommend G-Factor indestructible brass u/c legs in a heartbeat, especially compared to the bendy, overpriced offerings of Scale Aircraft Collapses.

Al

• Like 2

Mine arrived today and blown away with the details and moldings! Just brilliant and I am struggling to see what aftermarket it could possibly need.

Got mine delivered (UK) for a tad over £41.00 from MWJ Models which also arrived just 2 days later!

Gary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dear AMK, can you please announce a partnership with Ikea so that we can get a glass display cabinet big enough to put my two MiG-31 models in when I eventually finish them, plus all the other kits you hopefully will make in the future.

With thanks

Les

It exists. It's called a fishtank (wise to empty out the water and rehome the fish first though).

• Like 1