Cockerel and Shark

Thirty-five years ago I built a Heller 1/72 Nieuport-Delage NiD-622. I chase an Armée de l'Aire scheme depicting an aircraft from Esc. 6 with a cockerel painted on the fuselage sides. For this GB I wanted to build the same scheme. I chose the modern Azur kit. You can see the box below.

NiD-001.jpg

Besides the Esc.6 cockerel scheme, the kit also has markings for an Esc 3C1 aircraft from the Aéronautique navale. Given that the fuselage of the NiD-622 is very sharklike, I feel that this scheme is very apposite, but I still want to build the classic cockerel scheme. So I just don't know. What does the BM massive think?

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 3

I know for a fact that I can walk on water if there is a single shark sharing the same cubic mile of water with me!!!

So go for the shark! Why sacrifice the small, perverse pleasures of life?

JR

• Like 1

I'm liking these - interesting choices as well as being French inter-war aircraft that haven't been too near the ugly stick.

Wez

• Like 2

Enzo, as you've got two kits, build 'em both, otherwise I would have said one scheme on one side and the other scheme on the other... Think I had the Heller kit at one time but never got to build it, what a shame!

Colin

• Like 1

That's just excessive mate :D

What was the badge on the 622, anyway?

nodnodnod I may have got a little carried away. :lol:

To be honest, I'm regretting that I chose that kit, because the aircraft on the box art is from GC.III/4 based at Maison Blanche in Algeria during 1940. That's a wartime NiD-622, which is pretty interesting! :D The badge looks to be of a winged demon holding a serpent in its claws with a pentangle over the top.

• Like 2

Hmm well I can't blame you for getting carried away a bit :D - I've got the Heller kit too, it looks pretty nice but the decals are fossilised.

I have to say if it were me I'd be building the Azur 622 in the boxart markings for sure. What was the difference between all these variants? I've seen a nice looking Belgian Nid-72 from Azur too with the 'Comet' squadron markings - I plan (eventually) on building a Gladiator with the same badge so it would compliment it nicely...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

What was the difference between all these variants?

As far as I can work out, the NiD-42 was of wooden construction, 62 was of mixed construction and the 52 & 72 were of metal construction. There were also differences in radiator placement. The 62 had twin radiators located on the undercarriage legs and the Spanish versions of the 52 had a single radiator unit projecting from the underside of the nose.

There might have been differences with the lower wing but I haven't yet worked out what they are.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Enzo, I was looking at the engines and thinking "Do they all look the same?" - I thought there might be different versions for export or something...

SteveJ60's got the Heller 622 in the build queue as well as one of those Mureaux things, quite a relief for me, for a while it looked as if it was going to be all jets :D

Cheers,

Stew

Time to get going!

The kits are identical in the plastic and resin parts. Once again, fully up to the usual Azur standard. There are two sets of the lower stub wings, probably for use in other versions.

NiD-002.jpg

NiD-003.jpg

The cockpits are made up completely of resin.

NiD-004.jpg

Interior blue for the cockpits? Any pointers gratefully accepted.

• Like 1

Hmm I'm not sure about that Enzo, I think Bleu de Nuit was a latecomer to the interior colour scheme, if I recall correctly a medium-grey might be more appropriate.

Subject to correction by notre freres Francais, bien sur :)

Cheers,

Stew

Hmm I'm not sure about that Enzo, I think Bleu de Nuit was a latecomer to the interior colour scheme, if I recall correctly a medium-grey might be more appropriate.

Subject to correction by notre freres Francais, bien sur :)

Cheers,

Stew

In those days, the interior of French cockpits were usually "Chamois", i.e. a light beige. The control panel is supposed to be aluminium though.

With these colours you should be in the right ball park!

JR

• 5 weeks later...

The cockpits assembled and ready to be fitted. These components are resin with the instrument panels and seatbelts in PE.

NiD-007.jpg

I have simplified the cockpit assemblies slightly. There is another stringer in the assembly which also supports a smaller instrument panel. I dispensed with the stringers and glues the panel to the cockpit wall.

NiD-008.jpg

Fuselages assembled with tailplanes and sesquiplanes attached. At this point they remind me of manatees.

NiD-009.jpg

• Like 4

I am not sure what they look like, but it looks highly unlikely such a contraption will ever take to the air!

Good and quick build so far!

JR