New Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F-14 (A, Late A, D) Tomcat

Robert

WHAT!!!

I must admit, the Tomcat is my favourite jet fighter but that said, I do find it hard to believe that Tamiya are planning a new tool 1/48th kit. Sacrilegious statement I know... If it is true, Tamiya will more than likely release an F-14D first, then an F-14A several millennia later.

The last new tool Tamiya kit, the F-16CJ came out of nowhere and while a typically brilliant Tamiya product, it was missing some noticeable parts. To this day there is no explanation for this, or weather there will be a 'second run' with the missing parts included. It appears a bit complacent dare I say... More to the point, instead of all this, GET THE FLAMING F-16B/D TOOLED INSTEAD!!!

You really like the Phantom!

The F-14 is an iconic aircraft regardless of the fact that only 2 nations operate/operated it and your rather snobbish example of people who's opinions count... A lot of 'enthusiasts' would also disagree and conclude that the MiG-21, B-52, C-130 Hercules, Harrier, Hawk etc. are the most iconic military aircraft of the last 50 years.

The Electra/P-3 Orion, along with the C-130 are still in service all over the place over 50 years later, instant aviation icons... It's all down to emotional response to the design really, a never ending argument of opinion...

If you take Giorgios 'iconic fighter of the last 30 years' and ask anyone in the street you probably won't hear the F-4 Phantom being mentioned as much as Su-27, MiG-29, F-14/15/16, F/A-18, Tornado, Mirage deltas, 'Red Arrows' etc. but what do they know...

Please READ all of the responses before commenting……If you did, you would have seen that I previously quoted the MiG-21 as another iconic aircraft of recent times that would, most likely, surpass the F-14 in any given poll. I totally agree with your last sentence……there are several other aircraft that could 'fit the bill'…..I was simply comparing the F-4 with the F-14…..nothing to do with the number of air forces per se…..merely a comparison to suggest that whilst the F-14 is, without doubt, a very well known and popular aircraft through its long years of service and exposure through popular culture, it would be hard to label it THE iconic combat aircraft of the last 30 years……As you quite rightly point out, there are several others that could claim that accolade depending on popular choice.

You have taken the word 'snobbish' totally out of context too….It's not snobbishness, its merely pointing out that those 'closest' to working with or being associated with a particular aircraft type may have an opinion on it…..nothing more…nothing less...

• Like 1

If Scalemate are correct with their information, it would point to a new Tamiya mould and not a Italeri mould.

Tamiya 1/48 scale kits start with a 61 number. When they use other companies moulds the number starts with

a 37 or 89. The last new 1/48th kit from Tamiya was the IL-2 Shturmovik 61113. The rumoured Tomcat is 61114.

With most WW11 subjects covered, I believe Tamiya will produce more jets in this scale.

The Tomcat is an icon and I'm convinced this is the next release from Tamiya.

It won't be cheap, quality never is. But it will be a superb kit.

• Like 2

Please READ all of the responses before commenting……If you did, you would have seen that I previously quoted the MiG-21 as another iconic aircraft of recent times that would, most likely, surpass the F-14 in any given poll. I totally agree with your last sentence……there are several other aircraft that could 'fit the bill'…..I was simply comparing the F-4 with the F-14…..nothing to do with the number of air forces per se…..merely a comparison to suggest that whilst the F-14 is, without doubt, a very well known and popular aircraft through its long years of service and exposure through popular culture, it would be hard to label it THE iconic combat aircraft of the last 30 years……As you quite rightly point out, there are several others that could claim that accolade depending on popular choice.

You have taken the word 'snobbish' totally out of context too….It's not snobbishness, its merely pointing out that those 'closest' to working with or being associated with a particular aircraft type may have an opinion on it…..nothing more…nothing less...

Loosen up dude, you're taking this 'Iconic Fighter' thing far too seriously B)...

Logically, I did read the thread before my first comment. My response to you was partly with regards to what I have highlighted in bold and underlined in your quote, your comparison between the F-4 and F-14, which you previously argued which 'deserves' to be claimed as more iconic than the other and if the F-14 'deserves' to even be called iconic... Simply put, the F-14 is an iconic aircraft, much like the F-15 Eagle, F-16 Falcon, Tornado, Mirage, etc. that replaced the ageing yet iconic F-4 Phantom around the world...

