New book on NEI Army Aviation Corps aircraft

Peter Boer

Guys,

On behalf of the publisher, apologies. Your orders have been properly received I was told, but... The first lot of printed books has been returned to the printer by the publisher, as the photographs and some other illustrations were printed in too low a quality. Just last Friday it has been decided that the book will be reprinted after the photographs and illustrations have been reworked. This, unfortunately, will take some time. I have received one of the misprints myself and although the book looks very good on the outside and the text is fine, many of the photographs and some sketch maps do indeed look awful. I'll put in a new message when the reprints are there.

Regards,

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my copy of the book through the post today and it is very well researched indeed with lots of interesting facts inside but I feel that the additional 10 Euro postage charge to the UK has bumped it up to a price that I feel a little uncomfortable about paying (especially as it was effectively pre ordered)...........the total cost invoiced being 56 Euro`s which equates to £43.58p! Would I have paid this if I`d seen it on a bookshop shelf or been told the postage price before ordering,.........to be honest I`m not sure?

The postage price on the package was 9 Euro`s, so the additional charge for 10 Euro`s p+p isn`t the half postage price that I was led to believe it would be,.......plus I now believe that I will also incur bank charges to pay via IBAN international banknumber when Visa etc would be so much easier! I also thought that books were exempted from VAT (charged at 6% on my invoice) or is that only in the UK?

That said,......if the NEI is your main area of interest then this book is still a `must have' buy and well done on such a thorough job Peter, but I feel that your publisher has let you down by being greedy.

Cheers

Tony

Edit- A word of warning,.....the final cost actually ended up being £56 Sterling after bank charges incurred by the publishers only payment method,......ouch! Why they could not accept Visa/ Paypal etc in this day and age is beyond me. So would I have paid £56 in a bookshop,......NO!,...... Sorry Peter as none of this is your fault.

Edited by tonyot

Tony,

Thanks for the information regarding your experience. I live in Indonesia and would dearly love to get a hold of this book but I am concerned too regarding the payment method and also the reliability of Posindo to deliver the book. I am at the moment reluctant to try.

Cheers,

Ken

Tony,

Thanks for the information regarding your experience. I live in Indonesia and would dearly love to get a hold of this book but I am concerned too regarding the payment method and also the reliability of Posindo to deliver the book. I am at the moment reluctant to try.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken has summed up my thoughts exactly. I too live in Asia, albeit further North than Ken. I am very keen to get hold of a copy of this book, particularly as it parallels my interest in the RAAF in the SWPA. particularly in the early days when they fought alongside the NEI air forces.

I understand the book is large, (500pp), and therefore weighty, but based on Tony's experience, and the fact that postage would be a lot higher, not to mention those exorbitant bank charges, I estimate that I would be paying at least A$150. That's a hell of a lot to pay for a book, sight unseen. That, plus similar concerns to Ken re safe delivery means I will probably wait until I see one 'in the flesh'.

Magpie 22

G'day Peter and Ken,

Book is 560 pages and at first glance seems to be "the answer to a maiden's prayer" and certainly much more comprehensive than anything else I've got in my library. Packaging was excellent and defied Australia Post's best (or should that be worst) efforts to damage it. Cost including p/p to Oz was 56 euros or about AUD 90 plus the bank transfer fee of about AUD 30.

Ley

• Like 1

I received the book yesterday, it's a 560 page hardback, about A5 size

Pictures are spread throughout the text(Bloody Shamble'-style)and, it has to be said, even after reprinting, are a bit flat & murky.

Price is €46 + €7.50 post, which is a bit high but not outrageous.

The big trouble is that the publishers want paid by direct bank transfer, which thanks to the rip-off charges by UK banks is going to bottom about a third extra to the cost of the book!

I'm going to e-mail the publishers to see if there's a more sensible way of paying (credit card or even Paypal.)

If not, they can have it back!

John MaccG

To be honest, the price is not really the issue, it is the ability to get it safely to Indonesia. I have not even began to contemplate a payment process via international bank transfer. That will be a fun day if it happens. As others have said - there in this day and age much better payment options available.

HI Peter

could you, or your publishers, not sell a box to a UK bookshop, for example,

the Aviation Bookshop,

https://www.aviation-bookshop.com/

which just sells aviation titles. Not much help for some of out non-UK based members, but perhaps an idea to consider?

Regarding the Aviation Megastore, they use couriers, so the shipping is often 'how much!'

HTH

T

Things getting worse; have forwarded all your comments to the publisher (who, unfortunately, is selling the vast majority of his books within the euro zone, so little experience with sales elsewhere).

Regards,

Peter

The best solution is they set up a paypal account, is easy to do and comfy for payments from all over the world

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

I e-mailed these people two weeks ago, when I got the book (which is very good, except for the somewhat muddy pictures), saying I couldn't pay by direct bank transfer.

Still haven't the courtesy of a reply yet. Do they WANT paid?

I'm going to try again later today, and if I haven't got a reply in 10 days or so, I might even write them a (rather sharp) letter!

JohnMacG

A good idea to try again in ten days or so. I'll also contact the publisher again, but I recently learned that he has been in the hospital being operated on kidney stones. Nevertheless, mr Wybrants Marcussen, the publisher, is an old fashioned publisher who promised me to personally look for a solution and contact the people in the UK who have ordered the book.

Peter