AModel's 1/72 Dornier Do26D

Hi,

A few images of my most recent kit. A big improvement on the Mach2 kit although still in need of some work to bring it up looking good. Not recommended for the feint-hearted! Having said that, I'm very pleased with the end result. Full build can be seen on Hyperscale sit under Plastic Pixs - do a search for 'AModel Dornier Do26D' and you'll get the full works.

Hope you like the pics.

Regards,

Paul

ar-GEDC4554_zps5d9cd20d.jpg ar-GEDC4547_zps5121b5be.jpg ar-GEDC4545_zps51ab456c.jpg ar-GEDC4554_zps5d9cd20d.jpg

• Like 14

Hi, Stew...

Thanks for your comments. I do understand your pain, believe me! Drawing the fuselage halves together wasn't exactly the easiest job in the world but keep at it. You'll need a lot of patience and the same amount of filler, perhaps! But it is 'do-able'. I look forward to seeing your finished kit ;-).

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Yes, I'm currently testing the gap-filling capabilities of gel super-glue, surprisingly good actually but I will have to remember not to pick the model up for a while :D

You got a nice join of the wing 'shoulders' to the fuselage too, was that careful sanding beforehand or careful filling afterwards?

Cheers,

Stew

Hi, Stew...

It was careful filling after joining the wing centre section. On the rear join, I needed the reworked fuselage insert, where it meets the join, to be properly aligned so that when the replacement strake lines were added from stretched sprue after the area was properly blended together, they ran straight when viewed in profile... I didn't want there to be the slightest hint of a bump or unevenness. To ensure this was the case, I inserted a length of spare sprue into the fuselage to support the insert where it meets the wing centre section. As I write this, I remember I forgot to remove it from the model before attaching the side blisters and also that I hadn't glued it as I intended it to be only a temporary arrangement until this area was finished... at least I'll know what's rattling about inside if ever I hear that sound!

Dave/Jessica,

Thanks for looking in. I'm glad you like the finished kit. To answer your question, Jessica, there are certain parts within this kit that I suspect are for the civil version (different engine cowlings, parts to blank off the turret on the bow and the opening under the blisters and alternative rudders), but there are no markings for that aircraft as AModel market the civil version as a separate kit. Not sure if that's been released yet or if it was out before the military version, but a quick look on Hannants' website should let you know. As I suggested at the top of the thread, it is an improvement on the Mach2 kit but challenging in its own way.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by obdl3945
  • Like 1

Very cool build.

I've always liked the Dornier flying boats, and the 26 is probably the coolest.

Kudos on building the A-model kit, they scare me too much to contemplate!

Karl

I am also currently working on this plastic monster. Docking of fuselage halves - it quite complicated. You did it perfectly. And where did you get this color scheme?

Hi, Stew...

It was careful filling after joining the wing centre section. On the rear join, I needed the reworked fuselage insert, where it meets the join, to be properly aligned so that when the replacement strake lines were added from stretched sprue after the area was properly blended together, they ran straight when viewed in profile... I didn't want there to be the slightest hint of a bump or unevenness. To ensure this was the case, I inserted a length of spare sprue into the fuselage to support the insert where it meets the wing centre section. As I write this, I remember I forgot to remove it from the model before attaching the side blisters and also that I hadn't glued it as I intended it to be only a temporary arrangement until this area was finished... at least I'll know what's rattling about inside if ever I hear that sound!

Thanks Paul, that's very comprehensive and probably turn out to be more than my capabilities but at least I am prepared for issues there and that is half the battle :lol:. Cheers mate,

Jess, as Paul pointed out there is a civil version of the kit which came out prior to this one, Hannants have it in stock.

Cheers,

Stew

Karl, Jer & Fuad...

Thanks for your kind comments.

Fuad,

There's a German language publication called 'Flugzeug Profile' which covers various specific types of aircraft. Not sure if they're all WW2 but it certainly covers several types, some more unknown such as the Ar232 transport and this Do26. Publication No.51 covers the Do26. I got mine from here www.christian-schmidt.com (site can be switched to English language version if necessary). There are three images of this aircarft at the very back of the book, including an aerial view showing most of the uppersurface layout of the white distemper pattern. It also gives good interior detail and information on the civil version too.

Regards,

Paul

Well - I have seen a couple of Mach2 Do 26 built but your AModel example beats them all !

Really clean build with an interesting finish well executed - congratulations.

Makes me almost wanting to increase the stash ...

Rolf

Hi, guys...

Again, thanks for the comments. Glad you liked the finished model :-).

Regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...