I was also cheekily challenging your Phantom Phixation by throwing in the P-3, C-130, B-52, etc. to highlight that these aircraft could also be labelled as iconic or the iconic military aircraft of the past 50 years, using your previously stated 'criteria'...

The original comment by Giorgio was that the F-14 is one of the iconic fighters of the last 30 (not 50) years. Like it or not, the F-14 has defined the word 'Fighter' to generations of individuals worldwide much like the Spitfire, Bf-109, Mustang, Fw-190, Corsair, Zero Sen, Sabre, MiG-15, F-4 and MiG-21 did in their 'era'. Folks know what they are and what they do/did. The crux of this never ending argument of opinion is the emotional response of an individual, from any generation, applied to a fighter of a given generation. This is why I also threw the Su-27, MiG-29, F-15, F-16, F/A-18, Tornado, etc. into the mix. Whatever pulls your heartstrings...

Yes, it is snobbish to state those you listed as 'closer' to the subject matter as "who's opinions matter", you can't backtrack from that... It's the same logic as a public poll on resolving the economy only to decide that the Bankers, Investors, Shareholders, CEO's, etc. opinions matter because they are 'closer' to the subject at hand :P...

Anyhoo, apologies to all for going off on a tangent from the thread topic :). If this rumour is true, I'll certainly be getting one (or more) from HLJ, which will be much cheaper than the UK RRP, even if duty is paid on top...

• Like 2

Couple of questions, what's TPS? I assume the S is for sheme?

What's missing from the F-16CJ?

Paul Harrison

Couple of questions, what's TPS? I assume the S is for sheme?

What's missing from the F-16CJ?

Paul Harrison

TPS actually stands for Totally Pointless Sacrilege, of the 'Hi Visibility' era...

Nah! Parabat is the speaker of truth here and to be honest, the F-14 looked good in all it cammo schemes, both American and Iranian. I do have a fondness for the Gull Grey/White scheme for the same reason as I like the ADTAC F-15's, pure nostalgia from an era I didn't really experience... :huh:

The Tamiya 1/72 F-16CJ still absolutely excellent but is missing some it's pylons, missile launchers, weapons and all of its fuel tanks, despite the decals for them being included. The 1/48 kit is 'all a'dat home bwoy' - eng. 'Absolutely marvellous'. There are resin pylon and fuel tank sets being released from Attack Squadron which is nice but it just adds to the cost of the kit or negates the savings made from ordering overseas...

Yes, I'm a bit of a whiner on this particular subject because it appears as totally uncharacteristic complacency from Tamiya. It would have been nice if Tamiya did a 'Great Wall Hobby' and offered the 'missing' parts somehow or included them in a second production run. Oh well.

Loosen up dude, you're taking this 'Iconic Fighter' thing far too seriously B)...

Logically, I did read the thread before my first comment. My response to you was partly with regards to what I have highlighted in bold and underlined in your quote, your comparison between the F-4 and F-14, which you previously argued which 'deserves' to be claimed as more iconic than the other and if the F-14 'deserves' to even be called iconic... Simply put, the F-14 is an iconic aircraft, much like the F-15 Eagle, F-16 Falcon, Tornado, Mirage, etc. that replaced the ageing yet iconic F-4 Phantom around the world...

I was also cheekily challenging your Phantom Phixation by throwing in the P-3, C-130, B-52, etc. to highlight that these aircraft could also be labelled as iconic or the iconic military aircraft of the past 50 years, using your previously stated 'criteria'...

The original comment by Giorgio was that the F-14 is one of the iconic fighters of the last 30 (not 50) years. Like it or not, the F-14 has defined the word 'Fighter' to generations of individuals worldwide much like the Spitfire, Bf-109, Mustang, Fw-190, Corsair, Zero Sen, Sabre, MiG-15, F-4 and MiG-21 did in their 'era'. Folks know what they are and what they do/did. The crux of this never ending argument of opinion is the emotional response of an individual, from any generation, applied to a fighter of a given generation. This is why I also threw the Su-27, MiG-29, F-15, F-16, F/A-18, Tornado, etc. into the mix. Whatever pulls your heartstrings...

