1/72 Jet Provosts - Finished

Thanks Mark,

Plan. I'm gonna go with the circular masks. To that end the wing tips have had a squirt of white:

IMG_2166_zps1d4b1d96.jpg

Hmm. Looks a bit grey in the photo - promise you it's white.

But I also have an evil bay order in for X72041 to keep my options open.

Procopius - you're off the hook I think - but thank you very much for the kind offer.

On to the red. With much trepidation.

This conversation about acrylics is interesting. I use acrylics almost exclusively and don't appear to be suffering the same issues that you guys are experiencing.

Could it be the brand of paint that gives the problems?

My go to ranges are Citadel and Valejo which I mix with plain water.

Am I doing anything different to those of you who are having problems?

I have only used Tamiya, humbrol and revell acrylics so far and used Tamiya x-20a thinner with each. I suspect the roughness occurs because I haven't yet mastered the paint/thinner, pressure combinations. Not sure about the peeling tho'

Steve

• Like 1

Just a further observation before you put the red in the airbrush. The grey on the wing LE seems to change shade at the point the red starts. Its like that on the 2 air to air shots and on the Hendon JP. Not sure if its an illusion thingymbob.

Not an illusion and a good spot. I looked closely at the Hendon example when I was at the museum and it looked to me like the wing leading edge has a rough textured grey paint applied - presumably some sort of airflow modifier (or anti icing?). I'll probably try and replicate it with a slightly darker grey and matt finish.

Steve

• Like 1

I wonder if you took Andy's advice before slurping the red on?

Spray the underneath colour first over the masking then later the upper colour will almost certainly not creep under

Creepage being taken care of by the first spray over the masks

Do you need me to check out the L.E colour change when I go on Toosday?

I'm like all of us though, excited about the colours going on :thumbsup:

Depends on the paint brand, in my vaguely considered (after a few vodka gimlets, mind) opinion; I've had little trouble with, say, Tamiya red, but a world of pains with Testor's white.

Also, Fritag, I've found Tamiya thinner rarely works well with non-Tamiya paints for me.

• Like 1

Ha Cheshiretaurus! That's me in "129" in formation and my picture from the Church Fenton site - taken in early '86!!!!!!

Really reaching into the depths of my memory but I think that the rough outside edges of the leading edges of the Mk5As were to help with stability. The Mk3As had their tip tanks which effectively did the same job.

Tim

Edited by feifeitim
  • Like 3

Ha Cheshiretaurus! That's me in "129" in formation and my picture from the Church Fenton site - taken in early '86!!!!!!

Well I suppose i'd better do the right thing and check if its ok to display the pic on here then? :winkgrin:

1986, that backs up the theory a bit more that the rings were lost in the St Athen visit.

Thanks

Mark

There you go Mark. Just another demonstration of Tim's superior formation skills.........

1986, that backs up the theory a bit more that the rings were lost in the St Athen visit.

Agreed. On the assumption (which seems reasonable) that both the upperside and underside of the wings were treated the same (i.e. both roundels with white rings or both without rings - but not one of each) then the pre-St Athens photo of XW360 you found showing a white ringed roundel underneath the wing and the post St Athen photo of Tim in XW360 showing a non-ringed upperside roundel are pretty persuasive.

So in 1982/83 the probability is that XW360 had white ringed roundels top and bottom. Unless anyone knows better.........

I wonder if you took Andy's advice before slurping the red on?

Another way is to spray a coat of clear along the tape edges - that'll also seal it.

Umhhh. Suddenly I'm not looking forward to unmasking........

Depends on the paint brand, in my vaguely considered (after a few vodka gimlets, mind) opinion; I've had little trouble with, say, Tamiya red, but a world of pains with Testor's white.

Also, Fritag, I've found Tamiya thinner rarely works well with non-Tamiya paints for me.

Aye, life is complicated enough already - so why does your hobby have to throw in in all these imponderables?.......

Before model zone closed I had easy local access to paint so I could browse, buy and try.......Now it's internet shopping it's not so quick or straightforward to try different combinations.

Its been a long time since I used my airbrush but I remember Red and yellow were always god awful colours to spray. Nightmare. ;)

So far with the JP's I've found that (all thinned with Tamiya thinner) the Tamiya flat white went on easily enough but needed a few coats to get decent coverage - slight tendency to roughen - micro meshed without problem.

