Bristol Blenheim Mk IV - Airfix 1/72 - with canopy frame tape picture

This kit was built in the 1970's (I think) and refurbished to test a couple of things.

The first was the recent DK Decals.

http://www.dkdecals.cz/navod_blenheim_1.jpg

One of their first releases was a set for Blenheims including this one

BlenheimIV_114Sqn_zps8469cfbc.jpg

There was a discussion on Britmodeller about this one and I think they got it correct. As it is a heavily rivetted surface, if they work here, they'll work anywhere.

14940934453_4232e852fe_c.jpgP10804

The decals performed very well, settling on to the unkind surface and taking matt varnish quite well.

The next was decal strips for the canopy framing. These are produced by a company called Custom Hobby Decals

http://customhobbydecals.com/product/an-assortment-of-fine-lines-200mm-in-length/

I actually only had red ones but I used a black laundry marker to make them black. They are very easy to use and worked well - they are pretty tough and can be 'glued' down with Future. They come in thin, medium and thick variants - I don't know what mine were but they were about scale thickness for framing.

15558435251_0ab3169d77_c.jpg
We are considering commissioning some different colours - Dark Earth, Dark Green, Ocean Grey etc.....

I made little attempt to improve this vintage kit apart from replacing the lost turret. My friends would call it a 'one metre model' but it served its purpose well.........

15561110845_3c3c7aa527_o.jpg

15561111235_22f8e1dc6b_o.jpg

15375466580_f98dbe49c5_o.jpg

• Like 13

That's a really nice Blenheim! The cockpit glazing framing does a lot for the overall impression – painted decal strips?

The grainy engine exhuast collector rings are perhaps better seen from some distance, though…

Slick work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Great Blenheim, especially such and old timer!

I always wanted to do it, and never found it,,, maybe best to wait for a new one!

Despite the myriad of rivets, it still looks the part.

Well done

JR

perhaps better seen from some distance, though…

Hehe - I did suggest one metre!

The black framing around the nose transparencies I wouldn't have predicted.

I suspect the photo I have included is the only one of this aircraft. This profile

http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark113-115.htm

would have it all over Night. Certainly not impossible.

I'm guessing about the framing and I know Mr DK Decals was too.

This is the decal to which I refer. These are proper black ones.

15432944628_e547f1ee44_o.jpg

The interesting thing about these is that they are precision die-cut along the length so there is a very sharp edga and no carrier film visible.

I have some ideas about either having some printed in useful colours like Dark Green, Foliage Green, Dark Earth, Silver etc in a range of widths useful for canopy frames.

An alternate would be the clear decal sheet ready die-cut in suitable widths ready to paint at the ame time as the uppersurface. I'm trying this with my Stirling build and I'll report back.