Yes, it is snobbish to state those you listed as 'closer' to the subject matter as "who's opinions matter", you can't backtrack from that... It's the same logic as a public poll on resolving the economy only to decide that the Bankers, Investors, Shareholders, CEO's, etc. opinions matter because they are 'closer' to the subject at hand :P...

Anyhoo, apologies to all for going off on a tangent from the thread topic :). If this rumour is true, I'll certainly be getting one (or more) from HLJ, which will be much cheaper than the UK RRP, even if duty is paid on top...

I do not need to quote "loosen up" unquote and I am not a quote "dude" unquote either……but like I said previously…..you need to learn to READ…….Please go back to Giorgio's OP in which he stated quote "The F-14 Tomcat is simply THE world's most iconic fighter of the last 30 years" unquote……he did not mention the word "one" in his original quote which is why I took some exception to the statement. READ before you write !

Once again you have used the word snobbish out of context….

……and, yes……..do get back on the main topic of the thread, "dude" (whatever that is - seem to recall its a rather dated reference to a person often quoted in awful US daytime television of the 1970s that sounds utterly ridiculous when used by people with a British accent……much like "cool"…..both words/phrases should be reserved for our cousins across the water)

Getting back on track.

Every November Tamiya has a model fair and they show some new releases for next year. As they have not mentioned anything for this weekend All Japan Model & Hobby Show the possibility is they will make an announcement in November.

Robert

• Like 2

I think your right Robert. If the rumours are true, that's when it will be announced.

The next 1/32nd scale Corsair will also be on display I would have thought.

More expense! I know what I want Santa to bring me.

Getting back on track.

Every November Tamiya has a model fair and they show some new releases for next year. As they have not mentioned anything for this weekend All Japan Model & Hobby Show the possibility is they will make an announcement in November.

Robert

Yes, absolutely. As much as I do hope for a new-tool F-14 Tomcat to Tamiya's standards, I think we modellers may have taken the initial hints of rumour a little out of context:

Original rumour starter...

Yes, the Scalemates information but that can be post with relative ease... With regards to the quote above, who's to say that the new tool F-14 isn't coming from Kinetic? Right when we least expect it! Would go quite well with the new tool, 1/48:

E-2 Hawkeye

C-2 Greyhound

A-6 Intruder

EA-6B Prowler

S-2 Tracker

T-45 Goshawk

What could be missing? Oh yeah, a 1/48 F-14 Tomcat and F/A-18 Hornet!!! Just a thought. :D

I do not need to quote "loosen up" unquote and I am not a quote "dude" unquote either……but like I said previously…..you need to learn to READ…….Please go back to Giorgio's OP in which he stated quote "The F-14 Tomcat is simply THE world's most iconic fighter of the last 30 years" unquote……he did not mention the word "one" in his original quote which is why I took some exception to the statement. READ before you write ! :winkgrin:

Once again you have used the word snobbish out of context…. :rolleyes:

……and, yes……..do get back on the main topic of the thread, "dude" (whatever that is - seem to recall its a rather dated reference to a person often quoted in awful US daytime television of the 1970s that sounds utterly ridiculous when used by people with a British accent……much like "cool"…..both words/phrases should be reserved for our cousins across the water) <_<

:chillpill:Amigo. You should be more vigilant with regards to your own posts before coming down heavy on those with a difference of opinion...!!! 'Ladies and Gentlemen' (hope that's 'British' and formal enough) of my Generation (the mid 1980's) still use that outdated reference 'Dude', especially where I come from!!! I live and work in England but was neither born or raised in the UK, which is one of the reasons my 'accent' may appear different form yours at times...

Point taken though. I shall strive to be more 'British' on this fresh, unique, British themed website/forum, as not to annoy you and other like minded 'Brits' with the culture of my origins... I'm probably better off not coming back though :bye:

• Like 4

Potentially a great new kit being released, to the delight of many, and it's already descended into an argument and picking on people's use of words and phrases...