Airfix 166 light aircraft grey satin went on easily and covered well but had a uniformly very slightly rough finish. Acceptable enough but not perfect; micro meshed well in the main but inexplicably peeled in one or two places.

Revell 330 satin fiery red went on easily and smoothly. Haven't tried mocromeshing it yet.

I think I may not have thinned the Tamiya and Airfix paints quite enough and I wonder if that may have caused or contributed to the slight roughness?

Haven't unmasked yet to see if there is any paint peeling on umasking.....

That said - just I was leaving for the gym this morning I did whip off the port fuselage roundel mask for a peek:

4BB93DE5-6B95-40AB-A6C5-E8E4C807BF69_zps

I can see what Mark mean't about needing sunglasses. All that red certainly confused the poor old iPhone metering.

I hope the rest of the masking comes off so cleanly. It won't of course............

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

Umhhh. Suddenly I'm not looking forward to unmasking........

Steve, although I have all these 'good practice' techniques in my modelling 'knowledge bank', Mr.lazy modeller takes over 99% of the time & I never bother! I find that the same 99% of the time if I've burnished the tape down well enough & try not to spray directly at the edge that I get very little creep under the tape edge. I do pay particular attention though to making sure the tape gets into all panel lines by burnishing it in with a cocktail stick.

And just putting my pedantic hat on a minute - it is St. Athan giving St. Athans , not St. Athen and St. Athens. I believe the latter might be a Hellenic Air Force base somewhere....!! :tease:

Pedantic headwear removed...!

Keith

PS - iPhone has made that look like a lovely dayglo red JP on my monitor!! :coolio::D

And just putting my pedantic hat on a minute - it is St. Athan giving St. Athans , not St. Athen and St. Athens. I believe the latter might be a Hellenic Air Force base somewhere....!! :tease:

I stand corrected its St Athan

Airfield_entrance_-_St_Athan_-_geograph.

I was going to say something, but I thought better of it, you can tell he was Occifer material, as he probably never got threatened with Saint's and the VC (Valley COmmando's) LOL

• Like 1

I stand corrected its St Athan

Me too.

So - I took several deep breaths - tried to ignore the fact that i'd failed to follow good advice on how to avoid paint creep under masking tape - and gently prized off and disposed of (seemed like) half a roll of Tamiya 6mm masking tape. This is what I found......

4B3267F3-10D2-4B66-A5F4-797152B48865_zps

EEDFC19B-A0AA-4A4D-999F-7C86363A327D_zps

F3DB53D7-04B9-4E3C-83B8-959B5EA2993C_zps

3ED679FB-DABC-4A87-BE34-FC02D3EB6931_zps

E9BD7671-88BE-4692-BED4-C3E8C2CA8EF3_zps

A4C510CE-645F-4B7E-B5B4-F44221E1EE41_zps

FA9E5015-8E3E-40D7-8F0B-178EB0320DC3_zps

Not so bad. Survived it I reckon - only a few tiny bits of creep to sort out.

I's best let it all harden for a while now I think.

Steve

BTW. Bill - if you do go to Hendon on Tuesday I would appreciate your comments on the LE colour change Ta.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9

You Complete and Utter Utter Bar steward!!! If I'd have done that, I'd have got paint creep up the ying yang!!! :(

Seriously, awesome work Steve, looking Excellent :)

Even although it is only part finished - That is one smart looking jet!

Due respect to you for pulling it off so well.

I meant to mention that a JP5a flew over Wetherby on Saturday as I was wandering about. Low enough that there was no doubt what it was - but too high to see any detail but a silhouette and an occasional flash of shiny red. Reminded me just how noisy for such a little jet it was.

Brought a lump to my throat. Well nearly. Well alright it didn't - but it was still nice to see. Used to be such a common sight (and sound) over N Yorkshire......

• Like 1

I've given it a light coat of Klear now; really more protect the surface for the moment so that the paint doesn't get marked or damaged with handling.

D7111038-2025-46E4-838C-32E5B40D39D3_zps

FF1FFD45-C5E6-4258-A072-D08E5BE8B2FC_zps

But it has the bonus effect of making it look richer and closer to the finished article.

Steve

• Like 6