C'mon guys, no need!

The topic is about a new tooled F-14 kit, let's leave it on that path :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

Potentially a great new kit being released, to the delight of many, and it's already descended into an argument and picking on people's use of words and phrases...

C'mon guys, no need!

The topic is about a new tooled F-14 kit, let's leave it on that path :thumbsup2:

Absolutely,

The Tomcat's always on my mind... Just the tip of the iceberg shamelessly:

tumblr_nc1oj8xHjt1rl7qlzo1_1280.jpg

Wonderful kits but just getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak, they are not easy builds!!! Yes, a new tool will be most welcome, especially to Tamiya's standards of engineering and quality but as mentioned before, speculation about Tamiya could prove to be just that.

There is every reason the rumoured kit may come from the man himself at Kinetic (if he's still there that is...). Don't mean to put a downer on things...

• Like 2

Good lord! Seeing all those Tomcats reminded me, I have one of those in my loft. If I recall, it had a small etched set.

I never started it & forgot all about it. I'm not even sure which one it was, but I think it was the Sundowners markings.

Getting back on track.

Robert

The post over at ARC has generated 12k in views in just two weeks. This one is approaching 8k. That's a lot of views in a short period of time. If Tamiya doesn't release the kit I hope they see how popular the choice would be.

The Airfix thread here is almost 3 months ld and has 16k views. I think that is an interesting comparison.

I agree as to when they may announce this kit.

With the way they designed their, simply brilliant F-16 kits in both 48th and 32nd, it always looked a two 2 seat F-16 is just around the corner.

If they bring out F-14 out of nowhere, I will be extremely surprised. F-14 Tomcat is well covered by Hasegawa in 1/48th anyways.

With the way they designed their, simply brilliant F-16 kits in both 48th and 32nd, it always looked a two 2 seat F-16 is just around the corner.

If they bring out F-14 out of nowhere, I will be extremely surprised. F-14 Tomcat is well covered by Hasegawa in 1/48th anyways.

That would be like me saying that Hasegawa have the F-16 well covered.

The Hasegawa kit IS good, but needs serious updating through expensive resin add ons.

The level of detail and fit in the Tamiya F-16's would be what every Tomcat fan would be dreaming of.

I too hope that if it is not a reality, Tamiya observe the scale of discussion and interest that a F-14 from their stable is creating.

Fightertown decals are talking about new F-14 decals and re-releasing old, sold out sheets.

Ah, the Golden Age cometh!

• Like 2

That would be like me saying that Hasegawa have the F-16 well covered.

The Hasegawa kit IS good, but needs serious updating through expensive resin add ons.

The level of detail and fit in the Tamiya F-16's would be what every Tomcat fan would be dreaming of.

I too hope that if it is not a reality, Tamiya observe the scale of discussion and interest that a F-14 from their stable is creating.

Fightertown decals are talking about new F-14 decals and re-releasing old, sold out sheets.

Ah, the Golden Age cometh!

Agreed! With their F-16 kits, you dont need any aftermarket. I have built 3. 3 more in storage. Absolutely beautiful kit and a benchmark in quality.

Buy a Hasegawa and start looking for aftermarket at the same time. :)

Agreed! With their F-16 kits, you dont need any aftermarket. I have built 3. 3 more in storage. Absolutely beautiful kit and a benchmark in quality.

Buy a Hasegawa and start looking for aftermarket at the same time. :)

Exactly!

I saw a video on edohsama.blogspot.co.uk showing the latest scale model news from the

All Japan model and Hobby Show 2014. No mention of a F14 Tomcat.

They showed the F4U-1A Corsair in 1/32nd, the Toyota Phaeton and Jagdpanzer IV in 1/35th,

also a Dingo Armoured Scout Car in 1/48th and a few more.

Let's hope they didn't want to take the spot light off these new releases and will announce

one later in the year.

I am waiting for their own show in early November. Hopefully they will still be having one and an annoncement will be made then.

Tamiya does things when they are ready.

Robert

• 1 month later...

I've seen some photos of the show, but no mention of the Tomcat.

They were on The Tamiya blog